Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Withers M.A.A.
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just curious what your favorite training equipment is. I'm opening a school and am buying the things I need. So far I have 10 kicking paddles, 3 pairs of focus mits, 2 shields, body opponent bag, 10 rubber knives, clubs, all weapons, I'm ordering the wavemaster XXL on Friday. Besides mirrors and stuff what else should I buy?

Pete

tessone
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebreakable boards!

Sadly, ours are about broken out--there's no challenge in them any more. But it's nice so students don't have to wait for a testing or breaking seminar to get some practice in...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about rubber guns for gun defense/take-aways. A crash pad for throws. In addition to the clubs, how about some padded ones to start with for the beginners to defend against, then progress to the wooden ones.

chh
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You already have the space lined up I take it? We just moved to a new dojo, it was fun being semi-involved in planning/building the rooms and training floor and all that stuff. Good luck with your new school!

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing beats a big heavy bag.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it all depends on your student base as to how much equipment you will need. Start off with about a half a dozen targets, shields, paddles and blockers. I suggest more than one wavemaster ... and also a good hanging heavy weight bag. We use the large target shields to jump over doing running jump side kicks to the hanging heavy bag. We stack them one on top of the other. If you have at least 6 that makes for a good height as a goal.
Rebreakable boards are good if you plan on doing alot of that in class otherwise a good stock of pine boards with an investment in a power board holder.
Don't forget the aesthetics too! Motivational posters, a good sized bulletin board, plastic filing compartments to place your class schedules in and pricing info by the entrance.

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-05-23 08:18 ]

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just curious. What are you going to teach in your dojo.

Withers M.A.A.
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be teaching a combination of Kenpo Karate, Tae Kwon Do, and sport Karate. We basically do the Kenpo system with the Tae Kwon Do kicking and aerial kicking and gymnastics from sport karate. We also do a lot of realistic self defense techs., sparring, and weapons.

Iron Arahat
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget the rubber knives...
Forget the rubber guns...
Invest in good mats, and mirrors.

Better to buy hanging bags over wavemasters, they break too easy, and start leaking. If you fill them with sand the stems do snap. For $$$ investment a bag will cost at times 1/2 the price and last 10 times longer.

Grow with the rate of the populus of the school. Too much equipment is money that can be better spent on other things like advertising when you first open.

http://www.liveyyc.com

Calgary Photographer: http://www.jdirom.com

tessone
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he's doing all kinds of self-defense techniques, he's going to need the rubber knives and guns.

Rubber knives also work well for falls. One of the black belts will often hold one under us when doing front falls. Can't hurt you, but it's still a good psychological motivator.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: