Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

mastertae
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi every one...when sparring you must realize that it is only for points...but like both of my grand masters told me...in a fight you must learn to follow through with your kicks...how do you follow through with your kicks...first a person must be willing to hit a person...in tkd that person must know how to use it correctly for it to be any good...most koreans when using tkd for fighting learn to kick the knees, groin and other lower parts and only kick high if you have a chance...also for the most part they suggest learning a form of grappling martial art like hapkido and judo...because tkd is know to be incorporated into other martial arts very smoothly...a fighter must learn to keep a distance they are comfortable with...if you do not know if a technique will work than just do it!...i created this thread so people may give tips or ask questions...so good luck and best wishes to all

mastertae
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

learning to side step and ciculing is important in taekwondo...pracice timing drills with friends than practice them while sparring

Cory Reynolds
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Circling is one of the most overlooked tools when sparring. So many people line fight, as in just travel forward and backwards when sparring and never get "off line" with their opponent. It opens up so many more targets and ways to trick your opponent.

"He who has big mouth has much room for foot."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

spinninggumby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2002 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um a lot of you probably have already known this for a while but if you want quicktime or real player videos of ITF or WTF poomse or hyung you can go to http://www.carbonecho.com. They also have short clips of basic techniques (WTF though I think). Just thought this would help Oh and this site isn't restricted to taekwondo it has video clips for many other styles too. Just thought it would be a good reference for those tkd practitioners who are visual learners who are looking for assistance or refinement of their forms.

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

ramcalgary
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2002 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never back straight up

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2002 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if they get you to the ground in a self defense situation....don't roll onto your stomach.

mastertae
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2002 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

many tkd grand masters do other martial arts such as hapkido...which shows that cross training with other martial arts is just as important

mastertae
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2002 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

remember though you snap your leg to kick with the hip and to snap through!...many tkd practitioners do not do this...while it is ok to just snap with point fighting...both of my grand masters told me that many tkd practitioners do not realize that you are supposed to kick through...in a fight a person should also learn to use the knee's elbows and finger tip thrusts and so forth....if you only us the kicks you are not using the whole tool but only a small section!...remember though that point sparring is different...but still important because it help incorporate some timing and some experience

spinninggumby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2002 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm guessing that almost every tkd instructor worth his/her salt will tell you these basic important concepts but in order to kick well you should always remember:

1) open hip and loose shoulders (full or close to 180 degree pivot of supporting foot in all kicks requiring centrifugal force as well as side kick 'yop chagi'). Even with front type kicks and crescent kicks, it is necessary to pivot ur supporting foot a bit so as to open up the hip and put your waist into the attack and maximize the power of each kicking technique

2) waist and hip torque is where the power originates in a kick, leg muscles, although important, have less to do with it. Strong inner thigh muscles are important for the supporting leg. During a kick, there is a slight static stretch for the supporting leg and a more dynamic stretch in the kicking leg.

3) stretch and strengthen your back muscles and spine. lotta people neglect this part and think that they only need to stretch the legs in order for high and powerful leg techniques

4) for kicking height, do dynamic stretches (leg lifts to front side and back) about twice a day, but don't do it if ur muscles are tired, take a rest for a day. Don't do heavy static stretching until after a workout or after your muscles are warmed up and you are not going to work out anymore. Light static stretching throughout the workout is okay, i suppose. For quicker results do hard-core isometric stretching maybe 2-3 times a week. Although static active or static passive flexibility is not important in dynamic kicking, it can only strengthen the muscles in your legs, hips, waist, and back overall and give you more control with your techniques

5) Chamber before each kicking technique and rechamber quickly after each technique. In order to focus on speed, think of retracting faster instead of snapping the leg out faster, for some reason this seems to work. There is debate as to whether or not actual chambering is practical or faster than a kick that is just brought up and swung around like a battering ram (i.e. muay thai) but I just like it this way b/c it seems a bit harder for me and a bit more aesthetic. Some say that chambering and rechambering is effective so the opponent cannot grab your leg as easily and you are not vulnerable afterwards, but others say that it is slower and sacrifices power and speed, but hey I'll let everyone else decide

6) Maintain balance (this is probably just improved by doing or repeating a technique over and over again) and keep head in and try not to lean torso too much. This might just be a WTF thing though b/c my instructors always tell me to try to minimize the lean as much as possible, to keep your hands/guard up while kicking instead of letting your hands flail, and to keep the head in. I know that WTF is more about upright stances than deep stances so that's just a matter of the opinion of ur teacher/master/instructor or your affiliation or whatever

Well these are some of the things that I always try to keep in mind, although feel free to criticize or correct or offer your own points of view. There are times when I can be really misinformed but hopefully this was halfway helpful

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Cory Reynolds
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2002 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-02-20 17:35, ramcalgary wrote:
Never back straight up

Why not?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: