Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Bretty101
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Now i'm well bendy splits all over the place but can't for the life of me do a twist kick. Are there particular (safe) stretches i can do to achieve a wicked twist kick or is it just something you can either do or you can't?

Your opinions please!

Bretty

TKD_McGee
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be rude or anything, but how much do u weight? A twist kick is for a tap, its incredibully hard to make a twist kick move someone unless they weight a lot less than you, or they are inexperienced.

Try to twist the hip instead of your knee, this prevents injuries. Its all in the hips, ya gotta whip the hips. I don't think u want to work your inner leg tendons that can be dangerous. Just use a regular routine of stretching, and listen good in class. It will come with time.

Bretty101
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-03-02 14:41, TKD_McGee wrote:
Not to be rude or anything, but how much do u weight?

erm 216lbs, you not rude thanks for the help

Quote:
..A twist kick is for a tap, its incredibully hard to make a twist kick move someone unless they weight a lot less than you, or they are inexperienced...

Have to disagree i have videos of members of the TAGB (taekwondo assossiation of Great Britain) breaking bricks with it and Master Frank Murphy used to always break with it too. I wanna be able to do it looks like a great solar plexus shot!

Quote:

...Just use a regular routine of stretching, and listen good in class. It will come with time....

I do regular stretching, but probabley not the right ones what do you recommend? Have been doing TKD for years and i still twist kick the way i always did, it's not coming, and my instructor thinks it's something you can either do or you can't, plz help.

Cheers,

Bretty

TKD_McGee
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the guy you saw in the video was probabily a talented person who has trained for years. I assumed that you just started because of your question. But you say you've done it for a year and u still have trouble, how about asking some elders in your school or your master? I hate to try to explain different stretches over the internet, especially with no filmstrips. Try doing general stretches each day, and running for stamina.

Joecooke007
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooohhhh. heated disscussion! I'm just gonna sit back and watch 'cause I'm friggin' brain dead when it comes to TKD.

Bretty101
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not heated discussion at all. i don't want to argue if it's a good kick or not it's taekwondo so i want to be able to do it but can't please help any one.

I've done TKD for nine and a half years and my twist kick isn't getting anywhere need help but not sure what stretches to do without damaging knees etc. I can already do the splits front to back and side splits but i think it's a different stretch i need.

Is it something you can either do or you can't?

Please don't sit back and help us, Fanx

Bretty

TKD_McGee
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

9 year wow, I think you should be able to help me with your twist kick with that experience... haha.

Sounds like a personal problem then.

Bretty101
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some one must be able to help me!

Is it coz your all WTF and sporty so you don't bother doing them

Just kidding, maybe you could ask you instructors for me,

Fanx.

Bretty

TKD_McGee
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to think of it I heard something about the twist kick recently...

One of my instructors told me about a lady that went to the school a year ago that broke 2 boards using a twist kick with the ball of the foot. I guess its all in the hip leg motion. Try working your legs out for more strength maybe?

My school is ITF/WTF combo.

[ This Message was edited by: TKD_McGee on 2002-03-06 08:50 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The knee is lifted straight up to the desired kicking height as the corresponding arm is brought across the midsection. As the kick is delivered forward, this arm is thrown back at the same rate and the hips are twisted and pushed forward. The opposing arm is brought across the midsection to guard. The target is struck using the ball of the foot, and the anchor foot is turned out with knee slightly bent. The foot must be recoiled immediately using the same motion.
http://www.tkd.co.uk/webpages/galpics/14.htm
Suggest you perform stretches that work the hips pushing them and the pelvic area forward.
Continue to do the splits but do side splits rather than forward splits.
Its all in the hips and I find that the guys generally have a harder time working their hips.... we gals are naturals at it but if you practice loosening up a bit ... it may look funny to those per chance watching you but, wiggle your hips.... thrust your pelvis forward and flick out your flexed foot (following the motion of the wet towel) quick retraction!!!
It just may be something you personally cannot master .... keep trying!!!
I hope this helps somewhat .... In our school we refer to this kick as a reverse roundhouse (not quite sure if that is correct or not though)

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-03-15 07:26 ]
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: