Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: UFC institutes medical/criminal background checks Reply with quote

From MMAJunkie.com: http://mmajunkie.com/2014/05/new-ufc-background-checks-ask-fighters-for-criminal-history-release-of-medical-records

Found this, and thought it would make for some good discussion. What is the community's thoughts on this? Good idea? Should it have been done a long time ago? Is it too intrusive?

Personally, I think it is probably a good idea, if the UFC is wanting to protect its image, in regards to the criminal background checks. But, it appears that they have a lot of leeway with it, and don't necessarily have to base their actions off of a lack of a conviction. But, I can understand this, too.

Anyone else have any comments on this?

Wado Heretic
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu , Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu (Kodokan), RyuKyu Kobojutsu

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad to hear of the health check. Every other professional sport has required these for a long while, and even some amateur Martial Arts organisations have required doctors clearance before allowing people to compete. It is long over due, especially in a sport as potentially dangerous as MMA.

The criminal back ground check? Just an employer doing their due diligence.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The medical clearance is already handled by the state athletic commissions, but I suppose it doesn't hurt to double-check. I do think the background checks are a good idea, since the UFC has already had to release fighters after criminal or racist activity has come to light. They would save themselves the trouble if they just didn't sign them to begin with. It makes good business sense.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it is a good idea. At the end of the day UFC is a brand that has to make money and as such, they wish to avoid any controversy surrounding a fighter that appears within their organization (such as they have already faced). Like the article said, the UFC wants to expand and grow their empire and the way to do that is to be responsible about who they bring into their fold.

As far as the health check goes, for me this is a given and they should have done this already in my mind. Wastelander is right in saying that it is already handled, but as a company that literally throws people into situations where the end goal is to physically best their opponent it doesn't hurt to double check.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imho, they should've been doing that from the jump street, but, better late than never, right?! Glad to see that they're doing something about it right now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: