Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Aodhan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: ATA TKD, WTF, Shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: UBBT testing Reply with quote

We had our testing for the Ultimate Black Belt program that some of us in the school have been doing for the past year. Our instructor created it as part of the requirements for her Master's level induction.

For the final, we got to design our own testing, as long as it was personally challenging, so I did my traditional form as a warmup, then basically a breaking demo.

Breaks (All done with 1" ponderosa pine boards)

#1 - Ridge Hand (2 boards) Knife hand (2 boards) back elbow (3 boards) combination break. Broke one of the ridge hands (bad prep on my part), both knife hand, and all the back elbow, then came back and finished the ridge hand.

#2 - 360 jump reverse side kick, 3 boards, successful

#3 - 360 spin heel kick, 3 boards. Supposed to be a speed break, missed both times I tried, basically I kicked the boards out of the holders hands.

#4 - 3 concrete edging blocks, about 2" thick. If you go to a home depot or similar, it;s the ones with scalloped edges that they use for garden borders. Broke all blocks first attempt

#5 - 3 board shin break. I was worried about this one, but it went smooooth, like buttah.

All in all, I was pretty pleased. I now know that I could do more boards on several of the techniques, but since this was my first multiple boards attempt, I didn't have a measure. Also, I taped the boards together at the ends so that the grains didn't get mixed, I've been told now that makes it harder.

All in all, it was very cool! I have a video, if I can ever figure out how to get it into a web format, I'll post a link.

Aodhan

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

cathal
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan (Ryukyu Kobujutsu, Iaido)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what are the goals of the UBB program she made?
hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.
- Sun-tzu

Aodhan
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cathal wrote:
So what are the goals of the UBB program she made?

Similar to Tom Callos' program (She got permission from him to use it as a model)

Daily tasks:
Form - 3 times
Good deeds - 3
3 miles walking
150 pushups
150 situps
Sparring - 3 2 minute rounds (Could be regular, shadow, etc.)
15 minutes meditation

Yearly tasks:
1 self improvement/philosophy type book read per month
Achieve 10 personal goals
1 day, 3 day and 9 day fast
One community project
Spend 1 day blind, mute or in a wheelchair

Also, there were journaling requirements, but I didn't really journal all that much. I've never been much of a diary keeping type of person.

Final was to design your own testing, it could be used as either two midterms or as a rank test if you were ready for a rank test. Unfortunately, I couldn't use it as a rank test as I have another 2 months in rank to go before I am eligible.

Basically, it's a way to really advance yourself personally and as a martial artist. It's a lot of work and sacrifice, but it was very much worth it. I don't think without this as part of the preparation, I would have done as well as I did on my instructor certification camp.

Aodhan

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: UBBT Reply with quote

That sounds very interesting, Aodhan. What I like about the ATA is the constant improvement and refinement that is made in the organization.

Aodhan
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: UBBT Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
That sounds very interesting, Aodhan. What I like about the ATA is the constant improvement and refinement that is made in the organization.

Well, this wasn't really anything the ATA engineered. This is something my school owner did as a program in school only as part of her Master's preparation.

Aodhan

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: UBBT Reply with quote

Aodhan wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:

Well, this wasn't really anything the ATA engineered. This is something my school owner did as a program in school only as part of her Master's preparation.

Aodhan

Yeah, I understood that. But, don't you imagine that is where the ATA comes up with some of it's ideas? It is great networking.

Aodhan
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: UBBT Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Aodhan wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:

Aodhan

Yeah, I understood that. But, don't you imagine that is where the ATA comes up with some of it's ideas? It is great networking.

Oh, absolutely. I was asked to be a board holder during my school owners testing for 7th degree at Worlds, and I got to meet SO many of the high ranks in the organization by doing so. I also got to meet Chuck Norris, and I had probably a good hour conversation with Mike Chat about XMA, marketing, why he chose the ATA to "ally" with, how to teach, etc. I have a HUGE respect for the man that I hadn't before. Not only is he an incredible MA, but he understands the business aspects of martial arts as well. Networking rocks!

Aodhan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: