Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Jesi Boy
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Goju-Kai

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Top Three Best Kata Gis Reply with quote

Hello Karate Forums,

Here are the best three Kata gis in my opinion:

Shureido New Wave 3

Aesthetically, the Shureido New Wave Three is a good choice, as the gi holds its shape really well, yet is not too stiff.

The material is comfortable due to its smooth finish, does not feel too heavy and has a very pleasing snap.

Structurally, the gi is perfect, as the slits are at just the right height, the pants are nice and wide (providing freedom of movement) and the sleeves are not too narrow and not too wide.

However, it is quite expensive for a ready-made gi (one that isn’t fully tailored), at $266 AUD (size 5), although the price may vary for different suppliers.

Hirota #163

The material is designed to provide the “ultimate snap”, and due to its thickness, will hold its shape extremely well.

I personally prefer this gi’s snap compared to that of the Takumi’s (which I will talk about later), as it feels stronger, while the Takumi’s is loud and fast.

However, this gi is slightly hard to order, as it only comes tailor made, which means you will have to provide all of the measurements. This is a tricky process, but if you have the right help, it can be a smooth and enjoyable experience.

Hirota Takumi

The Takumi, being significantly lighter than the #163, is designed for those wanting more freedom in their movement, and those performing much more dynamic katas.

The snap produced by this gi is more high pitched than the #163, and a little bit louder as well.

The material is really stiff, which can be annoying, but an advantage since it holds its shape really well, meaning you can maintain the look you want.

Unfortunately, the gi is also only fully tailor made, so you will have to provide your measurements as well.

That’s the list!

I plan to write some more lists, for kumite gis, as well as lists with a budget, e.g. Best Kata Gis Under $200. You can go check out my website (which is in my profile), if you want to see this.

If you think that there is a gi that should have been on this list, feel free to comment down below.

Thanks!

-Jesi Boy

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice to see all the gis you compared these to. Sometimes "reasons why this one didn't make it" are more helpful than "reasons why I chose these 3."

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Jesi Boy
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
It would be nice to see all the gis you compared these to. Sometimes "reasons why this one didn't make it" are more helpful than "reasons why I chose these 3."

Thanks for the tip!

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder when the whole “kata gi” vs “kumite gi” thing started. I understand the differences, but something about it just makes me scratch my head. Whenever I call someone to inquire about a gi, the first thing they ask is which type I’m looking for. I simply say “a good gi to train in.” Rant over.

I’m a big Shureido fan. The 2 that I’ve owned (K-10 and K-11) fit right, are durable, and are comfortable. And they stay white for a long time instead of turning that brown/yellow/gray color. Which brings me to another point - I don’t get how people say a gi looks great. To me the traditional white gis all look the same, minus the non-canvas ones and the free ones that are so thin you can see through them.

I understand that people like that snap sound. I used to as well. I’m pretty much over that though.

I’ve worn a bunch of different gis over the years - Century, Ronin, KI, and a handmade Anshin. I tried a Tokaido Ultimate a classmate had. It was the equal to my Shureido K-10 in every way but cut. If someone removed the labels and told me they were the same gi, except a slim cut vs a regular cut, I’d believe them.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a stupid question...

How long have you been wearing the New Wave gi? Do you consistently train in it, or do you only wear it for competition and a select few practices?

I inquired about the New Wave line with Shureido USA. I was told it’s intended as a competition gi and/or a “dress up” gi because it’s not durable like the 100% cotton gis such as the K-10 and K-11. They told me if I wore it as a day in and day out training gi (I don’t compete), I’d get a year or so out of it, compared to the 5+ years customers typically get out of the 100% cotton gis. He said he stresses that because he doesn’t want customers not knowing exactly what they’re getting and being unhappy with their purchase.

Just wanted to hear your first-hand experience with it. I was looking into a New Wave 1 because I want as lightweight and quality gi as possible. My dojo gets very hot (no air conditioning), and I sweat far more than average.

Jesi Boy
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I don't wear the new wave three, but I interviewed a few of my friends who have it.

Two of them wear it for competition only, and they say it's great.

One of them wear it in training, and it holds up pretty good. The only thing I noticed was that it gets really drenched with sweat, and doesn't dry too fast, and that it gets dirt really easy.

Hope this has helped!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: