Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: TREPIDATION Reply with quote

Trepidation (a nervousness or fearful feeling) in martial arts, that is a common psychological barrier, for many students to overcome.

Here is an explanation by Rick Hotton, to start this topic with.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ9x-FhXAh4

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is there for a student to be nervous and/or afraid of??

The comings and the goings of the student is directed by the student. The CI is only a vessel, and nothing else.

First day jitters are normal, yet not all experience the jitters.

Future
Events
Appering
Real

Get on the floor, and train!!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
What is there for a student to be nervous and/or afraid of??

The comings and the goings of the student is directed by the student. The CI is only a vessel, and nothing else.

First day jitters are normal, yet not all experience the jitters.

Future
Events
Appering
Real

Get on the floor, and train!!

Trepidation was an issue for some students while attending a JKD school.

Reason for this was the school was reality based that never practiced one step sparring, there was however focus pad kicking and punching.

When sparring, the CI wanted students to clash 50/50 and meet half way; which was something my previous training and personal preferences are contrary to do; as I like to use flanking tactics.

As flanking tactics work well against head on attacks, there was alot of trepidation in the class; they did however over come this in a very short amount of time.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, I don't know why students are nervous/scared. They're there to learn, and if so, then get on the floor, and train, to the best of ones ability. The only opinion that matters is the CI's!!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Again, I don't know why students are nervous/scared. They're there to learn, and if so, then get on the floor, and train, to the best of ones ability. The only opinion that matters is the CI's!!

While helping out in self defence classes for the public, it seems to attract one extreme to the other, very timid women and the fearless females; including everything in-between.

The timid, perhaps are gentle by nature and kind hearted, being violent isn't really something that they can relate to very easily.

Whereas the fearless females are more than happy to be physically active and aggresive against their opponent.

I had not seen improvements in the timid overcoming their fears, in the same day, perhaps it is a work in progress project and not a quick fix for many people-who don't believe in themselves enough.

As martial artists with a lifetime of training in the area of combat, relating to trepidation could be just as difficult as it is for the others, trying to relate to being fearless in a one day, self defense class.

Another perspective:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3uoCn_pJ6C8

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a CI, I've not the time or the inclination to be political correct with those of my Student Body in any concern whatsoever. At the same time, I'm understanding to how a student can become nervous and/or scared about a many of things when it comes to the MA. However, I'm not moved to be politically correct because I've a job to do, and that job is teaching.

You want to be pampered, even the slightest, because you're nervous and/or scared, suck it up and concentrate on the training betterment. Once a student does concentrate accordingly, that student won't have time to be nervous and/or scared.

The student came to me, and not vice versa. So why harbor any trepidation about anything MA related, whatsoever?? Perception is reality to THAT person, which I do understand, but don't sympathize a students plight.

At first, I'll do all that I can to ease any fears and/or nervousness to help the student ease, and acclimate to the new surroundings, as well as to the overwhelming responsibilities and accountability's that are theirs, but my patience is very limited.

If a student is nervous and/or scared, well, that student needs to get over themselves, quickly, and do what they came to me to do...LEARN and TRAIN. After that, nothing else will matter because efforts aimed towards improving one's MA betterment, is far better spent, than efforts being wasted over perceptional fears.

I'm not making light of any students trepidation, however, my job isn't to coddle, but my job is to teach Shindokan...the MA. Visit professionals in those fields that care about a students trepidation's, because, to be honest, I could care less about a students trepidation...feel it...than forget it...than train, and that includes training to erase any trepidation away.

That carried trepidation affects the training. That carried trepidation doesn't allow Mizu No Kokoro and Tsuki No Kokoro to flow outwardly, as it's designed to.

Use any trepidation to benefit your effectiveness as a MA...as an individual!!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then the alternative for outcasts is the pretend martial arts centres considered as McDojos.

A placebo boost type of martial art, that is catering to virtual fighting methodologies by boosting students confidence.

Martial artists that will never be able to fight realistically but are catered for anyhow.

I don't look down on those martial artists, that for some reason are not walking human weapon personalities, perhaps all they really need is a person to put them on track; as the alternative for them is just leading them further astray, with false information and a false sense of confidence, McDojo style.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outcasts?!

I've never meet one ever, both on and off the floor. How so?

There are two types of MAists:

One that is!

One that isn't!

There's no in between!!

I determine this through my own acquired perceptions through my knowledge and experience, because my definition isn't based on the support and/or approval of others.

Oftentimes, trepidation is the enemy of effectiveness!!

Imho.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you have never met outcasts on the floor and never will, due to that they have gone to the McDojos.

Tournaments or competitive sports isn't what compels them, it's a sense of feeling good about improving their insecurities, just by practicing martial arts, virtual or not fulfills their needs, with the CI using/leading them for financial gains; having them recruiting more of the same, with testimonials and discount incentives, for themselves and the new students.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Maybe you have never met outcasts on the floor and never will, due to that they have gone to the McDojos.

Tournaments or competitive sports isn't what compels them, it's a sense of feeling good about improving their insecurities, just by practicing martial arts, virtual or not fulfills their needs, with the CI using/leading them for financial gains; having them recruiting more of the same, with testimonials and discount incentives, for themselves and the new students.

To the Bold.

Feeling maybe. Reality??????

Accept mediocrity and that is what you will get. Telling kids lies does not bolster their self confidence especially when they have to use the fuey they have learned in a real life fight. Wanna talk about crushing confidence? That will do it!

Fear only exists until you have done it and realize that the fear was unwarranted.

Fear exists in those that have not been pushed to overcome it. This is not their faults but rather their parents/instructors/teachers and adult figures in their lives. Confidence is fostered through overcoming the obstacles found in life. This is also how you overcome fear.

How then does a student/kid/outcast overcome fear if the obstacles are not present? Kids are not stupid, they may be lazy but not stupid, and they realize when something is given and not earned. Most know that the school they study in (McDojo) are not teaching them anything effective. So is this security, confidence or do they just know that they can get maximum rewards with minimum effort? This is the definition of Lazy not outcast.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: