Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time is flying by.

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what day I'm on now, I think today is Day 105...

Anyway to update, the holidays were fairly uneventful. Continued to stretch out and try to use my arm as much as possible. Given permission to go back to the gym but no arm weights until after Christmas. Did another squad training session coaching. Could really feel it when trying to demonstrate punching but was worse when trying to hold the focus mitts and resist against the punches, even when working with the kids.

Day 103 (Tues): Physio again. More stretching but I'm locking out at about 5 degrees off straight. Physio thinks it won't go much straighter and has given me permission to start weights but machines only, no free weights or dumbells. Wants me to work up to plank and then pushups but first wall push ups. Went gym after work and struggled with even the lightest weights which is depressing .

Day 104 (Weds): 1st time seeing the surgeon himself. Happy with progress so far but insisting that I will get my arm straight and should really push it over the next few weeks. Said he's considering asking me to see his physio instead of the NHS physio I've been assigned. NHS physio's main priority is to get me back to health and able to work and do day to day stuff, but they don't have any specific expertise for sports rehabilitation. Surgeon also wants me to hit the weights hard but again no free weights for the time being.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just used this tool to shift dates from one semester to another in my online homework that I set up for my students:

https://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html

Maybe that'll help count the days!

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How times fly, huh, Danielle!! Sounds to me that you're doing just fine, as the doctor planned. Keep up the work, and get better soon!!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To update

Day 119: was invited to guest instruct at a friend's school. Ran sparring drills no problem for the kids then jumped in with the seniors to train. Pleasantly surprised how my forms and sparring felt considering I've not down anything at all for 4 months. Felt really strong for forms but fitness is really down. Huffing and puffing after only a few. Sparred with some of the adults and felt like my arm took it well.. that is until I took a kick on it and now it's really sore. Was good to see I'm not too rusty though.

(Thanks for the website singularity6, can do my day numbers now )

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do what I can!

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
To update

Day 119: was invited to guest instruct at a friend's school. Ran sparring drills no problem for the kids then jumped in with the seniors to train. Pleasantly surprised how my forms and sparring felt considering I've not down anything at all for 4 months. Felt really strong for forms but fitness is really down. Huffing and puffing after only a few. Sparred with some of the adults and felt like my arm took it well.. that is until I took a kick on it and now it's really sore. Was good to see I'm not too rusty though.

(Thanks for the website singularity6, can do my day numbers now )

Sounds to me that you're doing just fine, considering all that you've been through!!

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belated, but that's great news, Danielle!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's everything going, Danielle?? Just wanted to check in on you to see how you're doing!!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
How's everything going, Danielle?? Just wanted to check in on you to see how you're doing!!

Thanks Bob. Things moved so fast at the start and I made really quick progress. Now I'm about 4 months later progress is a lot slower and easy to forget how far I've come with it.

Ok so since my last update:

Day 124: check in with physio to see how I'm getting on. Have been working hard in the gym and am probably 80% of the way back to where I was strength-wise. Physio happy with my progress and did some more stretching of my arm. Less than 5 degrees bend now.

Day 126: 2nd time seeing my surgeon (+students). Did some basic strength tests and discussed my plans for return to full TKD training. Happy with my progress but still got to keep on stretching it as much as I can. Can continue to do strength work and now work towards more free weights. Aiming for a full return to TKD for March / April time and will meet with him again in May to see how it's going.

Day 129: national squad training again. Limited training but getting back into the swing of sparring drills and pad work with the team. Not back at normal training yet but keeping my hand in by teaching forms and sparring drills.

Day 140 (last Thursday): physio appointment. Review of where I am strength-wise. Advised to keep working on strength at the gym and to begin doing skill work again. Not much more they can do for me now as it'd just down to me. Discharged from the physio though I can still call up or make an appointment if I need to.

So all in all things are going pretty well. Rehabilitation is definitely a learning process as though there is plenty of information about rehabbing a Tommy John for baseball, there are limited studies on other athletes or martial artists recovering from this op. I'm having to figure out what works and what doesn't work as we go along.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: