Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Ti/Di and Quan Fa Techniques Reply with quote

How many utilize the old ways and still utilize Ti/Di and Quan Fa (Bubishi) techniques as a apart of their curriculum? Most of these techniques are taught via Torite (Tuite), Tegumi, and Kyusho from the Kata.
Do you teach Torite, Tegumi and Kyusho independently of the Kata or as a part of teaching Bunkai, Bunseki, Oyo?
What techniques do you utilize that are not in the typical curriculum of most forms of Karate? Example; Tsumasaki (toe kick), Kuma Di (Bear Hand), groin tear, eye gouge, blood pool hand, etc, etc.
If you utilize and implement these or other Koryu techniques do you condition these weapons or is this just taught as an addition to your Kihon?
We utilize these and other techniques and are taught them through the Kata and not as a separate part of training. These are extracted from the Kata and taught after the student has learned the Kata and often while the student is learning the Kata from Nanakyu to Godan.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you're speaking about here is what Shindokan is about; very old school mindset, which, to me, doesn't surprise me seeing that our Soke was born and raised and trained in Okinawa. In that, we do condition ourselves through various methods, but primarily it's done with Hojo Undo.

Wado Heretic
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu , Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu (Kodokan), RyuKyu Kobojutsu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I research them, and use them as a guide, but I place more emphasis on results than recreation or rediscovery. If after research and pressure testing, we find they work in a semi-controlled situation we will codify and maintain our discoveries.

Hojo Undo is an integral part of our training regime and we do focus on conditioning all our tools, and we do contextualise the techniques by working them against kigu. A lot of the more unusual looking waza after all make little sense without testing and seeing how they can work. Plus, I take a homogeneous approach to conditioning; the smallest cogs in the wheel must work as smoothly as the largest. Plus, even in doing a "safe" technique which does not use a conventionally vulnerable body part, in the chaos of actual combat the difference of a millimeter can lead to one hurting them self. So one cannot realistically dismiss any part when it comes to conditioning.

When it comes to Bunkai; I might give hints as to ways to implement certain techniques, with relation to the ideas of koppo or kyushu, but I generally favour a "flinch" response, and retaking the initiative approach to the kata. To paraphrase Motobu Choki, the kata were not intended for the battlefield nor to face an opponent in an arena, and that they have limitations. Also, Mabuni Kenwa emphasised the ideal of spontaneous defences that can arrise from the kata. I do not know the original intents of the kata movements, and I am not sure any one does; so I prefer to experiment, find my uses, and then help others in finding their own.

In terms of structure of teaching; I do generally introduce kihon waza, where the analogous technique has been covered in the kata now being worked on. However, I do generally view kihon-waza as hojo undo; techniques to improve physique, hence the often exaggerated movements of kihon-waza. I prefer to refine the actual techniques for combat through pad-work, and through testing the kata movements.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: