Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Musashi was a duelist. When he fought, he was always fighting to the death. So for him, yes, it was a good thing.

Today, I think this strategy still holds value, but we have to keep it in context. When it comes to self-defense, one shouldn't dally around. Yes, come in hard, and finish it quickly. A former friend of mine was quite fond using a line of questioning when it comes to using force:

"How hard did you hit my client?"

"I hit him as hard as I could."

"Why did you hit him so hard?"

"So I didn't have to hit him again."

It makes sense to me, and I use this thought process myself.
"Why did you rob the bank?"

"Because that is where the money is."

There is a point where logic hits the ground level of reasoning or justification.

Something that holds the truth and nothing more.

Minimal effort with maximum effect.

The samurai sword, could not become any lighter and stronger (thanks to the master sword maker's effort of bending the steel many times) then sharpening till razor sharp.

The samurai swordsman, could not become any stronger, training diligently day and night, then rifining and sharpening his skills till razor sharp.

Till the spirit of the man and sword became forged with each other, matched each others strength and became one of the same, till nothing more could be reduced till all that remains was life and death, or to crush or not!

Miyamoto killed others in duels with a wooden sword just as easily as if was made of steel.

As it is said today, that the clothes makes the man, this is not true of Miyamoto, as he knew the strengths and weaknesses of men and weapons, using this knowledge to his advantage.

The insulting gesture of Miyamoto using a wooden sword in a duel with his opponent carrying steel, is a psychological warfare tactic, also having an element of surprise attached, with the effect of giving the opponent the upper hand, making them feel over confident about winning.

Other tactical advantages Miyamoto used in conjunction with his way of throwing off the opponent's game, was to show up late for the duel, very late, while other times showing up early, for those that needed alot of preparation time, was perfect for making them feel nervous and unprepared.

The waiting game, once more Miyamoto using psychological warfare, creating doubt, and or boredom in his opponents, keeping them wondering and guessing, knowing beforehand his adversaries reactions and using that edge against them.

Miyamoto knew how to crush his opponents physically, he also knew the importance of crushing the enemies spirit with psychological tactic, by dulling their senses or having them feel like they are wasting their energy, by manipulating the element of time; over or under sharpening a blade servers the same thing; to render it less than effective.

Miyamoto Musashi is more than a samurai, he was a samurai slayer, or to keep with the theme, as a modern day ice crusher with samurai becoming nothing more than crushed ice.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To crush or not to crush; that's the question!! Do I have that mindset? I believe that I most assuredly do!!

What worked for Musashi, no matter what it was, worked for him, and was unique for him. I respect that, if nothing else!!

Fat Cobra
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe in the crush philosophy for today, but it is all based on the circumstances.

Here is my translation of crush as applied in the modern world (in order):

1. Deterrence: Do not put yourself in position to become a victim. This is done through posturing, situational awareness, avoiding certain places, etc.

2. Escape: if you are threatened, and you can get away, then get away.

3. Life Protection Defense: If #1 and #2 do not work then you are going to have to defend yourself. If someone is threatening me, and I have a weapon, I will use that weapon (pistol, knife, stick, rock). I am not going to only counter a punch with a punch. That does not make sense. How do I know if he is better at punching than me? How do I know if he is worse at punching than me? How do I know that he does not have a hidden weapon that he will pull out, or he has accomplices waiting in hiding? I don't. All I know is that he has started violence against me and I must now defend myself. I will then use a "crushing" force to stop him. This does not mean that I am trying to kill him or I will continue to, say, repeatedly stab him if I am using a knife and have already stopped his attack. But I will ensure his threat is nullified. If I don't have a weapon on me, which is rare, then I will use my hands and feet (and my style) to attack vital points and joints to stop him.

So, to me this is what "crush" means and I believe it is still applicable.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! Great story. The master instructor of our school is a retired cop. He's got several like that. They always amuse!

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I agree one hundred percent.

Once the fight kicks off this is the attitude you must have. You have to assume the stance that he is weak... this drives your will to win and presses you consistently attack. Which brings us to the next point. Never giving him a chance to regroup.

Once hands go he's decided to hurt you. Given any opportunity to do so he will. Continued attacks keep him defensive, or at least less effective at offense. This is mandatory.

In this day and age if things kick off they are serious. I'm walking away from anything that isn't. Once he's called it, I will win. This mindset has served me well on the job. I've seen officers who didn't agree with the stamen get hurt or let partners down because they wouldn't crush an opponent.

I've always swore that wouldn't be me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: