Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Jian
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shito-ryu itosu kai

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Trying out for Varsity TKD team with Karate Reply with quote

In the fall I will be trying for the varsity TKD team. Problem is, I do karate not TKD. I figure that my first large disadvantage is in the distance fighting game. Also I assume that I have a disadvantage speed-wise. At least one good thing is that they have changed the rules so that I can now score with punches and not just kicks so that will help me because I noticed a lot of them dangle their arms. I am only short, 5 foot 5 but I am natually quick and I am told I hit hard for my size. I would like any advice on how to adapt my karate to compete equally on the long distance fight. Thanks.

KLax87
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Soo Bahk Do

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

out of curiosity, are you in high school or college? I wish my HS had a varsity martial arts team. If you are friends with any of the TKD team members or know any decent TKD people, I would suggest sparring with them. BEFORE you try out. every style has strengths and weaknesses. you've got to pick up on these yourself. I'm not familiar with your style of karate so I cant offer any specific advice..but see if the TKD people are very linear fighters. If they are, I highly suggest when they come at u to side step(going to the side of your leading leg of course) and stepping into a sidekick, jump sidekick, or if you are really that quick even a punch. try it out and good luck

isshinryu5toforever
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshin-Ryu Karate, Jidokwon Taekwondo, Kyokushinkan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one advantage you may have is the fact that many TKD players who have done olympic style TKD don't use their hands very effectively. In Karate, we do. If you can beat them to the punch that's great. This is coming from someone who transitioned from full-contact karate into olympic style TKD just this year. I had a little bit of a time adjusting to the rules, and I saw many an opportunity to punch someone in the face, but had to restrain myself. So, like they mentioned above, spar with someone who does olympic TKD. You should be able to adjust fairly quickly if you're a mid range martial artist. It's all about rules. If you're a good fighter already, don't worry too much.

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."
- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

isshinryu5toforever
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshin-Ryu Karate, Jidokwon Taekwondo, Kyokushinkan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, and as for fighting advice here's a bit. True they are distance fighters, but they're all about hit and miss. They don't block very much, but they try to make their opponent miss. It's a much faster game this way. However, if you read their round kick and step right in to stop it and hit them in the chest with a reverse punch followed by a round kick it can be a very effective counter, because of the non-contact to the head with hands. The staple of today's TKD is the round kick. If you have trouble with speed at first, play the game of attrition. When they come in don't worry about scoring points. Front kick them right in the gut. Side kick right toward the hip when they round kick. If they try to "surf-in" (shuffle in their their round kick, round kick right to the side of the leg in the air. Stuff their kick. If you can make it a scoreless affair in the first round and just put them in a lot of pain, you can win the second round with a point of two. Just think of things you would hate to have done to you that are perfectly legal, and do it to them. Don't worry about scoring the first round. Worry about that in the second. Rely on strength and conditioning if you can't win the speed game. Also, find someone who you can practice the clinch with. This is a very important part of the TKD game at the level you're talking about, so try to find an Olympic TKD person to help you with this. Best of luck to you.

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."
- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Jian
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shito-ryu itosu kai

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently at university and I do have a friend that I am training with at the moment but not as much as I would like too. We are both in the army so our schedules are quite full. Right now I am attending a boxing class that has some TKD mixed in. It's being taught by a Trevor Brown I believe. I am not sure where he is a TKD master or not. As I said before I am naturally fast but I have a hard time getting loose as well. I am fast enough to compete but if I could relax I'd be twice as fast. That's the way the army makes us, highstrung. Anyways thanks for all the advice.

KLax87
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Soo Bahk Do

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

relaxation huh?possibly try some deep breathing exercises to focus your mind before you begin?

Soni33
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Trying out for Varsity TKD team with Karate Reply with quote

Jian wrote:
In the fall I will be trying for the varsity TKD team. Problem is, I do karate not TKD. I figure that my first large disadvantage is in the distance fighting game. Also I assume that I have a disadvantage speed-wise. At least one good thing is that they have changed the rules so that I can now score with punches and not just kicks so that will help me because I noticed a lot of them dangle their arms. I am only short, 5 foot 5 but I am natually quick and I am told I hit hard for my size. I would like any advice on how to adapt my karate to compete equally on the long distance fight. Thanks.

Don't just think because you do Karate and not Taekwondo you'll be at a disadvantage.

I started at a WTF Taekwondo club (following closure of my Karate Club) and had my first competetion in the England Open at Southampton about 5 years back. I won by KO in the first 20 seconds of the first round (no this isn't a wind up) and won with a reverse roundhouse (my favoutie technique) to the head - it was the second kick of a combination, a roundhouse opened the way for the reverse roundhouse. The guy had all the head gear on, but it still knocked him out. The crowd went wild, but i was bricking it big time as i thought i had killed the guy. The First Aid were called and they gave him the salts, it wasn't a very pleasant experience. Although i'm quite leggy and flexible for a Karate guy, trust me when i say it doesn't matter what style you do, a kick is a kick and a punch is a punch.

mean fighter
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tae kwon do (ITF)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

varsity TKD huh? well I wish I ahd that in my school anyway I do ITF TKD and the best advice I got for ya is to use your apperance to your advantage make them think your weak and just explode

DKizzle
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tracy Kenpo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I really wish my school had Martial Arts teams.

Mistassailant5
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kung Fu, Muay Thai, and Aikido

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work your angles and distances. For their kicks keep dodging to the sides while closing in and keep the distance nice and close, if they try to hit you with a close kick spin around them, they will get confused giving you a beautiful window of opportunity.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: