Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Pablo
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: So Bahk Do

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: TKD and Aikdo Reply with quote

Would these two paired together be an effective style of fighting? I am using them for purely defensive purposes and I am a rather small person. (5'3" 110lbs).
What would be the weakness of these two fighting styles? Are there any others you would reccomend above these?

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I practice the two styles, but I don't worry about "combining" them. Use TKD when you strike, and when controls come to you, use the Aikido. Eventually, you should be able to put together some transitions.

Another issue I have is using them as what you call "purely defensive." In my mind, I translate this as "waiting to get hit," and this is a bad mindset to have. Just my two cents, though.

Pablo
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
I practice the two styles, but I don't worry about "combining" them. Use TKD when you strike, and when controls come to you, use the Aikido. Eventually, you should be able to put together some transitions.

Another issue I have is using them as what you call "purely defensive." In my mind, I translate this as "waiting to get hit," and this is a bad mindset to have. Just my two cents, though.

Maybe I worded it wrong. I meant it as in, I will not go fight someone unless they have shown me agression. I am not a tournament fighter either. The knowleadge of both styles is so I will not have my rear handed to me.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure they're a good combo. One of my instructors holds blackbelts in both and combines them pretty effectively.

Pablo
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you take 3-4 class a week how long would it tae to get a green/red/black belt?

MMA_Jim
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: BJJ, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: TKD and Aikdo Reply with quote

Pablo wrote:
Would these two paired together be an effective style of fighting? I am using them for purely defensive purposes and I am a rather small person. (5'3" 110lbs).
What would be the weakness of these two fighting styles? Are there any others you would reccomend above these?

Well, you need to seriously consider what the styles are good at. The problem with aikido is that so many people misunderstand what it was designed for- aikido techniques are primarily to disarm a sword bearing opponent, hence so many wristlocks off the feet.

What its not designed to do is to catch someone's punch mid flight and toss them through the air Steven Seagal style. It can be done, but only against the most novice of opponents after significant amounts of practice.

What would I recommend over it? Well, if you're looking for a grappling style, there are plenty, but I get the feeling you'd probably like judo. More effective throws with a good mix of the ground game.

Mistassailant5
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kung Fu, Muay Thai, and Aikido

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats an interesting combination. TKD would be good for longer distances, and if the opponent closes in, you could use aikido. The only weakness you should worry about is no strikes at close range, so just remember that.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistassailant5 wrote:
The only weakness you should worry about is no strikes at close range, so just remember that.

Why no strikes at close range? TKD uses close range strikes as well as long distance; elbows, knees, stamps, close range punching etc.

CTTKDKing
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do, Greco Wrestling, Muay Thai, Sho Bin Ju, Boxing

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer your questions about black belts in TKD, it would really depend on where you study. There are a lot of McDojangs out there that teach TKD and you can achieve a BB in a year or 2. I'd say for my school (WTF) it takes 4 - 5 years to achieve 1st dan. There's a very well recognized ITF school across town as well and there it takes a bit longer (6-7 years). I wouldn't worry about getting a black belt though so much as learning solid techniques. If you learn a good foundation of the basics then you have what you need for self defense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: