Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

spinninggumby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might kind of be a long shot but try finding a credible school in your area that teaches Shaolin kung fu or a related Chinese martial art. Many types or disciplines of Chinese art incorporate everything from grappling and weapons to strikes and forms. The emphasis is usually based on practical application and health and well-being rather than demonstration or aesthetic purposes (except for modern wushu). Some styles such as Wing Chun, however, may be effective but not as broad or encompassing. You won't find yourself limited although generally kung fu takes more practice and training to become efficient when compared to other arts like say Muay Thai. Nevertheless, there is much rich culture and deepness in the multiple facets of Shaolin kung fu and other related practices

The many recommendations and advice posted in reply to this thread is also pretty good so far, hehehe

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Ti-Kwon-Leap
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get online to your local library and do a search for a martial arts. There should be an encyclopedia of martial arts or something similar. Your first step should be to educate yourself about each art so that you can make an informed decision. It really will be worth the effort. People tend to convert people to whatever art they are taking at the time. Also, they put down other arts that they really know little about.
Step 1. learn about the different disciplines.
Step 2. Go to the prospective school and observe the classes being taught.
Step 3. Make an informed decision!
Good luck!

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickboxing might be good for you since I know a lot of girls are know taking it up and its more of a sport thasn self defence but its very practical. But I would suggest like everyone else look up martial arts that you like and try to narrow them down to the ones that you think you would enjoy and then try them all out if you cant make your mind up. You will be the better fighter to the one you arew suited to. Remember that if there isnt one martial art thats better than any over one otherwise everyone would be doing that one.

Its not the Martial Art its the Martial artist.

Bretty101
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

...I'm looking for something really practical and efficient and real, that will turn me into a good fighter...

Thai boxing!

Bretty

Lau gar
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kung fu rules

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think that Thai Boxing is suitable for a girl, more kickboxing. Actually definately kickboxing. Its fun, safe and you learn a very practiacal means of defending your selves, you increase your stamina, muscular endurance, technique, power and strengh. Yes definately kickboxing is for you.

14 years old

[ This Message was edited by: Eye of the Tiger on 2002-06-16 15:25 ]

shuriken_girl
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crosstraining would be awesome...karate for a basis and to start learning to fight quickly, and kung fu to get really skilled once I advance. That would be ideal, but I'd also crosstrain in either muay thai, ninjutsu or kenpo, if I could only find a school for one of them.

Unfortunately though, I live in a somewhat isolated part of Maui (small island) and my parents aren't willing to drive me too far. This really limits my options.
But thankfully I found two great karate schools. One at the YMCA that I checked out with two great instructors and another smaller dojo I have yet to see but have heard good things about. Now I can take karate for sure!!
*does happy dance*

ahem...anyways, these two karate schools, tae kwon do, judo, and aikido are the only available arts I could find in the yellow pages and the bulletin board of the martial arts supply store. So karate was the only real fighting striking art there.

But I haven't given up hope that there might be a low-profile school or someplace I simply haven't found yet. Especially since I live in a Chinese community. (I'm not Chinese though)

So do you think maybe there's a place I haven't found yet? Or have any ideas where to look?
I just want to be sure of what's out there before I make my descision...looking at only two karate schools isn't quite satisfying. How do I know there's not something completely different I'd rather take instead? Who knows...

I guess I just have an insatiable (sp?) curiosity...but nevertheless, I'm very happy to have found such great karate dojos.

searcher
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Chito-ryu(Shorin and Shorei), Isshinryu, Hawaiian Kenpo, Judo, Ryukyu Kobudo Currently studying ITF TKD

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The decision will ultimately be yours but I suggest that you go to several schools and watch class. Don't go off of a first impression, go there several times. If they get annoied at you forget about them and go to a different school. Find an instructor that you can get along with and that you think you can learn from. Make sure you will be able to challange yourself and that the system is one that interests you. No two people will like the same styles, find one for YOU!!!!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: