Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting in the UFC is much harder than you may think it is. Not anyone can just walk up and say I want in. You will have tons of pre fights in lower levals. If you notice all the guys who are in have some common link. The LionsDen, The Gracie, Tank Abbot and his buddies. In other words the guys you see on TV are the stars they are the upper levals.

Now I have saw a lot of guys in the UFC before that I was thinking man I could beat this guy up. That was in its younger days. It much like pro wrestling now. Learn to strike, Lean how to defend against BJJ even if you learn it or not. Most of all be in shape because in the end a person who has air will win.

Good luck I hope you know what your getting into....

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AIKIJUJUTSU HAS NO KUNG FU IN IT!

What you are being taught Kyle San is a hybrid system and not true Aikijutsu. Sensei Takeda never trained in anything but Aikijutsu, and the creator of Aikijutsu Shinra Saburo Minamoto no Yoshimitsu has never traveled to China. The only link to the chinese MA would be that of Chin Na, which has nothing to do with striking. The main land Japanese arts are completely devoid of Chinese influence.

Regards, have a merry Christmas.

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've watched UFC's from the beggining, first couple were Style v. Styles competitions and they were about martial arts Now i feel its not more a "Martial Arts" contest and also I don't call the people who compete in UFC "martial Artists" I call them modern Gladiators or just "fighters".
If you read most of there Bio's, interviews, etc... they couldn't care less about martial arts. They are Pro-fighters who are making a living on those shows and training people for them. Martial arts are a tool for make them better fighters.If you read about them carefully, many of them don't have much martial arts training, most of them are Boxers/Wrestlers, The martial art still trained heavily is BJJ, SOME kyokushin karate.. , since Muay Thai is a combat sport just like Boxing, wrestling.
Now, Im not saying its NOT effective, Of COURSE its effective. Im just saying that NHB/MMA/UFC competitions and Martial Arts you train in your next door Dojo aren't the same anymore.

Kyle-san
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I love the classic UFC bouts. Anything up to UFC IV or V was really something interesting. Then it moved to the state it's in today.

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2002 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, I DO like the UFC today as well, but in a diferent way.
I don't see it anymore as a Style v Style as it was in the beggining, but as a Contest of People v People.
I feel that the fighters of today are much more better prepared physically and technically than the figthers of the first couple of UFC's But the competition is now Far away from Martial Arts and is more like a WWF pro-wrestling TV show without "worked" matches (despite i've heard that Pride DO have worked Matches as well as real ones)
Anyway, Martial arts was first something just for a few people, warrior breed and with time it was developed for all people to train in. Then again this New MMA move is only for a few people who have the time and the physical, atletic attributes to endure several hours of training in diferent aspect of fighting for the goal of making money and fame and prove themselfs. And that's something that most of regular people can't do. That's why i consider UFC/NHB and the martial Arts diferent things but linked together.

Iron Arahat
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest UFC's are starting to look like profession wrestling. Although not as bad as Pride which includes Professional Wrestlers in their program.

http://www.liveyyc.com

Calgary Photographer: http://www.jdirom.com

PhilM1
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: shorin ryu, BJJ, kickboxing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 8:56 pm    Post subject: good luck Reply with quote

hey i wish you good luck in going into the ufc. it takes a lot of balls. just make sure you are gnarly enough to take whatever they can dish out. cuz ive seen some gnarly stuff.

Tombstone
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the support.

magikchiongson
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kun Tao, Silat, Ba Gua, Tae Kweer Do

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UFC is great, I talk smack about grapplers all the time, but I've seen every single UFC =P.

I just wish that these Grapplers would get a clue though, and not prounce around and claim they have the best Martial Arts or something stupid like that.

They should change the venue title to Ultimate Grappling Though. Admit it, UFC is for Grapplers. Umm you know though, Eskrimadors where I'm from still do Challenges to the death, if yall are interested...... hehe grapple on top of a mountain with jagged rocks and other cool things like that.

Thai_Kick2
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Muay Thai, JKD, Kali

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They should change the venue title to Ultimate Grappling Though. Admit it, UFC is for Grapplers.

This is very true, the rules in UFC are in favor of the grappling styles, but this is why the majority of the fighters compete in Pride where the rules do not favor either style. Also the WVC in Brazil only has three rules; No grion shots, biting and eye jabs these rules of coarse don't favor anybody.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10
Jump to: