Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A buddy of mine asked me to invest in a training suit such as the RedMan with him. I know ther are others out there on the market and was wondering if any or you had an opportunity to use any of the training suits available out there and what are/were your opinions about the different ones.

Thanks!

Iron Arahat
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience I have used the three following suits:

The Redman - The suit is way to heavy, restricting, and uncomfortable. You feel like a giant marshmallow. You can take a beating though. Although you hit the ground and there's no real good way to get up by yourself. You'd be better getting one of those carnival sumo suits. The Redman batons are really good tho. The helmets are pretty bad, the wire cage still hurts to kick.

The FIST suit - Not bad, alittle bulky, but you can move. You can also take a hit.

The High Gear from Tony Blauer is good, lightweight, and you are still fairly mobile. The helmet on occasion I felt got in my way, but still not bad. You can feel the blows through this suit. So if you are looking to just beat the tar out of a walking target get the redman. You want someone who can take some abuse, but also dish it out, get this suit.

Personally your better off with a set of headgear with a facebar, and maybe a chest protector. You'll save $600 or more compared to the suits. Just depends what you want.

These suits are primarily used by law enforcement units for training. They are designed so you can take someone without hurting them in an area other than the gym. While they are a good tool for law enforcement, they are not the best for martial arts training, unless your going outside, or doing anti-rape training.

http://www.liveyyc.com

Calgary Photographer: http://www.jdirom.com

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Iron,

Thanks for the information on all the training suits that are on the market. Primarily at this point the suit will be used in a Womens Self Defense course.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: