Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

vergil96
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Karate Shotokan, Judo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:12 am    Post subject: Training for a beginner class Reply with quote

Maybe not exactly as serious as leading a school, but... my sensei said that I could lead a training for a less advanced class And the senpai were very encouraging about it too. The training is meant to be for 9-7 kyu, I think. Is it okay to just exercise techniques from heian shodan? I mean, it's not as simple as it seems, in my opinion, people make a lot of mistakes in them. Also, how to deal with stage fright? I'm nervous to walk up to someone and correct them. Usually the trainings are: 20 minutes warmup, and then kihon and then kumite based on the kihon. So is it fine to exercise kihon ippon kumite or something similar? (oi-zuki, gyaku-zuki, kizami-zuki, mae-geri, gedan-barai, age-uke, uchi-uke, soto-uke) I'm sorry if I mixed up some terminology, in fact, I would be grateful if you could reccommend some books or other materials in which there are names for all the techniques.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your CI, Chief Instructor, more than likely, will direct you as to what you will be teaching said assigned classes, or at least a guideline. Why?? The CI is ultimately responsible for the overall training of the entire student body. The CI doesn't want their Sempai's/instructors to teach things that aren't appropriate for their student body, i.e., teaching 5th Kyu techniques to the 9th Kyu student body.

Stage fright is normal!! Just step on the floor and own it!! As one who's leading any class, you must give both corrections and praises with the same vigor and sincerity.

Follow the directions of your CI to the letter and you'll be fine. Rarely does the CI hand over the reigns of any class, especially if said Sempai/instructor is new to leading/teaching a class. Trust me, your CI, and the Sempai's, will be keeping a watchful eye in new instructors, even if that instructor is just leading the warm-ups.

Now, if you're not officially an instructor/Sempai, this occurs a lot with warm-ups, well that's a feather in your car because that means the CI trusts you and has faith in your abilities. If you're not a Sempai/instructor, yet, you're leading a class or a section of a class, then by all rights you ARE the instructor-on-duty.

In my dojo, an instructor is one who's not officially designated as a Sempai. Yet, often times, the label instructor goes to anyone leading a class/segment that's NOT the CI.

Be large and in charge when leading a class/segment, be confident, teach what you've been instructed to teach, relax, be yourself, and don't be cruel. DO NOT treat all students the same way because they're far from being the same. TEACH!! GUIDE!! CORRECT!! PRAISE!! LISTEN!! Nothing else, and don't contradict what the CI is teaching.

Point blank...Not all can teach; it takes a special person to teach and make a difference in the world one student at a time.

Good luck, hang in there!!

ashworth
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, IJR Karate, Iaido, Kobudo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you instructor has asked you to do this then it is because they believe you can do it, have faith in your instructor's judgement and trust that means you are capable of running the class

is it a children's class? adult's class or mixed? if it's children, confidence is key, or at least act confident, children can smell fear!! and their focus wont last as long as adults so try not to stick on one drill for too long.

As Sensei8 mentioned, your Instructor will most likely have something in mind that he wants you to do, if you do have complete freedom then just stick to the low grade syllabus stuff, but if it is your first time it would be very unlikely that you will have complete freedom.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck vergil96! If you're instructor has asked you to do it then they must be confident in your abilities.

Echoing what Ashworth said, what are the ages in class? As with younger children you'll want to change exercise every 15 to 20 mins or so, with an adult class they'll appreciate more depth and detail and can spend longer on a topic.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ages do measure the about of time when teaching anything. Studies have shown that whatever the age of the child, so is their attention span. Once the threshold has passed, then the child has already lost the interest of the subject at matter. So, keep segments short to keep both their interest as well as their attention to subject at matter. Nothing worse than a student who no longer cares due to sheer boredom.

Nothing worse that static teaching.

Adults do get bored as well, but not as soon as the child. Any student will enjoy any depth of any said subject until boredom sinks in. That IS a balancing act that has a fine line, in which trial and error helps to discover what's the overall time to spend on any one subject for both the child and adult students.

Don't forget, this is even more true for the students who have ADHD. ADHD affects both the child as well as the adults. As the CI/Sempai/Instructor, it's imperative to know, understand, and recognize those symptoms; that will benefit all concerned, although, its vitally much more important for the CI/Sempai/Instructors. I've had ADHD my entire life, so if you bore me to tears, then I can no longer hear or care what you're trying to tell/teach me. People around me know when I start repeating the word "Huh?" or "What?" a lot from me that they've lost me to boredom.

Rule of thumb...just don't drag out any segment; know when enough is enough. If you like to talk and talk and talk, stay off the floor.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good advice here so far. Teaching is just like any other thing; you've got to do it to learn it. You probably won't be very smooth, and you will be a little nervous. This is ok; it means you care, which is a step in the right direction!

I would tell to stick with what you know. If that is the form you mentioned and it's corresponding applications, then go for it. Try to be concise in what you address, and then let them get reps in. One important thing to keep in mind is that you can only throw so much at a student at a time, so don't necessarily try to correct every little thing you see done wrong. Have a goal for yourself, such as: "I'm going to ensure that each student has the proper stance of the first x moves of the form," or, " each student understands this concept in application." Things like this. You'll find yourself much less stressed, and your teaching focused. Build on this.

gspell68
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan (JKA), Seibukan.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaching karate is awesome.
It’s where you really start learning karate.
You start holding yourself to a higher standard because all eyes are on you.
You have to justify every move you make and be sure you have a reasonable answer for every question.

Oh, and how did it go?

scohen0300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I never got to lead an entire class - once I got my brown belt, my Sensei started having me take some lower belts to the back to help them. Sometimes a group of up to 6, sometimes just a single student.

As a green belt, I knew I felt this fire in my training. Things were more intense and I started working much harder. But once my teacher had me helping others as a brown belt, my own training became INTENSE.

I often tell people that my brown belt days were the most intense days of my karate journey. When I corrected someone else’s mistake, I was comparing it to my own execution of the technique. And I took notes. I learned. I tried to eliminate as many errors as I could. This resulted in my knowing the ins and outs of what I was teaching and practicing - that’s how I got better!

When my own training was free from error (it was by no means perfect), I had the freedom to go all out and give my all. Teaching is such a gift, I became a MUCH better martial artist, all around, when I started teaching.

Congratulations!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scohen0300 wrote:
Teaching is such a gift, I became a MUCH better martial artist, all around, when I started teaching.

Amen to this! I agree, 10000000000000%!

I would suggest to anyone that if they find they have a knack for teaching, or have the desire to give it a try and learn how to do it right, then do so. It is such a boon to your training. It also ups the level of accountability to yourself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: