Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Is the UFC a good guide as to which martial arts are effective for the street or is the UFC too sporty?
Good guide
53%
 53%  [ 7 ]
Too sporty
46%
 46%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 13

STR33T GUY
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Boxing, Muay Thai, Wrestling, Jujitsu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent posts Gumbi!

Luckykboxer wrote:

Tank is a pit fighter, I fought in some of the same "cards" as he did.

Prove it! Tell us who you are, so we can look up your fight record at sherdog.

If you can’t sprawl and brawl, you can’t street fight.

Gumbi
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckykboxer wrote:
Gumbi you need to recheck your facts.
MMA isnt one or two styles, there are literally parts taken from dozens of different styles, it is truely a blending of the arts.
It is not as you put a showdown of different styles.

Thats what I meant to imply in my post- I never said MMA was style vs style anymore, but I wouldnt go as far to say that alot of fighters combine "dozens" of arts.

Luckykboxer wrote:

Also to use Tank Abbott as you example of a kick * street fighter is laughable.
Tank is a pit fighter, I fought in some of the same "cards" as he did. When he was in his prime, and the last 5 years are two totally different things.
I would laugh at the thought of handling Tank now. As his major weakness is well known, and very easily passed.

LOL, I never said Tank was a great fighter, to the contrary hes about as tough and straight out street fighter you're going to fight. How many guys do you know that are benching 600 lbs?

Also, pit fighting is NOT a style, much the same that San Shou, or MMA isnt a style. I agree that Tank is a joke, but I'd like to you how you "easily" handle him. Whats your name on those cards? By showing us you are actually a fighter, you'll help your credibility along immesely

Luckykboxer wrote:
Also your assumptions of UFC fights being as brutal as I claim them not to be, well I know many UFC fighters, and with the exception of a very fwe they are none of them bloodthirsty, or wanting to beat people to a pulp.
Even teh loud mouths like Tito Ortiz are pretty much pussycats. There is a big difference between a true no holds barred fighter, and I speak from experience in both arenas. ?

There are many fighters in the UFC who were "street fighters" prior to fighting in the UFC. Regardless of whether or not their bloodthirsty, it doesnt change the fact they're winning the fights.

Suddenly being a loudmouth or acting like a tough guy actually makes you tough? That means jack- the best fighter in the world is also one of the humblest guys in the world (and I'll LAUGH HYSTERICALLY if you tell me that you've got a NHB fighter who would destroy Fedor).

And if Tito is such a pussycat, why dont you step up there and fight him?

Luckykboxer wrote:
You will never see the amount of fights go to the ground in no holds barred, true no rules fighting, as you do in UFC.
No Holds Barred, NO Rules Fighting is the closest thing to real fighting, because it quite simply is real fighting.?

I agree, the fewer rules, the more realistic, but I'd like to know what venues and what fighters you're talking about. I thought the arguement here was streetfighters vs mixed martial artists. There are plenty of no rules tournaments still being run in Brazil, but many of these fighters just arent good enough to hack it in the higher shows.

And your statement that fewer fights go to the ground in no rules is way off- you do realize that just about ALL the rules in modern day MMA favor the striker over the grappler? As we take those away, the grappler begins to regain the natrual edge he had in a fight.

Luckykboxer wrote:
Trust me no holds barred fighting would never be successful mainstream today.?

I disagree- NSAC had to come along and institute a bunch of rules because UFC (which was then no rules fighting) was starting to become more and more popular. For fear that they would lose the boxing audience, they instituted so many * rules.

Luckykboxer wrote:
But like the best boxers in the world, they are extremely good in their game, but once you change the game, and take away rules, and allow more various weapons and techniques, they become less efficient and more open to getting beat and bad.

Thats COMPLETELY different- boxing is a sport, not a fight. All of the banned holds and strikes in UFC were at one point, legal and can quite frankly be done by anyone (headbutts, elbows from the back to the spine, etc). Biting and eye gouging were the only rules constantly in effect, yet there were tournaments where these were ignored by the fighters. In fact, by instituting these rules, I believe they're encouraging fighters to become more complete. With the lack of all the rules in the UFC, we'd probably still see straight BJJ guys in the ring, since all they have to do is take the fight to the ground once. With so many rules going against them now, they are forced to learn other aspects of the game (such as striking) then otherwise.

Luckykboxer wrote:
but when you have a true no holds barred fighter, that has great conditioning and training, I guarantee you the fight will look nothing like a UFC fight. And Even if the UFC fighter wins, it will not even come close to looking like a UFC fight

A fight is a fight, and Im failing to see how miraculously, the world turns upside down when rules (which were ALREADY at one point fought without) are taken away. Sure, the fight will be different, as more things can happen, but I think you're expecting way too much.

Luckykboxer wrote:
Now if you have experience lets hear it?

I work as a bouncer at a rather popular bar, and i've been involved in more than my fair share of fights. Against untrained people, its is incredibly easy to the point of being a joke. And I've had people attempt to bite or eye gouge me to no avail

Luckykboxer wrote:
you dont think that all those rules are in effect to actually encourage grappling do you??

This is why I question your self proclaimed expertise- it sounds to me that you're simply anti-grappling. I myself was, since I was more of a striker when UFC's occured, but using the same examples you're using, I was not able to convince myself that grappling wasnt as real as it seemed to be.

As far as the rules are concerned, practically ALL of the rules in modern day MMA FAVOR STRIKERS- NOT GRAPPLERS. The simple fact that the US has a grossly ignorant fan following means they dont care about the ground game. Go to any UFC and they'll boo once the fight goes to the ground- bored fans means less fans, and the UFC is just as interested in making more money than making a fair fight. Many rules changes were made so that strikers would have a better chance.

Luckykboxer wrote:

you dont think that the Gracies, who started the UFC in the first place as a marketing campaign, used it as a platform to give themselves the edge over other styles??

Of course they did, but you're failing to realize a few things. First off, this is not a Gracie Jiu Jitsu vs the world argument, but rather MMA vs the untrained. Secondly, granted the Gracies used the UFC to promote themselves, but for christs sake, how do you explain the undeniable success of BJJ and grapplers in general in all venues of mixed martial art and no holds barred fighting? Im not trying to say that you're indestructable having learned it, but rather just giving a rebuttle to your argument by showing that it has been proven very effective by multiple people in numerous events.

Luckykboxer wrote:

you dont think that since the first couple UFCs that when fighters cross trained to become more complete fighters that it had anything to do with why the Gracies got out, since they are all undersized, and you dont think that since it is so much less violent then ho rules fighting that it is being accepted more and more, and is actually becoming a reality show do ya?

Once again....

First off, the Gracies are not the only NHB fighters in the world. I dont even consider them the top fighters in any weight class. It is obviously less violent than it used to be, but one can hardly attribute the rules as a reason- for example

The first UFC's (along with other MMA events) were practically no rules fighting (as explained before). The reason why it was so brtual is because so many fighters were inadequately trained to deal with the circumstances that occured. With great mismatches in weight and skill, you're bound to see such beatdowns and brutal fights. In todays MMA, people have learned from the mistakes made by those in the past, and know what to train in and what to expect in a fight. With the addition of weight classes and fighters who are closer in skill level, its very unlikely to see the same level of brutality.

Also, fights are stopped when someone is an established winner (i.e. the ref stops the fight when someone gets knocked down and is dazed enough that hes deemed to be unable to defend himself, for example). If the ref didnt intervene at that point, you'd see someones head get pounded through the mat and crushed, or someone choked to death, but that doesnt change which fighter wins the fight.

As far as the UFC becoming a reality show, I'd say its far from it. Beyond that, there are many more MMA tournaments than UFC.

Luckykboxer
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Kenpo Karate, Muay Thai, Jiu Jitsu, Boxing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok... I wanted to post a quick message, lots to reply to here, but i am headed out, ill reply when i get back.

A few things off the top of my head though.

I have seen teh video of Tanks so called 600 pound bench press, and Having talked to Tank, and having been around him I have absolutely no doubt that that is faked. I know that there will always be people saying no way its true, But I dont believe it for 1 second.

Also I have the original application for the UFC here somewhere.
There were rules, even though they claimed it as no rules fighting.
I will try to grab a copy and relay it here.

Oh and to Street Guy, I actually enjoy my semi anonomous status on the internet. You can doubt my credentials if you choose, but I dont think im going to be baited into revealing myself to you here for this reason.

Anyways ill edit this when i have more time later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: