Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Phantasmatic
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu, Shorei-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Kobudo, Judo, Shin-Kage Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the big difference between Traditional and Non-Traditional karate? I am asking this because my sensei has gone for a trip so I cannot go to the dojo for a while and ask him!

[ This Message was edited by: Phantasmatic on 2002-02-19 10:31 ]

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a hard one. Today people refer to traditional Karate as the non-contest side of it.

But the Okinawan Schools would say they are more traditional than Japanese Schools.

Seeing Karate has evolved so much how can we say we are doing the traditional things?

We are certainly not practising karate in the tradition of say Sagukawa did in the 1700's

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

Cory Reynolds
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of huge differences that I can point out are that sport karate (non traditional) and traditional karate competition is vastly different. Traditional tends to be full contact without pads while sport karate often is light contact with pads. Also, non traditional karate schools sometimes even create their own forms to teach and ditch the old ones completely.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Phantasmatic
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu, Shorei-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Kobudo, Judo, Shin-Kage Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You both very much for the info!

spinninggumby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Anonymous One said, it is hard to draw the line between 'traditional' and 'nontraditional/modern', although maybe you could speculate that perhaps there is a definite line when people participate in tournaments and wear those big Smurf shoes and helmets and those big chest thingies that say 'hit me'. But 500 years down the road, who says that tournament karate won't be seen as 'traditional' karate. I think this applies to every other style as well. What is seen as traditional or old-school changes because obviously new ideas, practices, etc. become old as they uh, get older. It was my understanding that the roundhouse kick (mawashi geri, dolyo chagi, cetan tui, mantela/misteka, depending on your style) did not exist for a long long time in all styles until somebody (I'm not sure who, I will have to look it up) came up with it one day and people start liking it and capitalizing and refining its effectiveness. The 'traditional guys' back then thought that this was 'nontraditional', but now we have a 'traditional' roundhouse kick versus a new one (usually by those damn WTF guys who try to make everything complicated by modifying everything for tournament sparring ) but anyways yea that's all I wanted to say haha

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: