Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

tessone
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

It is simply ridiculous and unfortunate that so much people fall into this path. If that was the reason they why was the Bible written? Christianity is not a religon, it is an Anti-Religon.

What in the world are you talking about? What is an anti-religion?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

TKD_McGee
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christianity in no way supports other religons, in fact it is condoned in the Bible. Christianity is a way of live. Many Christians believe that the other religons 'Gods' are in fact demons with limited powers able to impress people. It it taught not to be wordly because the world is corrupt and evil.

I have a very good site with all sorts of opinions and ideas about religons. Go under the Christianity area.

http://www.religoustolerance.org

[ This Message was edited by: TKD_McGee on 2002-05-23 09:41 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

tessone
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to tell me what Christianity teaches. Having been raised Lutheran (and I continue to practice), I know just a bit about it.

In case you missed it, most religions are "anti-religions" under your definition. I can think of very few traditional religions which allow one to get into heaven/paradise/Valhalla/whatever and still believe in another god.

Anyhow, read Romans 2. While some churches which associate themselves with the Christian faith are intolerant (think of the South of the last century), Christianity itself is a very tolerant religion. It teaches not to judge, and the guidelines outlined in the Bible are for personal guidance and are not intended as a basis to condemn others.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-04-07 22:26, tigerstyle18 wrote:
To KickChick

If you do teach Sunday school, then you know we're not all damned. Try the most famous of Bible verses, John 3:16-17
Maybe I missunderstood.
Just a thought,
God Bless

Matt 26:52b
All who draw the sword will die by the sword.
.... (this is why I don't train in weapons!)

Let's return to the subject of bowing. I do not expect us to return to 1600's Japan or China. I wouldn't expect our culture to bow to our parents and teachers. A bow in the east is like shaking hands in the west .... pure & simple. If someone offered to shake your hand out of friendship or business would you refuse? I think not ... this would not be respectful of that individual. There is no diff.
Our way in the West or their way in the East.
How about saluting the American Flag? --- same concept.
None of these events change a person's outlook on life or respect but this is the way of the particular culture.

If you wish to further discuss Religion & the Martial Arts .... let's continue this on that particular thread! thanks!

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-05-24 07:03 ]

DokterVet
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Shootwrestling

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2002 11:20 pm    Post subject: Bowing for christians Reply with quote

TKD_McGee, which book is that quote ("...bow to no man...") from?
I am christian, and practice karate in a local church, and I don't have a problem with bowing to my dojo, my classmates, or instructors.

I'd have to read the quote in context to understand it, but similarly to much of the bible, I might not interpret that line literally.

ramymensa
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting topic.
I train in shotokan and i'm an othodox, but it never occured to me that I shouldn't bow while entering the dojo.
I agree with you, those who said that if you don't like to bow ... don't or find another MA which doesn't require that.
And to sue somebody in this matter is ... ludicrous. Perhaps we Europeans, are less interested in the courtrooms
And again about not doing what you dislike ...
I've read a lot about Osu and honestly I don't think I should utter it so many times. The result. I just shut up and nodd my head. Thus sensei would understand I was paying attention.

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think if you join a martial art you should understand that you have to abide by the tradition of the art.

LeaF
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bows have nothing to do with religion it is merely a custum used to show respect, like shaking hands. If people have a problem with certain custums they should not be involved in activity that uses them

I AM CANADIAN

metalhead
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It amazes me how people who profess such strong faith can be upset and even offended by a simple gesture of respect.

I pity the person whose faith can be threatened by a bow.

ramymensa
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

metalhead wrote:
I pity the person whose faith can be threatened by a bow.

I couln't have said it better. Nice to know such open-minded persons.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7
Jump to: