Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

JazzKicker
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Hapkido, JKD, TSD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject: Trump gets 9th dan from Kukkiwon Reply with quote

A reminder not to take either rank or politics too seriously!

https://uproxx.com/viral/donald-trump-black-belt-taekwondo/

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honorary Dan ranks do have their purpose within any given Governing Body, and the awarding of such are the given rights of the Governing Body. They've there reason(s), no matter what the masses might or might not agree of the honorary appointment.

Is this act a slap in the face of the MA?? That's an individuals opinion surrounding said honorary certificate. Personally, I don't care one way or another because once again, imho, the Governing Body has that right to award whatever honorary rank they want to, no matter the varied opinions around the MA world.

In the SKKA, we've never given any honorary ranks, and that's mainly because we simply don't believe in the value of it. You want a rank? Then earn it!! Now, we don't pass any judgement on any Governing Bodies that do believe and do award honorary ranks because that's their business.

Look over this link...

https://itftkd.sport/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/ITF-Policy-Honorary-black-belt-20200523.pdf#:~:text=The%20purpose%20of%20awarding%20an%20honorary%20black%20belt,at%20local%2C%20regional%2C%20national%20or%20international%20level%2C%20or

Mr. Trump, according to the ITF Policy over Honorary Black Belt doesn't meet several qualifying criteria whatsoever to receive said Honorary Black Belt. Again, it's the Governing Bodies authority to issue out whatever they want to.

ashworth
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, IJR Karate, Iaido, Kobudo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a little surprised when I saw this news. Seemed like a possible marketing stunt? After Trump said:

Quote:
It is my honor to receive Honorary Dan Certificate and I think Taekwondo is magnificent martial art for self-defense

They are bound to generate some kind of interest in the art. Some of it being positive interest but could there be quite a bit of negative interest? People that would have been looking to start TKD but don't after seeing this?

Overall do you think this will generate more positive interest after being endorsed by Trump?

Regarding Honorary Dan Grades, we have never used them and do really see the need to use them either, never came across a situation where we would introduce this... As mentioned before, it's up to the individual governing body, but I don't believe they should make them a Dan grade, fair enough have a separate 'Honorary black belt' status but what is the need of giving them a specific Dan grade? I feel that lessens the value for others of that grade...

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

Himokiri Karate
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

Styles: Boxing, Korean Karate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a...Alright I did yoga today, I can control my temper!

Look, I have nothing against Trump. I consider myself apolitical. My problem is, if you just hand out belts, it undermines those who worked hard, sweat hard, their continuous effort to get something that requires exertion of effort.

Mind you, I wouldn't mind if there is a guy who gets a black belt in judo because he wrestled. But we are talking about a person who never threw a kick in his entire life.

With my Taekwondo/Tang Soo Do instructor, we have replaced forms with non-stop plyometrics to develop higher jump and more explosive steps and footwork. The level of effort it requires has me dig deep down like I have to visualize my life is in danger. I feel proud of my performance. I am not even in the ranking system because I am half TKD/TSD.

But now I believe I too should also get a belt. Not because it makes me better but because if I were to teach, its good to say I got a belt wrapped around my waist. Plus I would be far more legitimate. I am so at loss for words that the only thing I can say is....ASSSAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is nothing new out of TKD. I've seen honorary black belts given to athletes and actors, too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: