Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:45 am    Post subject: UFC 100 Reply with quote

Did anyone get to watch UFC 100? I did not, but I did read a bit on it, and saw some news and clips here and there. It looked like it would have been a good one to see.

Unfortunately, the fights were downplayed by Brock Lesnar's "celebration" after his win over Frank Mir in the main event: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dw-lesnar071209&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I don't like or condone the way the Lesnar acted here. Apparently, neither did Dana White. Hopefully, Lesnar's actions after the fight won't be tacked as a stereotype for all other MMA fighters out there.

Hard on the heels of this story, is the story of White nearly guaranteeing the signing of Fedor Emelianenko to fight in the UFC in the near future, and that the Fedor vs. Lesnar match will happen: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=AigATsVW.ELhiP5NjDoIsgWtEo14?slug=mmajunkie-White_says_Fedor_Lesnar_imminent&prov=mmajunkie&type=lgns

I would love to see this fight, too!

pittbullJudoka
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Ryu Kyu Kempo,Wrestling,Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The show was alright just didn't live up to the hype in my opinion. After also the hype is was like an average show. The Henderson Bisping fight was the best fight also just my opinion.
I was very disappointed with Lesnar's actions and things that he said after the fight. He needs to remember he's in the UFC and not the WWE.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was a solid card. Good fights across the night.

Henderson v. Bisping was exciting and heavy handed. GSP put on a masterful performance and really put on a clinic on the double leg takedown. Lesner and Mir was a good fight to watch.

Lesner gets a bad rap for being just big and cutting to heavyweight, but what else is he supposed to do in light of no superheavy division. If you actually break the fight down, and manage to avoid the antics after, he played a real good game. His ground control against a skilled BJJ player was excellent and his weight is always where it needs to be to hold position.

Now, his behavior afterward, well you can't really defend it so I won't try. I don't think it's going to hurt the UFC long term at all. However, I think it hurt Lesner due to the face everyone is talking about it and not his dominate performance vs. a skilled BJJ opponent.

Not a bad way to kick around a few hours. There was alot of hype going in that I just try not to pay attention to. It's easier to just sit back and watch the fight that way.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallgeese wrote:
Lesner gets a bad rap for being just big and cutting to heavyweight, but what else is he supposed to do in light of no superheavy division. If you actually break the fight down, and manage to avoid the antics after, he played a real good game. His ground control against a skilled BJJ player was excellent and his weight is always where it needs to be to hold position.

Its unfortunate, too, that this will likely be overlooked for a very long time because of his actions after the fight. But, he brought it on himself.

I also think that the hype is something to be ignored. It seems like too much is expected of the fights at times. All of these guys are so good, and in such good shape, that I think these hyped matches are going to be more and more like this, where people claim that the fighters don't look skilled, when in fact they are so skilled, that they don't just pounce all over each other recklessly. They train for months on a fight plan; when the time comes, they work the plan.

pittbullJudoka
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Ryu Kyu Kempo,Wrestling,Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong I'm a hughe mma fan but I just expected a little some extra. I don't what but some thing. Also Lesnar had a great game plan to beat Mir. He know how to use his weight for sure and that shows in his past multipul nation collegic championships. Gsp a clinic he did and with an injured groin from the third round on.

white owl
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was all right card, I agree it was not up to all the hype. GSP fight was good and so was Henderson's. I really did not care for Lesnar's antics and he needs to remember that he is not in the WWE. So he needs to quit rehearsing his scripts.

the beast
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree the fights were not all that exciting for what it was built up to be.

Lesnar definitely showed a real lack of class after his destruction of Mir.

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UFC 100 was on Spike (again) last night, and I caught the Top 20, one show being 20-11, the next being 10-1.

I liked it because it was trimmed to the "most action" segments, so it kept my attention, but twenty fights was definitely my limit. My problem with UFC is that I don't really remember individual fighters' names=faces, but when I see them on the screen, I recognize them and know who I like.

It was just by luck that I was home, and I'm glad I caught it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: