Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

YoungGrasshopper
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:47 am    Post subject: UFC Fighter's Salary? Reply with quote

I'm curious, but how much would a "fairly successful" UFC Fighter make a year? I'm asking because I want to know if it's something that you can make a living out of. I have been told not to depend on martial art as something to make a living out of(unless it's acting or something), but instead to be left alone merely as a hobby.

My idea of the "fairly well" UFC fighters were that training was their only responsibility, and a 2nd occupation wasn't necessary.
But then I was told that many of the fighters needed a 2nd occupation in order to maintain a decent living, and must fit in their training somehow.

These thoughts always had come into my mind...which makes me a bit skeptical about training as hard as I'd like. Making a lot of money was never my concern for this, but I always thought that it'd pay atleast enough to maintain a simple living. So anyways, do UFC Fighters make decent mula?

Stold
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have exact numbers but UFC fighters are horribly under paid. Pride FC(Japan) is where the money is. Bob Sapp made 3 million this year.

TJS
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: boxing, Thai boxing, BJJ,

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: UFC Fighter's Salary? Reply with quote

YoungGrasshopper wrote:
I'm curious, but how much would a "fairly successful" UFC Fighter make a year? I'm asking because I want to know if it's something that you can make a living out of. I have been told not to depend on martial art as something to make a living out of(unless it's acting or something), but instead to be left alone merely as a hobby.

My idea of the "fairly well" UFC fighters were that training was their only responsibility, and a 2nd occupation wasn't necessary.
But then I was told that many of the fighters needed a 2nd occupation in order to maintain a decent living, and must fit in their training somehow.

These thoughts always had come into my mind...which makes me a bit skeptical about training as hard as I'd like. Making a lot of money was never my concern for this, but I always thought that it'd pay atleast enough to maintain a simple living. So anyways, do UFC Fighters make decent mula?

Really depends..for example in the last UFC Ricco Rodriguez made like 35k when Pedro Rizzo made 250k for th esame fight.

Some guys make a few thousand and others make 100k-300k.

Squawman
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: TKD, BJJ

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:40 pm    Post subject: UFC Salary Reply with quote

Randy Couture lives in the same city I do and the local paper had a good article on him. It said for his next fight against Vitor Belfort he will get $120,000 just to show up and another $80,000 if he wins. That is his third fight of a three fight contract which could be worth $525,000. Plus Couture has a studio in town that he owns plus since he's a big name he does alot of seminars around the country. So you could make good money at it but it is very,VERY hard.

TJS
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: boxing, Thai boxing, BJJ,

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea you basically have to be at the top of the game if you want ot get rich from it...but there are a few "gatekeepers" like Gary Goodridge who make a nice amount.

Scorcho
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Uechi Ryu, Jiu-Jitsu, Aikido, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about UFC, but I know that the purse for the K1 Grand Prix Champ was $400,000 this year. I know that most fighters fight in multiple competitions, to increase their chances of success and their salary.

As far as second jobs, I would be surprised if any work a regular day job. Most probably work as fitness trainers or something like that at their gym/dojo.

YoungGrasshopper
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright thanx, very helpful replies.

*Practice is the key* ^_^
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: No style

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd too will go to the royal air force or get some office jobs and maybe on karate.
That one is myself just have been turn down....
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: