Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

jaypo
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing's for certain. They Karateka would have to abandon spending time on a LOT of the techniques that the system was designed for- like lethal techniques- and spend more time on those techniques that fall within the rule set of MMA.

GSP and Anderson Silva both have backgrounds in Kyokoshin and BJJ. Machida has an extensive background in Shotokan, Judo, BJJ, and Sumo. So they have all of the bases covered- strong base in stand up techniques and ground fighting. I think Machida's style shows more of his Karate skills than the other 2 because he is excellent at using the angles and movements that Karate teaches. GSP relies more on his athleticism to strike effectively to set up takedowns, where he has excellent wrestling. AS has ridiculous reflexes, and his striking is his bread and butter. However, he does have problems with strong wrestlers, i.e. Chael Sonnen and Chris Weidman.
Respect others
Refrain from violent behavior.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaypo wrote:
One thing's for certain. They Karateka would have to abandon spending time on a LOT of the techniques that the system was designed for- like lethal techniques- and spend more time on those techniques that fall within the rule set of MMA.

GSP and Anderson Silva both have backgrounds in Kyokoshin and BJJ. Machida has an extensive background in Shotokan, Judo, BJJ, and Sumo. So they have all of the bases covered- strong base in stand up techniques and ground fighting. I think Machida's style shows more of his Karate skills than the other 2 because he is excellent at using the angles and movements that Karate teaches. GSP relies more on his athleticism to strike effectively to set up takedowns, where he has excellent wrestling. AS has ridiculous reflexes, and his striking is his bread and butter. However, he does have problems with strong wrestlers, i.e. Chael Sonnen and Chris Weidman.

Solid post!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: