Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

magikchiongson
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kun Tao, Silat, Ba Gua, Tae Kweer Do

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sux, Kuntao has ALOT of whips to the eyes and groin shots every other move lol. Are you allowed to elbow on the head on Pride?

Thai_Kick2
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Muay Thai, JKD, Kali

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That sux, Kuntao has ALOT of whips to the eyes and groin shots every other move lol.

I see, but do you spar/fight using whips to the eyes and shots to the groin, if not then your not missing anything or be at a diaadvantage if you were to compete in MMA. The only style that would be at a disadvantage with these rules would be Burmese Boxers, in their fights they allow eye whips, and eye jabs to stun their opponent and get the easy KO.

Quote:
Are you allowed to elbow on the head on Pride?

Yes, even UFC is allowing elbow shot to the head now.

magikchiongson
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kun Tao, Silat, Ba Gua, Tae Kweer Do

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welp, that's the frustrating thing about certain Martial Arts, just can't simulate certain situations. Best thing you can do is get your reflexes so used to doing something, like whipping the eyes, either to stun or take it out altogether. It just feels strange to be deciding the affectiveness of a Martial Arts within a controlled environment though.

If we were ever to see a Kuntaoer in the Octagon or Pride for example, it would be a very diluted form of Kuntao. They have sport Silat now too, and I kinda cringe at that. But man, I would love to see how a Kuntaoer or a Penjakker even at its' Modified for Sports forms compete in these events. Dutch Indonesians are hotheads anyways, I'm surprised they aren't busting down the door to UFC to fight. If Muay Thai's close ranged attacks does well, there's no reason for other SE Asian close ranged Styles not to do well. Especially with these's arts penchant to follow an opponent to the ground to finish them off.

m002
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd love to see anyone from BJJ take on a decent Aiki JuJitsu practitioner."

lol so would I.

I don't agree that UFC styles would be beaten so easily.

They're basically the same "styles" - Submission wrestling, Muay Thai. Still alot of BJJ guys with Muay Thai Or boxing.

"Submission Fighter" - UFC isn;t fixed. PFC is generally not fixed if at all (maybe a few at the beggining but not all, and not most.)

The fighters now r much better, and could deaft a majority of the fighters in the "no rules event" due to sheer skill and athletisism (have easyily - RGracie vs Sakuraba etc.)

Martial Arts, atleast now, are mostly if not all a reinactments of what the old, orginal styles used to be; what they were supposed to be.

Any real fighting done within would turn into Boxing, or kickboxing/San Shou. With possibly some Judo thrown in. I know because I;ve done a few of the Tradtional arts, and seen many others (such as Juijitsu, Wing Chun etc.)

baronbvp
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Muay Thai, boxing, JKD/MMA, Shorin Ryu, military combat arts, fencing, archery

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was amazed when I saw Royce Gracie in the first four UFCs. That alone made BJJ get the attention of America. I would like to learn it because it would complement other knowledge.

From what I've seen, most people who don't grapple don't want to go to the ground, and the grapplers do. The trick is to end it before it goes to the ground if you don't know how to ground fight, and to end it on the ground before the cops come if you do.

It's all good.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

fangshi
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Savate,Bagua , Aikido

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I am well schooled in the ways of the UFC but it seems to me that the rules are such that they are attempting to seek a balance between striking and grappling .
The UFC is a FORprofit organization . What they are marketing has to be exciting and interesting or it will cease to exsist .
It seems to me they have changed rules over the years in such a way that both kinds of fighting can equally be used in an effective and victorious way .
Yes , when no advancement is being atempted on the ground they stand them back up . This is obviously to keep the action going and the interest up not to favor the stiker over the grappler . More to penalize the fighter that is not aggressively pursuing to advance his position .

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Budo Taijutsu, Boxing,Lars Wallin BJJ, Machado Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kung Fu San Soo, Lima Lama, Taekwondo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great and brutal sport, very entertaining. The fact is that training for UFC is just that, training for UFC. It is not training for real life, it is training for a competition, to win. These are tough guys with a great desire to fight and prove themselves. Are they to most skilled? Probably not. Are they tough as nails? Yes. Most of the time being really tough and having some good training goes along way. Mastering of MA's is altogether a different story. I wouldn't fight a MMA fighter if I didn't have to. They are pretty tough and if I have to fight one of these guys on the street I'd have to resort to level of brutality rarely seen in competition.

I think people should realize that Combat and Competition are two different things altogether and to thank competitive fighters for waking up alot of TMAers to stop dancing and learn to fight.

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

ravenzoom
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treebranch wrote:

Quote:
and to thank competitive fighters for waking up alot of TMAers to stop dancing and learn to fight.

You're right, many were just ballet dancing across the dojo.

baronbvp
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Muay Thai, boxing, JKD/MMA, Shorin Ryu, military combat arts, fencing, archery

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a well-made point that supports another view some have: time spent practicing fighting is better than time spent doing kata. I like both.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

ovine king
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: noodle fu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with the sentiment but i don't to agree with the specifics.

if you want to be capable of fighting in the streets then training how to fight is the best way to go.
it doesn't have to be a modern mma style.

better people than me have said that your abilities in real situations is based on HOW you train, not WHAT you train.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10
Jump to: