Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

smuraix1
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Shindo jinen Ryu, C.Gracie Lineage jiu jitsu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:22 pm    Post subject: Thoughts on Machida karate Reply with quote

It follows the same path as all major Karate styles that were born from combining other styles. Machida Karate combines elements of Shotokan, MT, BJJ if Im not mistaken. The founders of the major Karate styles did not even compete, but their styles grew in popularity in to what they are today.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Machida Karate is tailor-made for modern mixed martial arts competition, although it's still largely kickboxing in a keikogi, in my opinion. That isn't necessarily bad, but it's not my kind of karate. You're certainly right that they have blended their karate with other things (you forgot Sumo, btw), which is in-line with the original development of karate, so I'm not hating on it. I just prefer a different approach
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

LionsDen
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Machida karate is shotokan, machida MMA is a different thing completely.

smuraix1
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know someone that trains at their academy, he taught me a kata the Machidas created, and that they teach their students...

The kata is basically Taikyoku Shodan, but with a mae geri to gyakutsuki instead of just oi-zukis. The punch is executed while keeping your opposite hand up to your Chin.

Sailor Sindbad
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kobayashi Shorin-ryu, Shotokan, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not gonna lie; I'd feel like a total goofball wearing a gi that had shorts instead of trousers.
Judo, 2023: Novice
Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, 2023 - Present: White Belt

smuraix1
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Machida Karate is tailor-made for modern mixed martial arts competition, although it's still largely kickboxing in a keikogi, in my opinion. That isn't necessarily bad, but it's not my kind of karate. You're certainly right that they have blended their karate with other things (you forgot Sumo, btw), which is in-line with the original development of karate, so I'm not hating on it. I just prefer a different approach

It's not my style of Karate, though, because there are several key characteristics in their style that aren't as prominent as in conventional Shotokan.

They have a YouTube channel, for example, where one of their videos shows them teaching their version of Oi tzuki.

Chinzo's backfoot is entirely lifted during the performance, which was a big no-no for me when I was training all the time.
Keep the back foot firmly and sink your weight into the punch, we were taught.

A YouTube viewer inquired about it, and their channel responded "Attacking stance is poor; back heel is up"

the Machida channel says, "heel down and plant to the ground does not applicable in real life.""

smuraix1
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not gonna lie; I'd feel like a total goofball wearing a gi that had shorts instead of trousers.

yep, Ill stick to traditional Shotokan etiqutte

RW
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tremendous respect for Lyoto. By the way, he was my favorite UFC fighter for a long, long time. I basically see him as the real life Ryu (Street Fighter 2).

I think the whole "machida karate" thing is a savvy marketing idea that happened accidentally.

Lyoto was a shotokan karate guy. He has had training in many other styles, even sumo, but his striking base had always been shotokan. Of course, you can't compete in MMA by sticking to your style. No one uses pure boxing in MMA, or pure Muay thai, not even pure BJJ. Everybody adapts their boxing/muay thai/BJJ /wrestling to compete in MMA, and karate is no exception - lyoto adapted his shotokan to compete in MMA.

When he won the championship he was super excited and told to the mic "karate is back!! Machida karate!!", meaning, his family's karate, I don't think he meant it was a separate style or anything like that.

The term stuck and now people thinks there's a Machida karate, sort of like there is a kyokushin, a goju ryu, etc. If that were the case we'd have a Shogun Rua Muay Thai, a Randy Couture Wrestling, a Brock Lesnar wrestling, an Anderson Silva BJJ, etc, we'd have more styles than letters in the alphaber for each art.

Just my 2 cents

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smuraix1 wrote:
Quote:

It's not my style of Karate, though, because there are several key characteristics in their style that aren't as prominent as in conventional Shotokan.

They have a YouTube channel, for example, where one of their videos shows them teaching their version of Oi tzuki.

Chinzo's backfoot is entirely lifted during the performance, which was a big no-no for me when I was training all the time.

A YouTube viewer inquired about it, and their channel responded "Attacking stance is poor; back heel is up"

the Machida channel says, "heel down and plant to the ground does not applicable in real life.""

I think most "traditional" Karate stylists would have an issue with doing it that way because of the aesthetics of it. It's been drilled and drilled into us over the years that in a front stance, the back heels stays down on the ground. In actuality, I believe the heel off the ground allows you to drive more power forward into the target. Yet we all know from forms competitions that if the back heel pops up, you're gonna get dinged on your points for it, regardless of how practical an application it may be.

LionsDen
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
smuraix1 wrote:
Quote:

I think most "traditional" Karate stylists would have an issue with doing it that way because of the aesthetics of it. It's been drilled and drilled into us over the years that in a front stance, the back heels stays down on the ground. In actuality, I believe the heel off the ground allows you to drive more power forward into the target. Yet we all know from forms competitions that if the back heel pops up, you're gonna get dinged on your points for it, regardless of how practical an application it may be.

I think applicability should be the focus of karate personally, and should be part of the evolution of karate going forward imho.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: