Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Blade13
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first tournament is on October 6th. I was looking over the rules and I noticed that it said that it used full contact rules and light contact to the head. We must wear punches, kicks, headgear, and chest guards. We are only allowed to hit above the waist and can't hit limbs. Throws aren't legal. Neither are attacks to the throat, eyes, back, and neck. The main reason most people learn martial arts is defense. If the contact can't be all that we can make it, then it isnt a true test of skill. Tournaments are getting to be nothing but a test of speed. Are there any REAL full contact tournaments left out there? Even the UFC is losing the reality of combat sports. I realize that speed is a very important attribute, but in a fight, speed without power is nothing. Imagine a rabbit against a gorilla. The gorilla is slower, but more powerful. The rabbit is fast, but weak. If they had a battle, the gorilla would surely win. By the way, if anyone wants to compete in this tournament, its in Tifton, GA on Oct. 6th. Call Al Moore at 229-382-9897 for more info. Or just contact me.

BlueDragon
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you man.

I was kicked out of my last tournament for "intentional injuring another competitor" I'll I did was kick him in the stomach through a chest guard and he collapsed.

Iron Arahat
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to fight full contact there are lots of opportunities to do so still...

I think the reason that a lot of tournaments limit the contact is number 1 liability and secondly that people tend to shy away from full contact because they are afraid...

Blade13
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish people weren't so afraid. If they learn martial arts, they expect to use them at one point or another. In a street fight, they aren't gonna stop just because you accidentally tripped or something. If you try to defend yourself against gang members the same way you would fight in a tournament, then you will have an unhappy ending.

Joecooke007
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2001 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my outlook on full contact and my friends think that I nuts because of it. I belive that contact pain like that is good for you. Maybe not at the time that you encounter it but later on when you experience real pain it will be less painful then it would be to most people. If you were in a real street fight contact to areas of the body would not be limited. If all of your training contact had been limited you get your butt kicked by a street punk. It's not worth it. In sparring and comp. contact should never been limited.

kicker
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: kickboxing, muay thai, tennis, lots more.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2001 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well theres never full contact for some catagories in peoples ages but when your older and compete in bid turninments it can be full contact i could go in but i don't know what martial art it is and it`s to far

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: