Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:
Maybe you have never met outcasts on the floor and never will, due to that they have gone to the McDojos.

Tournaments or competitive sports isn't what compels them, it's a sense of feeling good about improving their insecurities, just by practicing martial arts, virtual or not fulfills their needs, with the CI using/leading them for financial gains; having them recruiting more of the same, with testimonials and discount incentives, for themselves and the new students.

To the Bold.

Feeling maybe. Reality??????

Accept mediocrity and that is what you will get. Telling kids lies does not bolster their self confidence especially when they have to use the fuey they have learned in a real life fight. Wanna talk about crushing confidence? That will do it!

Fear only exists until you have done it and realize that the fear was unwarranted.

Fear exists in those that have not been pushed to overcome it. This is not their faults but rather their parents/instructors/teachers and adult figures in their lives. Confidence is fostered through overcoming the obstacles found in life. This is also how you overcome fear.

How then does a student/kid/outcast overcome fear if the obstacles are not present? Kids are not stupid, they may be lazy but not stupid, and they realize when something is given and not earned. Most know that the school they study in (McDojo) are not teaching them anything effective. So is this security, confidence or do they just know that they can get maximum rewards with minimum effort? This is the definition of Lazy not outcast.
Character building could be a lost art.

Earning things the hard way, or when a little patience is involved, many cannot be bothered to try so turn to alternatives that are easy.

Many complain about giving out black belts too easily; which is debatable; as all grades in martial arts are not all created equal.

Where is the balance, as martial arts can boost one person's confidence while to another it is an ego boost instead.

Some people are raised lazy and others are not, both can earn a black belt, yet only one really knows how to fight.

This also brings up another issue, of having a false sense of security.

Having very low self esteem and attending a traditional karate club, is going to be more demoralizing for them, whereas a McDojo environment as false as it is, might set the bar low enough for them to leap over with confidence.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any good teacher would recognize if someone had self-esteem issues, and would attempt to address it. A traditional martial with a GOOD instructor would be a GREAT place for someone with lower self esteem.

Being nervous when performing in front of people (testings, for example) or sparring is completely human. I'd be worried if students, especially new ones, were not nervous. Any instructor who's worth their salt will know how to respond, and help these students through.

After all, how many martial arts schools advertise "build confidence" anyway?

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
Any good teacher would recognize if someone had self-esteem issues, and would attempt to address it. A traditional martial with a GOOD instructor would be a GREAT place for someone with lower self esteem.

Being nervous when performing in front of people (testings, for example) or sparring is completely human. I'd be worried if students, especially new ones, were not nervous. Any instructor who's worth their salt will know how to respond, and help these students through.

How would you build confidence in a student?

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
singularity6 wrote:

How would you build confidence in a student?

While I've not taught any martial arts classes, I've been successfully teaching math at colleges for over 10 years. Sometimes it's through examples (see, I make mistakes, too!) Sitting down with students and having 1-1 discussions also helps, along with a number of other things. My approach usually depends on the student, and me meeting them where they're at.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Again, I don't know why students are nervous/scared. They're there to learn, and if so, then get on the floor, and train, to the best of ones ability. The only opinion that matters is the CI's!!

Its just natural to be worried about the unfamiliar. A touch of fear is normal, especially when venturing out of your comfort zone.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teach a student how to fight should by default build a student's confidence and self esteem.

If it doesn't, then perhaps the student needs more insightful fighting skills, that are more suitable for that individual, to give a better fighting chance, than they would otherwise have.

This is where words of wisdom and encouragement plays and important part in a student's self esteem, that needs to be included in every martial artist's development.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Words of wisdom and encouragement are all well and good, but at some point the student needs to see the successful application take place. That is when confidence will be built.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: