Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

scohen0300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject: Tips for a powerful front snap kick? Reply with quote

Kicking with the ball of the foot, not the top.

Since I trained in Muay Thai before I came to karate, I take great pride in my round kick and the loud bang it makes on the pads and heavy bags. But I’ve always felt like my front kick is so weak and pitiful! Is this just the nature of the front kick VS the round kick?

Can anyone relate? If anyone can offer tips on technique or supplementary exercises, I’d greatly appreciate it!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Developing power takes time in executing proper technique. Kicking something like a hanging bag, but it must be done on a regular basis, making sure that once one becomes fatigued, they'll stop for some rest before continuing. Imagine a spot behind said target, in this case, the hanging bag, and penetrate through the target, and not only at the target; penetrate the target always.

Some things to remember, and realize that the first person to ask for any help is your CI. Nonetheless...

1) Avoid not kicking directly to the front of the body; balance is weakened and efficient use of the maximum number of body muscles impaired.

2) Avoid not raising the knee high enough up to the chest; unless the kicking foot is raised at least as high as the knee of the supporting leg, the kick turns into a sort of a shoveling motion, neither a snap or a thrust kick; also, the kicking leg should be bent as sharply as possible.

3) Avoid bending the back and extending the hips backward; this destroys balance and prevents the body from absorbing the shock of the impact; the kick is weakened without the thrusting forward of the hips.

4) Avoid lowering the kicking leg to the ground without first withdrawing the knee to the chest; this creates an opportunity for the opponent to grab the leg and also weakens balance and delays preparation for the next technique.

5) Avoid lifting the heel or straightening the knee of the supporting leg; this weakens balance and control.

The knee muscles of the kicking leg should be relaxed and ankle and knee of the stationary leg slightly bent. Smooth movements and not jerking; keep toes bend backwards, unless kicking the groin, in that case, bend toes downward.

Always remember that your front snap kick is a kick, and not a push. To awaken or activate your hips, pivot your supporting foot at 45-degrees, this will enable you to exert your pressure forward thereby translating into more power and velocity. However, any movement might telegraph any intent; that's quite another topic, therefore, non-telegraphic movements is an art all in itself.

Train hard and train well.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Developing power takes time in executing proper technique. Kicking something like a hanging bag, but it must be done on a regular basis, making sure that once one becomes fatigued, they'll stop for some rest before continuing. Imagine a spot behind said target, in this case, the hanging bag, and penetrate through the target, and not only at the target; penetrate the target always.

Some things to remember, and realize that the first person to ask for any help is your CI. Nonetheless...

1) Avoid not kicking directly to the front of the body; balance is weakened and efficient use of the maximum number of body muscles impaired.

2) Avoid not raising the knee high enough up to the chest; unless the kicking foot is raised at least as high as the knee of the supporting leg, the kick turns into a sort of a shoveling motion, neither a snap or a thrust kick; also, the kicking leg should be bent as sharply as possible.

3) Avoid bending the back and extending the hips backward; this destroys balance and prevents the body from absorbing the shock of the impact; the kick is weakened without the thrusting forward of the hips.

4) Avoid lowering the kicking leg to the ground without first withdrawing the knee to the chest; this creates an opportunity for the opponent to grab the leg and also weakens balance and delays preparation for the next technique.

5) Avoid lifting the heel or straightening the knee of the supporting leg; this weakens balance and control.

The knee muscles of the kicking leg should be relaxed and ankle and knee of the stationary leg slightly bent. Smooth movements and not jerking; keep toes bend backwards, unless kicking the groin, in that case, bend toes downward.

Always remember that your front snap kick is a kick, and not a push. To awaken or activate your hips, pivot your supporting foot at 45-degrees, this will enable you to exert your pressure forward thereby translating into more power and velocity. However, any movement might telegraph any intent; that's quite another topic, therefore, non-telegraphic movements is an art all in itself.

These are all good instructions. I would especially emphasize the thrust of the hip forward to generate power. Snap out fast, and snap back fast.

scohen0300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sensei8,

Your response is exactly what I needed. Thank you so much!!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scohen0300 wrote:
Sensei8,

Your response is exactly what I needed. Thank you so much!!

You're more than welcome, scohen0300.

Wado Heretic
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu , Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu (Kodokan), RyuKyu Kobojutsu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Tip: Practice.

Second Tip: Practice.

I understand they are technically the same tip, but being so very important, I felt the need to mention it twice.

Joking aside, Sensei8's advice is excellent, and I wholeheartedly endorse it.

All I would add is strengthening and conditioning for the legs is the other way to improve your kicks in general. Hindu Squats, backward lunges, and burpees are all great exercises you can do without equipment and in a small space. They will build explosive power, and strengthen the muscle groups involved in a front kick. Additionally, dynamic stretching, and isometric stretches, before and after training respectively will improve flexibility. Front leg lifts, a split lunge, a forward fold, and a hamstring stretch are what will most directly work the range of motion for front kick.

Good luck.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wado Heretic wrote:
Quote:
All I would add is strengthening and conditioning for the legs is the other way to improve your kicks in general. Hindu Squats, backward lunges, and burpees are all great exercises you can do without equipment and in a small space. They will build explosive power, and strengthen the muscle groups involved in a front kick. Additionally, dynamic stretching, and isometric stretches, before and after training respectively will improve flexibility. Front leg lifts, a split lunge, a forward fold, and a hamstring stretch are what will most directly work the range of motion for front kick.

Solid post!!

Imagine a tree with real weak roots and soil; not healthy for the tree whatsoever.

The roots can be the strengthening and conditioning for the legs, and the soil can be the dynamic stretching, and isometric stretches that Wado Heretic is speaking about. No reason to improve anything if the roots and the soil remains weak; strong tree being supported my weak landscaping.

aurik
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Shuri-Ryu, Uechi-Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course if you really want to hurt someone with a front kick, kick with the toe . Now if you haven't conditioned your toes for this, you'll probably end up with a broken toe...
Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan
ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aurik wrote:
Of course if you really want to hurt someone with a front kick, kick with the toe . Now if you haven't conditioned your toes for this, you'll probably end up with a broken toe...

...and Uechi-ryu Karate trains to kick with the big toe... and it hurts, I know because I've been kicked with the big toe from a Uechi-ryu practitioner...got my attention quick!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
aurik wrote:

...and Uechi-ryu Karate trains to kick with the big toe... and it hurts, I know because I've been kicked with the big toe from a Uechi-ryu practitioner...got my attention quick!!

I prefer steel toes....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: