Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Budo Taijutsu, Boxing,Lars Wallin BJJ, Machado Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kung Fu San Soo, Lima Lama, Taekwondo

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who said we don't do randori? But yes I agree with you.

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

TheArtofDave
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Pasaryu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:28 am    Post subject: UFC... Reply with quote

Another thing is UFC is about conditioning. Learning how to gain, and cut weight without it doing damage to you. Unless you decide to stay in a particular weight division.

Also in combat situations, or possible combat situations it depends largely on how your train should you ever be presented with one.

A lot of UFC fighters had MA backgrounds, Mir, Serra, Liddel, Hughes, Machida all of the UFC fighters have a martial arts background, or most do in TMA's but it's still a sport. It has been toned down so it can be regulated.

It still shows you the effective techniques you can use in a fight. And it also shows you the techniques of MA's in the real world.

In UFC you have tape, to break your opponent down, and you can find a strategy that will take the other fighter out of the fight. But in combat you're only strategy is not to fight. Unless you're put in a situation in which you cannot avoid, and fighting is the only option.

Intelligent fighters avoid combat. And the ones that do have to use it only use enough to end it quick.

I've got a friend who tried out for the UFC. He was on the lower tier of the UFC. He said he made it in 3rd place in the competition. But it wasn't enough to get him into the national spot light.

But good luck on your training.

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyle-san wrote:
Severe Matburn wrote:
Its their own fault fer not competing...if they don't, oh well, dun complain about it. Enjoy seeing other styles fight...i always loved the whole style vs. style thing tho, i think its great

I'm not "complaining" about it, I'm just pointing out that there are some styles out there that could completely decimate and of these UFC styles that are constantly being praised. I'd love to see anyone from BJJ take on a decent Aiki JuJitsu practitioner.

With respect...I'm a Nidan in Daito Ryu. I'm a purple belt in BJJ. Empty handed, BJJ wins hands down. Now, AJJ has some weapons stuff, and that's all nice. But I also don't walk the streets with a sword strapped to my side either. Keep in mind also that 12 years ago I wrote my senior paper on why BJJ is ineffective. So I empathize and understand your position as well. There's just no way to understand it until you've trained BJJ.

MMA_Jim
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: BJJ, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Fairn was an Aiki Ju Jitsu fighter- fought in UFC 4 (I believe it was- was either 3 or 4) against a very standup oriented Guy Metzger. Fairn was taken down and mounted by a very green grappler in Metzger and how no idea on how to escape the mount.

Ranpu
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Isshin-Ryu Karate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was thinking of trying for UFC after I get out of the Military, and I'm not even out of school yet so I have alot of time to practice and hone my skills. Anyway, I've been trying to learn a series or martial arts to help for my goal, so far I know karate, I'm going to learn TKD, possibly Judo too, although there is no jiu-jitsu dojo around here for miles, I know that UFC drops the tradition, but in a competition, In my eyes I don't see where tradition would help, I would learn it, because I like to, but it doesn't make much of a difference I guess.

RichardZ
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyle-san wrote:
Severe Matburn wrote:
I'd like to see a Bjjer against an Aiki Jujitsu guy too...i love that name Aiki Jujitsu, it juss sounds cool, lol. What does it involve?

It's a hybrid of a traditional form of Jujutsu (Aki-Jujutsu) that has elements of Kung Fu added in. It has a great balance between striking and grappling, weapons training, ki training and is probably the most "street effective" style I've seen. A solid Green belt can hold his own against most black belts.

But, yeah, it's almost completely unknown.

It (AikiJujuttsu) is not a "hybrid" form of jutsu. And it is not proven to have "kung fu" added in. Aikido, Hapkido, and Kito Ryu (from where Judo came), all came from Aikijujutsu.

RichardZ
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: UFC Reply with quote

Tombstone wrote:
Greetings,

Im currently training to compete in the UFC. I was wondering what a Martial Artists view about the UFC would be. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

It, like anything, is also set by a little luck. It comes down to this...MANY want to be in the UFC, Rockbands, Movie Stars, President of the US, so forth. Hard work is a understatement.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranpu wrote:
Anyway, I've been trying to learn a series or martial arts to help for my goal, so far I know karate, I'm going to learn TKD, possibly Judo too, although there is no jiu-jitsu dojo around here for miles...

You might look into getting with some high school or college Westlers in your area to work on some ground fighting skills. That way, you won't be totally foreign to grappling.

Ranpu
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Isshin-Ryu Karate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Ranpu wrote:
Anyway, I've been trying to learn a series or martial arts to help for my goal, so far I know karate, I'm going to learn TKD, possibly Judo too, although there is no jiu-jitsu dojo around here for miles...

You might look into getting with some high school or college Westlers in your area to work on some ground fighting skills. That way, you won't be totally foreign to grappling.

I was in school wrestling, but I couldn't make the practices, so now I just do some friendly wrestling with my friend who still takes it, he's been in it for 6 years now, but that's as good as I can get to learning it.

dwarf2
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you like to fight i think it is a great ideal .Good conditioning Great skills reflexes the whole thing. And its good to be in shape. Find a good school to help you and go for it . Let us know how it is going from time to time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10
Jump to: