Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2001 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey.
I wanted to know if at 29 years old its a too old age to start muay thai.
I know you can learn martial arts at any age.. But i don't really know if its a good idea start in that particular art at this age, because i watched a TV documental in which they said that Muay Thai Training MUST beging at young age so the body can get use to the punishment.. Isn't the training too tough for a not so young body?

Danny boy
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2001 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kids start training at a young age in Thailand because they going to compete its their lively hood,at your age it's not a good age to start to compete but for the training and fitness not a problem,most fighting gyms have separate classes for fighters so I think you will find it not a problem.
I have finished competing and still train with the boys and I'm a few years older than you.You'll probably find it addictive.

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2001 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Competing in the ring is hard on your body, yes. The actual training of Muay Thai is more of a work out than punishment. Guro Inosanto still trains in Muay Thai and he's 65 years old. Master Chai is over 50. They still can kick pads with the rest of us and kick hard. The "Muay Thai is only for the young" is just a myth made by other martial artists that are ignorant of the training.

Tim Greer
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2001 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. And, look at it this way. Younger people might have more energy and flexibility and stamina over older people, but 29 is not old. You are certainly able to build your body, be healthier and more fit, stronger, have more endurance, stamina, gain speed, flexibility, just as much as you could at a young age. Simply, it just takes a little more time (okay, maybe a lot for some people that haven't been into certain things for a while, if ever) to break down those barriers that might hold you back.

However, you don't need to start younger to be able to deal with and endure pain tolerances, skills and knowledge, nor power, strength and all the other good things that come with it. If anyone tells you otherwise, it's * -- especially since you're only 29. 29 isn't too old for anything on a physical level, that's ridiculous.

Also, if I'm not around for a while, I'm just away training. :-)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2001 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well seems like i was a bit too concern about it. lol
Okay I can handle any style then.. Its just when I watched those Guys training, Ouch, looked very painfull for the body. That training looked more tough than Kickboxing.
But well, as you said, if you do it with precaution it will be allright.. Besides, Im don't think i want to compete with Pro's.. I just want to add some of those moves and improve my stricking habilities.
Thanks for the replies.

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2001 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good deal, I think you'll find Muay Thai very rewarding and effective. Keep training and never give up!!

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2001 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I HAVE to ad Muay Thai to my arsenal. One day... I've already adapted my style to mimic that of a kickboxer, and i kick with my shins, have a high guard, use leg blocks... A lot of that is from freestyle KB. Still Muay Thai has a lot more to offer than just teaching me to kick with my shins.

Angus

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: