Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

HarvesterofSorrow
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently taking wing chun and wanted to incorperate another art in to my training. I was thinking TKD for some long range fighting skills. What do you guys think? I will not try to put the two styles together. If someone is in close already then I will use wing chun. If they are out I would then use kicks.
thanx

[ This Message was edited by: HarvesterofSorrow on 2002-05-28 17:11 ]

rabid hamster
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, what a coinkedink. I do TKD, and I am planning to do either wing chun, hapkido, or ninjitsu when I get a little more advanced. I'm wondering the same thing, but I'd say if you do wing chun, you should probably do an art that includes things like grappling and stuff. And also, doesn't wing chun have kicks(even if they are low)?

spinninggumby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel that sport taekwondo may be a very good complement to wing chun because much of sport tkd does not really operate on any type of theory or ideology (therefore it's quite flexible) and most practitioners just use it in tournaments. The centerline principle(s) ?? in wing chun can be incorporated for self-defense quite easily I would think for someone who is a tkd practitioner yet new to wing chun with good footwork and flexibility and kicking skills. Just as long as the sport tkd guy realizes that he is moving from a sport-oriented discipline to one that is more oriented towards practical application. Wing chun is mostly hands-based and would definitely be great for those WTF'ers who have bad habits of not keeping their hands up to guard.

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

HarvesterofSorrow
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did TKD for a while but then I moved. I miss all the kicking. I believe that it is good to have long range fighting capability as well as up close.

van_damme
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea i was thinking the exact same thing.I do kung/wu shu/wing chun and i want to do TKD.Harversterofsorrow i think you should do TKD..lolz

HarvesterofSorrow
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy that teaches over here is Jae Kim. He Teaches TKD and hapkido. He is 6th or 7th dan but I have yet to see credentials, thats just what it said in the advertisement. It also says he is former Republic of Korean Army Demo Team Instuctor

John G
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: ITF Taekwon-Do, Wing Chun

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find Wing Chun complements TKD is so many ways, as pointed out, TKD is brilliant for long and medium range attacks whereas Wing Chung is great for “in your face” type attacks. Concepts such as occupying the centre and contact reflex are awesome when coupled with TKD techniques.

I think my TKD master must have studied some form of Chinese martial art before, as I now see a lot of Wing Chun fundamentals applied throughout his teachings.

May I suggest that you achieve black belt in your TKD studies before studying Wing Chun, as some Wing Chun concepts go against some TKD concepts which may lead to confusion in your TKD studies.

Regards,

John G Jarrett. 1st degree ITF TKD
Western Australia

[ This Message was edited by: John G on 2002-06-03 01:34 ]

tessone
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has been said elsewhere, getting your black belt is probably a good idea before seriously cross-training.

Also, welcome, John G! Head over to Introductions and say hi.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

inyctrotter
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree John G.....im taking both TKD and Wing Chun Kung Fu. It takes me more time memorize everything. I think its best to go TKD first before Wing Chun. I think that TKD and WC work great together both of these arts were kinda combined in JKD.

The Authorita
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should take take something hard like Muay Thai......yes...yes.....muay thai and Wing Chun are awsome together. Case closed
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: