Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That helps out a lot, thank you.

Wado Heretic
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu , Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu (Kodokan), RyuKyu Kobojutsu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Does tegumi contain grappling on the ground between the two participants, or is it more of standing grappling involving joint manipulation?

The modern sport of Tegumi, as far as I know, does not. It is much closer to it's Japanese cousin Sumo. Pre-War Tegumi did continue on the ground, and involved pinning and submission techniques, not unlike Indian Pehlwani. Regarding Tegumi and Karate practice, this particular aspect varies from Dojo to Dojo.

I did not receive much direct Tegumi instruction, with what I did learn being through kata application in the form of Kiso Kumite. Most of my grappling knowledge is derived from Amateur Wrestling, Judo, Gracie Combatives, and Shoot-Fighting. However, I have been able to use that knowledge, and resources such as the work of Patrick McCarthy to develop a comprehensive approach to Tegumi for my students.

I consider it an integral knowledge base to have, otherwise it is incredibly difficult to discern realistic applications from the kata. I believe a lot of kata applications would be vastly improved if those doing them had an actual grasp of going strength to strength against a resisting opponent.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Thanks for the explanation, and the further replies here. Does tegumi contain grappling on the ground between the two participants, or is it more of standing grappling involving joint manipulation?

Yes, and then some!! Kind of like when Kenneth and Kendall are wrestling each other at home, just being boys...that's Tegumi in a nutshell.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
Thanks for the explanation, and the further replies here. Does tegumi contain grappling on the ground between the two participants, or is it more of standing grappling involving joint manipulation?

Yes, and then some!! Kind of like when Kenneth and Kendall are wrestling each other at home, just being boys...that's Tegumi in a nutshell.

Thankfully, we keep that to a minimum at home!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:

Thankfully, we keep that to a minimum at home!

But, not at a wrestling competition; release the beast!!

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wado Heretic wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
Does tegumi contain grappling on the ground between the two participants, or is it more of standing grappling involving joint manipulation?

The modern sport of Tegumi, as far as I know, does not. It is much closer to it's Japanese cousin Sumo. Pre-War Tegumi did continue on the ground, and involved pinning and submission techniques, not unlike Indian Pehlwani. Regarding Tegumi and Karate practice, this particular aspect varies from Dojo to Dojo.

To the bold; The ground fighting aspect comes from Gao Quan and Dishu Quan which are essentially the the same art. However the objective in Muto is not to pin and submit the opponent but to create time and distance to afford you time to get back to your feet. This is done by means of creating distance by kicks to force the opponent to maintain their distance, by means of damage due to kicking the limbs thus giving an opportunity to get back to your feet, by means of sweeping or taking down the opponent thus giving you an opportunity to return to your feet.

The common misconception is that Tegumi had/has a component of ground fighting like Jujutsu whereas the practitioner pulls or takes the opponent down to the ground to pin or submit. This is not the intent or goal of this component. The goal is always to return to your feet which is where you engage the opponent. There is no (at least I have never been taught) a submissive/pinning side of the ground fighting component of Muto (Tegumi). Often times this is from another art being passed off as Muto.

Having said that the throws, takedowns, sweeps and off balancing techniques are both similar and also very different from modern wrestling, Judo, Jujutsu, Aikido, etc. The intent is definitely different as it's not meant to win points but to damage the opponent. The throws are performed to slam or up end an opponent so as to drop them on there head vs. throwing them to their backs.

Wado Heretic wrote:
I did not receive much direct Tegumi instruction, with what I did learn being through kata application in the form of Kiso Kumite. Most of my grappling knowledge is derived from Amateur Wrestling, Judo, Gracie Combatives, and Shoot-Fighting. However, I have been able to use that knowledge, and resources such as the work of Patrick McCarthy to develop a comprehensive approach to Tegumi for my students.

I consider it an integral knowledge base to have, otherwise it is incredibly difficult to discern realistic applications from the kata. I believe a lot of kata applications would be vastly improved if those doing them had an actual grasp of going strength to strength against a resisting opponent.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: