Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

jaypo
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Took an Escrima class...... Reply with quote

I am a Shodan in Shorin Ryu and Shotokan Karate. The local YMCA advertised Anayan Escrima classes, so I went to one yesterday. It was being taught by a Police officer, and he and one other student were the only ones besides me.

Let me tell you this. I am pretty coordinated (or so I thought) in my own art. But when he handed me the sticks, that all went out the window! I'm used to swinging a sword with both hands or sai or a bo staff. Using a weapon in each hand felt very funky!! Just the basic striks felt very weird. However, it was very interesting and fun. As the instructor said, it's basically "jungle machete fighting"!

We did sticks, knives, and hand to hand techniques. Then we did some agility drills.

Overall, it was very neat to cross train and to realize how much work I need in certain areas. I think I'll go again as long as my schedule can accomidate it.
Respect others
Refrain from violent behavior.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played with it, a little, but it's not really my thing. Cross-training is definitely a valuable experience, though. Glad you enjoyed it!
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Escrima is something that I always have found fascinating but haven't tried out. It's cool that you branched out into something that you're unfamiliar with! It's always a great experience to do something that you are unfamiliar with and keep on doing it so that you can grow!

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaine wrote:
Escrima is something that I always have found fascinating but haven't tried out. It's cool that you branched out into something that you're unfamiliar with! It's always a great experience to do something that you are unfamiliar with and keep on doing it so that you can grow!
I agree. I've always been fascinated with stick fighting, and hope that some day I can find an instructor around that can teach me some.

Sounds like you had a fun time, and learned a lot! Keep at it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: