Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I didn’t say this sooner, Danielle...

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

The cast isn’t forever. Make sure you follow your surgeon’s and therapists’ orders. Once you’re out of the immobilizer, there’s usually a specific protocol as to how much you bend the elbow and when. It’s a progression. Or following it can lead to some bad stuff.

Sorry to hear about the reaction. I doubt a cast would do that, but unfortunately stranger things have happened.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be the first moderator I've ever had come back from Tommy John surgery! It's like I'm managing a baseball team.

Sorry you have to deal with this Danielle. I know from baseball surgeries, they say they come back stronger after having the surgery and going through the proper rehab, so I'm sure that'll be the case with you, as well.

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick wrote:
You'll be the first moderator I've ever had come back from Tommy John surgery! It's like I'm managing a baseball team.

Patrick

Yes, it is! And when you finally get healthy, we promise we won't trade you like the Royals did with Greg Holland....

Sorry about that....got a little carried away.

Get well soon, Danielle!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Patrick wrote:

Patrick

Yes, it is! And when you finally get healthy, we promise we won't trade you like the Royals did with Greg Holland....

Sorry about that....got a little carried away.

Get well soon, Danielle!

I'll pretend I know what that means

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Day 12 (Tuesday): I made the mistake of going into work. Technically the doctor has signed me off for 6 weeks but I have been going stir crazy sitting at home. Also as I work in sales (B2B) if I'm not working, it jeopardises my ongoing projects so I spent all day sitting at a computer. Took it out of me and I fell asleep as soon as I got home.

Day 13 and 14 (today): arm is pretty swollen and have been in a lot of pain from it. Pretty much all my hand function is back though my grip is still very weak and I still can't feel my little finger (can move it though). Have been told that my cast should come off this time next week and I'll be given the brace instead.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checking in:

Day 15 to 20: been a mixed bag. Shoulder mobility has been great so have been ditching the sling and moving my arm around more. Towards the end of the week was feeling great apart from some soreness on the inside of the elbow which slowly progressed to being quite painful.

Day 21: 3 weeks after initially surgery and I've been released from the plaster into a mechanical brace (this one). At the moment I have 30 degrees of movement and this will be extended out over the next month or so until I have full movement. Turns out I developed blisters on the inside of my elbow which explains the soreness. Pain deep in the elbow is probably the worst its been.

Day 22 (today): It's funny how quickly muscle goes. Currently my wrist is flopping around and I can't support the weight of my hand by myself. Practicing making a fist which is really difficult and I can't quite manage it yet. Biceps, triceps and delts are noticeably absent First physio appointment on Monday to see what damage has been done. Though I've got this 30 degrees of movement in a lot of pain at the moment not keen on moving much.

Last edited by DWx on Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only one thing to say...again...OUCH!!

I can't literally feel your pain, but I do feel your pain, if you get my meaning.

Do you believe and feel that you've made progress at all, since the surgery, from where you were 3 weeks ago, to where you are now??

Any progress, I believe, is better than none at all. But then again, I'm not your doctor!! What has your doctor said about the progress you've made thus far?? Are you right on target??

You hang in there, Danielle, fight the good fight!! I'd give you a hug if I had a emoticon for it...so...this will have to do...

::HUG::

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:

I can't literally feel your pain, but I do feel your pain, if you get my meaning.

Do you believe and feel that you've made progress at all, since the surgery, from where you were 3 weeks ago, to where you are now??

Any progress, I believe, is better than none at all. But then again, I'm not your doctor!! What has your doctor said about the progress you've made thus far?? Are you right on target??

You hang in there, Danielle, fight the good fight!! I'd give you a hug if I had a emoticon for it...so...this will have to do...

Thanks Bob.

It's hard to say re. progress as I've been immobilized for the past 3 weeks and not much I could do. The coming few weeks will be the important ones as now I can work on building up my rang of motion and strength.

Not actually seen the doctor yet either. Wasn't much they could see or do when I was in the plaster but now I'm due an appointment. Unfortunately it turns out my paperwork got misplaced so I spent today chasing the hospital down for an appointment and they're going to try to fit me in next week.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

Thanks Bob.

It's hard to say re. progress as I've been immobilized for the past 3 weeks and not much I could do. The coming few weeks will be the important ones as now I can work on building up my rang of motion and strength.

Not actually seen the doctor yet either. Wasn't much they could see or do when I was in the plaster but now I'm due an appointment. Unfortunately it turns out my paperwork got misplaced so I spent today chasing the hospital down for an appointment and they're going to try to fit me in next week.

Your frustration is understood, Danielle. Makes the recovery difficult to bear on the long road back to...well...recovery.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving to the different cast seems to be a mild improvement. Hopefully it starts to pick up a bit for you. It must be tough, restraining yourself from punching!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: