Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

rabid hamster
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya,

I'm nowhere near going to a tournment, I'm still a white belt, but I'm just wondering where are they usually held? Because I wouldn't think there would be one building specifically made for tournements since that might be a lot of money. Also in tournements is it like only girl and girl spar, and boy and boy spar, and the opposite gender can't sparr each other?

thanks for reading
Cya

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-05-14 17:38 ]

Eric-TKD
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: I.T.F. TKD

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience (which would probably be considered rather limited, as I've only been practicing for a year), Tournaments are held either in the dojang or in some sort of gym, like a high school gym.

As for how sparring in tournaments is organzied, it's probably just based on rank. Beginners vs. beginners, intermediate vs. intermediate, etc. Basically people in the same belt-range spar.

My school is having a tournament this upcoming Saturday and I'm still debating if I should go.

[ This Message was edited by: Eric-TKD on 2002-04-18 18:24 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

rabid hamster
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya, thanks for your reply

It's good to know that it's not one of those, "girl can't compete with boys" thing, because they kind of annoy me.

And I think you should definitely go to the tournment, there's nothing to lose from going to the tournment(I think). If I was better in TKD, heck I would go.

Eric-TKD
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know.you're right Hiya, I should go on Saturday. Heck, even if I don't win any sparring matches I still get a participation medal.

Problem is, I practiced sparring tonight already, and I've obliterated my shins. I have no shin guards, and leg blocks absolutely kill me!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

MonkeyNinja
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comptitions locations vary. Some in a High School Gym, others are held in a hotel, etc.
Girl on girl on boy doesnt necessarily always apply. I've seen several sparring between the both. I think it shouldn't matter with lower ranks.

MonkeyNinja

MonkeyNinja
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Comptitions locations vary. Some in a High School Gym, others are held in a hotel, etc.
Girl on girl on boy doesnt necessarily always apply. I've seen several sparring between the both. I think it shouldn't matter with lower ranks.

MonkeyNinja

MonkeyNinja
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

MonkeyNinja

Eric-TKD
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I went to the inner-school tournament today, and I came back with three silver medals, and a very bruised right shin.

It was my first time at a MA tournament of any kind, and it was a great experience. I got silvers in all the events I participated in: Forms, Beginner's Sparring, and Intermediate Sparring.

It was great! I'll definitely be going to more when the opportunity arrises, and next time I'll be ready with shin guards.

rabid hamster
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol I hope your shin gets better.

Ooh all silver?? Congradulations!!

TKD_McGee
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea usually tournaments are held in the towns high school gym.. at least where im at. But the state tourneys and official WTF tourneys are held in fancy places... its really a lot of fun to get into.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: