Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterPain wrote:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb56dTPbcNs

Look at the first punch landed by the guy in the first part of this video and what he does immediately afterward. The best reason to not take the first punch is that you might get knocked silly and have your head stomped on. Save the fair fights for the ring or cage when there is a referee and doctor there for the safety of the fighters. If someone is breaking into your house or has decided that violence is necessary because you are black, white, Protestant, Hari Krishna, gay, a Democrat, or Federalist, you cannot assume they will stop attacking you because you admit defeat.

Absofreakinlutely right.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
MasterPain wrote:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb56dTPbcNs

Look at the first punch landed by the guy in the first part of this video and what he does immediately afterward. The best reason to not take the first punch is that you might get knocked silly and have your head stomped on. Save the fair fights for the ring or cage when there is a referee and doctor there for the safety of the fighters. If someone is breaking into your house or has decided that violence is necessary because you are black, white, Protestant, Hari Krishna, gay, a Democrat, or Federalist, you cannot assume they will stop attacking you because you admit defeat.

Absofreakinlutely right.

Doublelytriplely ditto.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Throw the first punch? Reply with quote

JohnC wrote:
Question: Is it time to revise this assumption and teach preemptive strike, as the RBSD folks contend?

In a word - "Yes."

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To cite an example from my day to day work, I pre-emptively put anyone in hand cuffs that a) has been violent even prior to my arrival, b) or might become violent based on this state and the history on the call, or c) may have had or it has been suggested that he might have any sort of weapon.

Now, from time to time this idea of being cuffed for safety will push some people over the edge and a fight will be precipitated. That's okay with me. I picked the time and place for hostilities to begin. I'm mentally prepared and anticipating resistance. This keeps me from being suprised and starting from a negitive position.

The same is true when we talk about sigular combat. If the subject's history is violent, his body posture indicates he's prepping for a fight, and he makes preparatorymovements for combat; then it's best to pick the instant of aggression and start the fight from a mentally superior, if not physical position, of superiority.

BladeSmartNY
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kali, JKD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most street fights end with one guy pummeling the other guy. It's highly unlikely that you will square off with someone and start throwing jabs and sidekicks to gauge your opponent.

The average guy you get into a fight with doesn't have training. Or maybe at best he did a little of this or a little of that. When you start blasting him with non stop punches he won't know what to do.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I'd say that's a good reason to start off with the first punch. Why give the guy a chance to establish some confidence?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karate ni sente nashi is a fine maxim. I support it and I believe in it and I teach it and I practice it. However, I've no problem with throwing the first punch...kick...strike...kitchen sink....bathtub.

"He who hesitates, meditates horizontally"~Ed Parker

I will not hesitate in throwing the first punch if I believe it's necessarily warranted to do so!! After that, I'll deal with right or wrong: criminally or not, in a court of law.

Solid_Snake1211
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Kyokushin karate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your first move represents your style if you do aikido or this kinda MA you must w8 for the first strike
You Push Yourself Until You Think you've Reached Your Limit. First Your Body Wants To Stop, But Your Mind Keeps Pushing You. Then Your Mind Wants To Stop, But Your Spirit Keeps You Going. You Endure The Pain. You persevere. THIS IS OSU!!

Dobbersky
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Black Tiger Ashihara Karate Jutsu, Japanese Kickboxing, Cheng Man Ch'ing TaiChi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Karate ni sente nashi is a fine maxim. I support it and I believe in it and I teach it and I practice it. However, I've no problem with throwing the first punch...kick...strike...kitchen sink....bathtub.

"He who hesitates, meditates horizontally"~Ed Parker

I will not hesitate in throwing the first punch if I believe it's necessarily warranted to do so!! After that, I'll deal with right or wrong: criminally or not, in a court of law.

Pre emptive striking is an excellent medium and works well with Karate's ethos, countering your opponents step to prepare to strike is still Karate ni sente nashi but at a different level

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid_Snake1211 wrote:
Your first move represents your style if you do aikido or this kinda MA you must w8 for the first strike

I don't think you have to wait. Even in Aikido, if you have determined that you cannot avoid a confrontation, then there are ways to generate the energy needed to perform a technique prior to being punched at, kicked at, or grabbed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9
Jump to: