Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

mastertae
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2001 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKD has very little blocking. It emphasizes speed coordination and timing. There are far more different types of feints and parries than there are blocking. Why? use to as my self well my Grand Master told me one reason is because blocking takes up alot of time even when a person doesn't have to block. I find though that the timing needed in TKD is really hard to get. My friends says it has to feel as if you do all your movements as if it were every day tyoe of thing I would greatly appreciate and suggestions to bring up my timing. I have speed amd some power butI still lack timing.

niel0092
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Kali, TKD, judo (formerly)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2001 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all I'd like to say that there are quite a few blocks in TKD(low, high, inside, outside, X, to name just a few), they just don't get used in sparring all the time. I'm not really sure why but it does seem to be the case. Typically in sparring I'll use a net block to cover my face and ribs as I throw a round kick.

As for improving timing, repitition is the key. Practice counters with a partner constantly. Start at a slower speed and work up to full. Watch how their body moves before durring and after they attack. Use the clues their body sends to let you know when and how to counter. Just be sure to block in case they trick you into moving to soon/late!

taezee
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2001 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

master tae there are plenty of blocks in TKD as far as sport there is a big diference..there has to be a distinction made between sport taekwondo and REAL taekwondo..the two stem from the same roots but remain two tiotally diferrent things

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"

mastertae
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2001 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their are alot of blocks but TKD emasises alot of timing and emphasises that in certain situations blocking is not always the best option...if you can move away from an attack and immediately counter instead of constantly blocking and the countering in two movments...TSD is suppoed to be the ancestoof tkd and is the combat form of tkd...I wsn't rying to say that there is no blocking...I was just saying tkd ephasises alot on timing and immediate counters within one movement...as well as speed...

TKD_McGee
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2001 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea no kidding, what school do you go to?

You always need to block or else you are kicked in the face!

mastertae
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2001 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol..if you can parrie and faint and use the side steps well enough you won't get hit in the face...Im taking a class by 9th degree blk belt Master do and 8th degree blk belt master yoon...but of course blocking is still imporant in taekwondo

Harpoon
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Harpoon on 2002-02-03 15:32 ]

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the Katas TKD has stolen from Karate, I would say there are many blocks

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

spinninggumby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stolen? Technically everything was 'stolen' from Chinese martial arts, which was in turn probably 'stolen' from some even more ancient fighting practice that probably involved either the Romans or the Turks or something like that. Anyways, IMHO, there is nothing wrong with drawing influence and ideas from other arts, seeing as how martial arts is not supposed to be about proving that your art is superior to all other arts. You practice karate. Does all your dedicated hard-core training amount to nothing or is perhaps dishonored because the forefathers of your art practiced a style which was influenced by those guys who lived in that big a$$ country right below theirs?

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Harpoon
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blocking is blocking: you keep your hands in front of you to absorb the impact of any blows. But all that stuff with bringing up your arm and doing a perfect knife hand block or intercepting and sweeping away blows is just something you see in the movies. It isn't used much in free sparring because the action (kicking, punching, etc...) is faster than the reaction (moving your arm to intercept that speeding fist/foot). And I know that it isn't used in a real fight either. So untill we can break the rules of reality like in the Matrix so we can see things slower, or unless your reflexes are really fast, blocking is going to have to stay in the reaction drills where the instructor counts and the whole thing is choreographed.

One reason I don't like Karate... to much emphasis on those big sweeping circle blocks that don't work in an actaul confrontation where the guy is just trying to pound the crap out of you, whether your lucky enough to stop one of his arms or not.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: