Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

JohnASE
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: TIGER CLAW BRAND Reply with quote

masterphoenix wrote:
I can tell you from personal experience that there is a lot of turnover in their help, which amounts to a lot of mistakes out of the TN facility.

Interesting point. I'm in California, so I've never dealt with the Tennessee facility. It hadn't occurred to me that things might be vastly different. Sales team turnover in CA isn't bad. They have, on occasion, backordered something and not told us, but our orders are large enough that we have other things that arrive in a couple days with the backorder noted on the invoice. We've never been left hanging with no contact.
masterphoenix wrote:
Best MA supply...but again, no real online ordering system for instructors.

Thanks for mentioning this. My wife keeps telling me we should make this a priority. Our business is almost all to instructors, so I know she's right, but there are so many other projects in the works. I'll keep this in mind though.

masterphoenix
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: TIGER CLAW BRAND Reply with quote

JohnASE wrote:
masterphoenix wrote:
I can tell you from personal experience that there is a lot of turnover in their help, which amounts to a lot of mistakes out of the TN facility.

Interesting point. I'm in California, so I've never dealt with the Tennessee facility. It hadn't occurred to me that things might be vastly different. Sales team turnover in CA isn't bad. They have, on occasion, backordered something and not told us, but our orders are large enough that we have other things that arrive in a couple days with the backorder noted on the invoice. We've never been left hanging with no contact.
masterphoenix wrote:
Best MA supply...but again, no real online ordering system for instructors.

Thanks for mentioning this. My wife keeps telling me we should make this a priority. Our business is almost all to instructors, so I know she's right, but there are so many other projects in the works. I'll keep this in mind though.

What are you selling?

JohnASE
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for asking. Sorry if we're taking this too off topic.

We're a small martial art supply company that's been in business for about 18 years. We're in the Los Angeles area but sell all over the country. We dabble in retail, but sell mostly to schools and a few stores. We import much of our inventory, but we buy a lot domestically, too.

Our own ASE brand merchandise includes uniforms, belts, and some sparring gear. Off the top of my head, we also sell Macho, GTMA, Best, AWMA, Adidas, Tokon, Tokaido, and Tiger Claw, of course. We don't try to have everything for everyone, but we try to have most of the things people need most often. If we don't have something, we'll special order it for our wholesale customers.

I set up a retail website (link in signature), but all I have listed so far are DVDs from Japan. It's one of our most exclusive lines. My plan is to put up some uniforms next. I don't plan on offering our entire inventory and all our services on a retail level, so we might need to set up a separate wholesale site. Future project.

isshinryu5toforever
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshin-Ryu Karate, Jidokwon Taekwondo, Kyokushinkan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting back to Tiger Claw brand belts and such, my instructor's school has gotten Century, Tiger Claw, and off-brand belts for the students over the years. Here was my impression, Century belts were very stiff, but eventually broke in well, and they didn't bleed.

Tiger Claw brand belts were better. They weren't too stiff, even straight out of the package, and they didn't bleed either.

A lot of off-brand, super cheap belts, weren't stiff at all, which is good, but they would bleed terribly for about 5 months. People wearing certain belts barely needed to wear their belt it seemed. Green and purple belts had a nice green or purple ring around their waist from the dye in the belts.

I'd say, if you're not going super high end Tokaido, Shureido, etc. go for a well-established brand.

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."
- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

JiuJitsuNation
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: BJJ Judo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Tiger Claw and I'm in TN. I get everything next day and have had no issues. Been using them for 3 years now.

masterphoenix
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JiuJitsuNation wrote:
I use Tiger Claw and I'm in TN. I get everything next day and have had no issues. Been using them for 3 years now.

Glad to hear it. I had 2 years worth of nothing but nightmares with them after Rand left. I left a message for the owner at the East Coast facility, and they never even returned my call.

masterphoenix
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnASE wrote:
Thanks for asking. Sorry if we're taking this too off topic.

We're a small martial art supply company that's been in business for about 18 years. We're in the Los Angeles area but sell all over the country. We dabble in retail, but sell mostly to schools and a few stores. We import much of our inventory, but we buy a lot domestically, too.

Our own ASE brand merchandise includes uniforms, belts, and some sparring gear. Off the top of my head, we also sell Macho, GTMA, Best, AWMA, Adidas, Tokon, Tokaido, and Tiger Claw, of course. We don't try to have everything for everyone, but we try to have most of the things people need most often. If we don't have something, we'll special order it for our wholesale customers.

I set up a retail website (link in signature), but all I have listed so far are DVDs from Japan. It's one of our most exclusive lines. My plan is to put up some uniforms next. I don't plan on offering our entire inventory and all our services on a retail level, so we might need to set up a separate wholesale site. Future project.

Do you publish a catalog then?

masterphoenix
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isshinryu5toforever wrote:
Getting back to Tiger Claw brand belts and such, my instructor's school has gotten Century, Tiger Claw, and off-brand belts for the students over the years. Here was my impression, Century belts were very stiff, but eventually broke in well, and they didn't bleed.

Tiger Claw brand belts were better. They weren't too stiff, even straight out of the package, and they didn't bleed either.

A lot of off-brand, super cheap belts, weren't stiff at all, which is good, but they would bleed terribly for about 5 months. People wearing certain belts barely needed to wear their belt it seemed. Green and purple belts had a nice green or purple ring around their waist from the dye in the belts.

I'd say, if you're not going super high end Tokaido, Shureido, etc. go for a well-established brand.

Century's belts are firm, but very thing, and they burn them off at the ends instead of hemming. This hard, sharp plastic edge can amount to injuries, particularly in grappling or ground drills. One of these sharp edges scratched someone's eye. We always shoot for stitched belts. I like Golden Tiger's belts and Asian World's. For black belts, I always use Sang Moo Sa and get the deluxe quality if they don't want to spend the big bucks. If they do, I always go for Eosin Panther.

JohnASE
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="masterphoenix"]
JohnASE wrote:
Do you publish a catalog then?

We don't have a photo catalog, but we have a 12 page wholesale price list with some description. Message me here or email the address on our contact page to discuss details if you'd like a copy.

Akikazeninja
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Ninjutsu Jujutsu Taijutsu Commando Krav Maga

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya i dont think you can go wrong with tiger claw its a large company so it will not always be the best but i have a century middleweight gi and it has worked fine for me
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: