Add KarateForums.com
VOTING OPEN! KarateForums.com Awards 2019!
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health, Training and Fitness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.
Author Message

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 31 Mar 2006
Posts: 27847
Location: Hays, KS
Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like things are going great!
_________________
www.haysgym.com
http://www.sunyis.com/
www.aikidoofnorthwestkansas.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 23 Feb 2008
Posts: 14492
Location: Houston, TX
Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
It sounds like things are going great!

It sure does!! Keep on healing and get better soon, Danielle!! We got your back!!



_________________
Nominate Your Favorites in the KarateForums.com Awards 2019!

**Proof is on the floor!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

DWx
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 17 Jan 2007
Posts: 6165
Location: UK
Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

Well today is officially 150 days post surgery. Scars are starting to fade now, need some awesome tattoo coverup ideas. https://photos.app.goo.gl/TRpEzKIY1zppaL9y2

Somethings I learnt so far:

- lots of things are difficult to do one handed: obvious ones being opening jars and bottles, not so obvious includes buttering toast, turning the pages of a book, making tea (this one caused me the most pain)
- maybe TMI but having a cast on does make you really hairy(!) I have one wolf arm one normal arm
- teaching TKD sucks one handed, trying to correct movement is really difficult when you can't use your hands
- physios take pleasure in your discomfort
- console gaming is a great way to improve dexterity in your hands and much more fun than the physio's exercises

On a more serious note, for anyone who has to have a similar procedure on their elbow or knee, I found it was really important to force yourself the move the joint as much as possible when the cast comes off. It's painful and far to easy to sit with the joint immobilized but the quicker and more often you move it the quicker the recovery.
_________________
"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 23 Feb 2008
Posts: 14492
Location: Houston, TX
Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
Thanks guys.

Well today is officially 150 days post surgery. Scars are starting to fade now, need some awesome tattoo coverup ideas. https://photos.app.goo.gl/TRpEzKIY1zppaL9y2

Somethings I learnt so far:

- lots of things are difficult to do one handed: obvious ones being opening jars and bottles, not so obvious includes buttering toast, turning the pages of a book, making tea (this one caused me the most pain)
- maybe TMI but having a cast on does make you really hairy(!) I have one wolf arm one normal arm
- teaching TKD sucks one handed, trying to correct movement is really difficult when you can't use your hands
- physios take pleasure in your discomfort
- console gaming is a great way to improve dexterity in your hands and much more fun than the physio's exercises

On a more serious note, for anyone who has to have a similar procedure on their elbow or knee, I found it was really important to force yourself the move the joint as much as possible when the cast comes off. It's painful and far to easy to sit with the joint immobilized but the quicker and more often you move it the quicker the recovery.

Solid post!!

You faced this with faith and determination, and in the depth of it all, you continue to smile and laugh, even when you laughed at yourself.

7 times down; 8 times up!!



_________________
Nominate Your Favorites in the KarateForums.com Awards 2019!

**Proof is on the floor!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Patrick
KF Administrator

Joined: 01 May 2001
Posts: 27088
Location: Los Angeles, California

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
- console gaming is a great way to improve dexterity in your hands and much more fun than the physio's exercises



_________________
Vote for Your Favorites in the KarateForums.com Awards 2019!
Patrick O'Keefe - KarateForums.com Administrator
Have a suggestion or a bit of feedback relating to KarateForums.com? Please contact me!
KarateForums.com Articles - KarateForums.com Awards - Member of the Month - User Guidelines
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Joined: 26 Jun 2017
Posts: 958
Location: Michigan
Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick wrote:
DWx wrote:
- console gaming is a great way to improve dexterity in your hands and much more fun than the physio's exercises




I once read an article that discussed a surgeon who warmed up with Katamari Damascy for at least 20 minutes before he would operate.
_________________
5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Patrick
KF Administrator

Joined: 01 May 2001
Posts: 27088
Location: Los Angeles, California

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty cool, singularity6!
_________________
Vote for Your Favorites in the KarateForums.com Awards 2019!
Patrick O'Keefe - KarateForums.com Administrator
Have a suggestion or a bit of feedback relating to KarateForums.com? Please contact me!
KarateForums.com Articles - KarateForums.com Awards - Member of the Month - User Guidelines
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Joined: 26 Jun 2017
Posts: 958
Location: Michigan
Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick wrote:
That's pretty cool, singularity6!


Agreed! I just wish I could find the article...
_________________
5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

DWx
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 17 Jan 2007
Posts: 6165
Location: UK
Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
Patrick wrote:
DWx wrote:
- console gaming is a great way to improve dexterity in your hands and much more fun than the physio's exercises




I once read an article that discussed a surgeon who warmed up with Katamari Damascy for at least 20 minutes before he would operate.

That's pretty cool.

The exercises the physio gave were just trying to touch each finger with your joint and squeezing a stress ball. Xbox was more fun
_________________
"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 31 Mar 2006
Posts: 27847
Location: Hays, KS
Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
singularity6 wrote:
Patrick wrote:
DWx wrote:
- console gaming is a great way to improve dexterity in your hands and much more fun than the physio's exercises




I once read an article that discussed a surgeon who warmed up with Katamari Damascy for at least 20 minutes before he would operate.

That's pretty cool.

The exercises the physio gave were just trying to touch each finger with your joint and squeezing a stress ball. Xbox was more fun


Them my kids will have quite the dexterous fingers!

Its great to hear your good news, Danielle!
_________________
www.haysgym.com
http://www.sunyis.com/
www.aikidoofnorthwestkansas.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health, Training and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


< Advertising - Contact - Disclosure Policy - Staff - User Guidelines >