Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ChpsahoySE
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu TKD Shotokan Jujitsu Muay Thai

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject: Training Karate via home study/distance learning Reply with quote

Due to this new “Norm” and everything related to education is now virtual, I am searching for ways to train Karate (preferably) at home. Most of the dojos around my area are not holding classes. Id humbly ask to be spared of the criticism of “home” training if possible as this is the reality for the time being...

Grading and earning a diploma is still being done in the traditional school system so I am interested in pursuing the same with the martial arts. Previously, I looked into home study programs of BJJ (yes BJJ!)and found a few that you can actually train at home and earn authentic rank, but jiu jitsu also requires a partner which makes it less convenient. So yes.. I am interested in continuing in training Karate of any legit style and earn authentic rank based in my skill level and progress. Karate is an art you can train alone as its something you need to train and sharpen after executing hundreds of thousands reps with a core of basic techniques. Yes home training means your not physically there along side an instructor but thats where webcam and video submission with feedback come in (similar to how the gracie University does)

Does anyone know if there are any reputable home study programs for japanese or Okinawan Karate?

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, first of all, welcome to KarateForums! Glad to have you here!

I don't know if there are many Karate programs out there that offer the kind of training that you seek. You might check out some YouTube channels from instructors (there are a ton of them out there), and see if anything is offered.

I do think that there are probably more opportunities out there for students that were already active members at a dojo, and have something worked out with their instructors to continue their training during these circumstances. However, I think it will be much more difficult to find these opportunities as a fresh student, starting out, with no training. As an instructor, I'd find it very challenging to try to teach a raw, beginning student how to do basic techniques and forms over Facetime or a webcam session. Not impossible, but very difficult. I see you have styles listed in your profile; does any of your instructors offer anything in regards to training via Zoom classes or the like?

Quote:
Id humbly ask to be spared of the criticism of “home” training if possible as this is the reality for the time being...

I understand this sentiment, but you also have to understand how many instructors will feel about this, as well. As an instructor myself, I would not feel comfortable offering to test an individual for rank that I have never seen in person before, and never had in my class before. With that said, it's important to understand how difficult it may be to find someone who is willing to do this.

To go along with that, if you can find someone willing to do this for you, the first thing I would question is the quality of instruction, and what the instructor's motives are. They may be truly genuine, and they may do a very good job. Or, they may be looking for a way to make money, and not be concerned with the quality of student they produce, and only with collecting testing fees. So, just be wary about what you find.

Quote:
Most of the dojos around my area are not holding classes.

You say most. Are there a few dojos in your area that are actually hosting some classes? If this is the case, then I would highly recommend that you seek them out, and look to begin your training that way. I think you would be much happier with your progress and results if you go this route. If crowds concern you, you could ask if private classes are offered, and you could probably wear a mask to the classes if that makes you feel safer. I imagine the instructors at these dojos are holding classes to a more limited number, as well, in accordance with most ordinances that are in place at this time. As an instructor, this would be my first recommendation.

Now, back to your original request. If you are looking to start some training on your own, and cannot find anyone that offers an online service, there are, again, lots and lots of channels out there on YouTube that you can find to use as resources.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Well, first of all, welcome to KarateForums! Glad to have you here!

I don't know if there are many Karate programs out there that offer the kind of training that you seek. You might check out some YouTube channels from instructors (there are a ton of them out there), and see if anything is offered.

I do think that there are probably more opportunities out there for students that were already active members at a dojo, and have something worked out with their instructors to continue their training during these circumstances. However, I think it will be much more difficult to find these opportunities as a fresh student, starting out, with no training. As an instructor, I'd find it very challenging to try to teach a raw, beginning student how to do basic techniques and forms over Facetime or a webcam session. Not impossible, but very difficult. I see you have styles listed in your profile; does any of your instructors offer anything in regards to training via Zoom classes or the like?

Quote:
Id humbly ask to be spared of the criticism of “home” training if possible as this is the reality for the time being...

I understand this sentiment, but you also have to understand how many instructors will feel about this, as well. As an instructor myself, I would not feel comfortable offering to test an individual for rank that I have never seen in person before, and never had in my class before. With that said, it's important to understand how difficult it may be to find someone who is willing to do this.

To go along with that, if you can find someone willing to do this for you, the first thing I would question is the quality of instruction, and what the instructor's motives are. They may be truly genuine, and they may do a very good job. Or, they may be looking for a way to make money, and not be concerned with the quality of student they produce, and only with collecting testing fees. So, just be wary about what you find.

Quote:
Most of the dojos around my area are not holding classes.

You say most. Are there a few dojos in your area that are actually hosting some classes? If this is the case, then I would highly recommend that you seek them out, and look to begin your training that way. I think you would be much happier with your progress and results if you go this route. If crowds concern you, you could ask if private classes are offered, and you could probably wear a mask to the classes if that makes you feel safer. I imagine the instructors at these dojos are holding classes to a more limited number, as well, in accordance with most ordinances that are in place at this time. As an instructor, this would be my first recommendation.

Now, back to your original request. If you are looking to start some training on your own, and cannot find anyone that offers an online service, there are, again, lots and lots of channels out there on YouTube that you can find to use as resources.

Solid post!!

Bulldawg
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Uechi-ryu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out George Mattson's virtual academy. He admits its not the same as in person training. But if you can't get in person, its better than sitting on the couch.

Mr. Mattson was the first American to earn his black belt in Uechi-Ryu in Okinawa and is responsible for bringing this style to the states.

SLK59
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree 100% with bushido_man96. Whether you train in person or online, nothing beats live feedback from an experienced instructor. If you absolutely cannot train in person, my advice would be to find a dojo in your area that you like and that offers Covid online classes, join it, and follow the guidance of your instructor. Far from ideal, but better than nothing.

aurik
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Shuri-Ryu, Uechi-Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

COVID has really kicked us in the nuts in terms of "the new normal", but it's also provided us with a number of unique opportunities that we might not usually have. For example, my CI is now running a variety of both in-person and online classes, and students can choose which model they are most comfortable with. We also occasionally have the opportunity to train virtually with his instructor (Master James Thompson) and other high-ranking instructors.

As someone who has trained with multiple schools concurrently (in the same style, primarily due to work travel), you'll need to be aware that different instructors have different expectations of certain techniques, and will do things in different ways. The farther apart the styles, organizations, and lineages are, the more differences you'll find in the techniques. For example, when I was visiting California for work, I trained with a group of fellow Uechi-Ryu stylists who were part of a different organization. Their core kata and drills were the same, but a lot of their accessory exercises were different, and they taught certain techniques differently. This can be advantageous to see techniques taught in different ways, but you'll also need to keep in mind how your current instructor wants to see things done.

Now back to your point: COVID won't last forever, and I assume you're going to want to go back to in-person training eventually. With that being said, I'd recommend finding a school near you that you think is a good match for you (again, hard to do in this day and age), and then look for an online resource that teaches a style as close to what you can find locally as you can. That way you won't have to relearn your techniques nearly as much.

I hope this helps!
Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan
ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

scohen0300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ecbbacademy.com/shop.html

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yxnQGFMVUKU

The first link takes you to the official videos that my Sensei, Jerry Figgiani (8th Dan), has released on his dojo website. Just below that link is a trailer for what the videos have to offer. They focus on the kata bunkai of Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu, founded by O’Sensei Shoshin Nagamine.

At the bottom of this response is a link (I apologize for its massive length!) to an excellent DVD that shows fukyugata 1-2, Pinan 1-5, and Naihanchi 1-3. These are the main kata of Matsubayashi Ryu, and you’ll get to see them performed at normal speed and slowed down. However, you can easily find the same (or similar) videos on YouTube

I can’t recommend anything that Jerry Figgiani Sensei has to offer enough! He’s an amazing person, both extremely talented and loving of his students. He changed my life and countless others as well. Because I love him so much, I’ll share a video about how he really did change someone’s life for anyone who might be interested. It made it on the news in New York.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sp_ZBzmVQj0&t=111s

https://www.budovideos.com/products/matsubayashi-shorin-ryu-karate-dvd-vol-2?variant=905493731&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&utm_campaign=gs-2018-10-18&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=CjwKCAiAi_D_BRApEiwASslbJ5yyGW88WAT2s5se-wOobToQPnJVtK5iw1Kf2uNq7XC7qdXWVkdd-BoCbxsQAvD_BwE

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a great resource, scohen0300! I bought the book!

scohen0300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bushido_man96,

That’s awesome! I’d love to hear your thoughts when you’re finished with it! Or even better, post a review about it. LOL. Although my Sensei doesn’t talk about it, I’m sure COVID has affected his business and ALL of his students would appreciate all the support he can get. Thank you!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scohen0300 wrote:
Bushido_man96,

That’s awesome! I’d love to hear your thoughts when you’re finished with it! Or even better, post a review about it. LOL. Although my Sensei doesn’t talk about it, I’m sure COVID has affected his business and ALL of his students would appreciate all the support he can get. Thank you!
scohen, I'd be happy to offer my thoughts once I get through it. Even though I'm not a Karateka, I'm always looking to read and learn new perspectives. I confess to knowing exactly jack and squat about Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu, but I look forward to reading, learning, and seeing how I can apply it to my training.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: