Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Muaythaiboxer
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: teakwondo judo muaythai boxing wresling kung-fu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good street fighters win bad ones lose.

AngryMatt
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Budo Taijutsu, BJJ, Freestyle wrestling

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good street fighters don't get into fights.

"Men don't start fights, but they do finish them."

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Budo Taijutsu, Boxing,Lars Wallin BJJ, Machado Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kung Fu San Soo, Lima Lama, Taekwondo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Str33tGuy, to my understanding MMA's are mainly people who mix Sport MA's, they rarely mixed TMA's with SMA's. I think that's the common consensus since the term MMA came from UFC. Look at my MA experience, I've studied various MA's but I don't study them to mix them, each has it's good and bad. I take what's good about them and put the Taijutsu into them to make them more effective.

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

STR33T GUY
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Boxing, Muay Thai, Wrestling, Jujitsu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m not into arguing semantics so I’ll tell you what I do and you can call it anything you want.

My striking is based on boxing with elements of MT added and some modifications by me to make it more street worthy.

My grappling is a blend of free style wrestling, Jujitsu, some BJJ and a little GR wrestling.

I’ve taken a year of TKD but haven’t bothered to retain any part of it.

If you can’t sprawl and brawl, you can’t street fight.

baronbvp
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Muay Thai, boxing, JKD/MMA, Shorin Ryu, military combat arts, fencing, archery

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds about like me. My striking is predominantly boxing and kickboxing, mostly self-taught and one-on-one with various people throughout my life. My grappling is a blend of the wrestling I learned in high school, freestyle ground grappling from sparring with friends over the years, and some judo and BJJ moves. I have also taken some other things like kung fu, MT, and TKD but don't retain much of it, at least not consciusly. Over the last 20 years I have focused the overall effort into military combat survival in hostile territory. I haven't been in many street fights -- maybe 5 -- particularly since I got older. I have been weight training for the past 15 years.

Now I am taking Shorin-Ryu and trying to focus on its art and functionality but learn the kata. However, I can't resist adapting some of it to my own style. My renshi and I are also doing some one-on-one Splashing Hands, which I guess is a new kind of street kung fu derivative.

Does that make me a MMA? I have no idea. Maybe this is a good topic for a new thread.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

Last edited by baronbvp on Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Mr Pockets
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: striking and grappling

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just going to repost what I posted before but it was removed, with the bad word removed:

I see a lot of points in here I like and even more I dislike. First of all, technically speaking, boxing is a martial art. It's just not a "martial art" like you traditionally think of them. In a way, you are right in saying that many UFCers do not really care about "martial arts," they just care about fighting. But that brings up another point: martial arts, I thought, was supposed to be about fighting. Throw in whatever other philosophy or spiritual nonsense you want, actual fighting used to be a goal. What the UFCers have done is something remarkable- theyve allowed martial arts to evolve in order to come up with somethign that works effectively. Do UFCers train to fight in the streets? Of course not! Could they beat someone down on the street? You bet. If you want to be capable of fighting on the streets, training in so called "MMA" is the best way to go. It isnt a big stretch from getting someone to tap out to breaking their bones or choking them unconcious. Nor is it a big step from kicking a leg to a knee, a groin, punching a throat or simply putting your thumb in someones eye or ripping their ear off their head. All in all, the UFC, Pride, all those things are competition BASED on real life fighting. "As real as it gets..." with sanctioned rules that is. A reflection of reality it isn't, but it's a great approximation.

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Budo Taijutsu, Boxing,Lars Wallin BJJ, Machado Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kung Fu San Soo, Lima Lama, Taekwondo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Pockets it's O.K. to admit you don't know everything, I admit I don't. You are only going to judge things based on your limited knowledge of them, and so does everyone else. You are not right and neither am I. You can only do what feels right for you. If you are going to compete than you are on the right track. I'm not going to compete and have no desire to, but I would love to sparr with someone like you. I've had plenty of streetfights and I've sparred in a ring in Lima Lama, it would be fun. I'm about learning and improving my own skills. I'm not trying to prove anything to anyone but myself. I only lost one streetfight and that's because they broke it up right when I was gettting the mount. So TMAers have streetfights too you know, we are not all wimps.

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

SevenStar
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: bjj, judo, shuai chiao, muay thai

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Pockets wrote:
I'm just going to repost what I posted before but it was removed, with the bad word removed:

I see a lot of points in here I like and even more I dislike. First of all, technically speaking, boxing is a martial art. It's just not a "martial art" like you traditionally think of them. In a way, you are right in saying that many UFCers do not really care about "martial arts," they just care about fighting. But that brings up another point: martial arts, I thought, was supposed to be about fighting. Throw in whatever other philosophy or spiritual nonsense you want, actual fighting used to be a goal. What the UFCers have done is something remarkable- theyve allowed martial arts to evolve in order to come up with somethign that works effectively. Do UFCers train to fight in the streets? Of course not! Could they beat someone down on the street? You bet. If you want to be capable of fighting on the streets, training in so called "MMA" is the best way to go. It isnt a big stretch from getting someone to tap out to breaking their bones or choking them unconcious. Nor is it a big step from kicking a leg to a knee, a groin, punching a throat or simply putting your thumb in someones eye or ripping their ear off their head. All in all, the UFC, Pride, all those things are competition BASED on real life fighting. "As real as it gets..." with sanctioned rules that is. A reflection of reality it isn't, but it's a great approximation.

good post.

SevenStar
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: bjj, judo, shuai chiao, muay thai

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treebranch wrote:
I'm not going to compete and have no desire to, but I would love to sparr with someone like you. I've had plenty of streetfights and I've sparred in a ring in Lima Lama, it would be fun. I'm about learning and improving my own skills. I'm not trying to prove anything to anyone but myself. I only lost one streetfight and that's because they broke it up right when I was gettting the mount. So TMAers have streetfights too you know, we are not all wimps.

it's not abot wimps and proving points - we compete because we like to compete. Have you ever beaten the game "street fighter II" with Ryu? his ending says it all: "ceremony means nothing to him - the fight is everything" - that is the proper spirit for this.

as far as wimps, it's not that anyone is saying that TMA don't have fights. From an experience standpoint, the avg sport fighter has more relative experience with fighting because he's likely had more fights, as he has more opportunity - you are avoiding fights, he is looking for them.

dtstiachi
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Tai Chi, Kotana Karate, Bagua

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many here have competed in UFC?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10
Jump to: