Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Gaming, Movies, TV, and Entertainment
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Iron Arahat
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2001 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulson got punched in the face numerous times with not real retaliation in that fight... I would say he got creamed, or just beaten badly. Needless to say he lost, and didn't look good.

Paulsons record is 9-4-1, and does not have a five year undefeated shooto record (I found this looking for the Shooto rules).

http://sherdog.com/fightfinder/displayfighter.cfm?fighterid=383

I'm waiting to see the Alex Gong fight...I have heard mixed reviews, but have yet to get an account from someone who was there to witness it. I hope it comes out on video and doesn't hit the cutting room floor like all the other "non-event" fights in the past. Although K-1 and Fairtex seem to have a good working relationship, so we may see this fight on the video.

DarkMonkey
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2001 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hum. It would be interesting to hear what you experts think about the innitial fight prospects. Who would win an why? Rather than just the ideas, I'd be quite interested to know what you think

I'd like to observe a fight between Andy Sherry and Frank Brennan. Possibly wouldn't happen but it'd be interesting to see how they compare, hoewver much nicer Cherry is to Brennan the lower dan just seems to be the pinacle of excellence. When you get to that level your dan grading is just for dedication rather than skill. Apparently Frank will only go up to seventh dan when Sherry retires.

Humdiddle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2001 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of his few losses, Erik Paulson is one of the better fighters of the world. Many people don't think he is because he has an american name and doesn't have an accent, but I can look past that. An american can be a great fighter without having asian, brazillian or russian accents.
Alex Gong has lost 2 fights that I know of, I've seen him fight many times and he dominated every fight that I saw. He has one of the most powerful kicks of any martial artist and he's very good with his boxing skills. I'm sure Master Pan would have a hard time getting a KO on either of these two fighters, heck, I think he would be hard pressed to win.

Iron Arahat
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2001 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone is saying Paulson is not good because he is American (or doesn't have an accent). I'm saying:

1) Fact: Paulson does not have a five-year undefeated record.
2) Fact: Paulson is not the top ranked Shooto fighter in his class.
3) Fact: Paulson has only won 60% of his fights.

Iron's opinion on Paulson (supported by the above facts): "Anyone who is a 60% fighter is by no means one of the better fighters in the world."

I think Master Pan would be hard pressed at his age to enter any full contact event; however, if he was Paulson's age I'm sure he could have grabbed a fist full of hair and beaten the 60% fighter Paulson is.

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2001 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fact... Erik Paulson was light-heavyweight Shooto champion of Japan for 5 years.

Iron Arahat
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2001 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quote from http://www.erikpaulson.com "For the last twenty-two years, Erik Paulson has studied the art of grappling. Having gained worldwide fame competing in many pay-per-view, no-holds-barred tournaments, he is now undefeated in Japan where he is the World Light-Heavyweight Shootwrestling Champion"

A flat out false statement. Well maybe the fame part is true...I saw him on pay-per-view being a punching bag for Warring.

Ken stated: "Fact... Erik Paulson was light-heavyweight Shooto champion of Japan for 5 years."

I don't think 11-7-1994 to 8-27-1997 is five years. It's not even three.

I know you are sticking up for him Ken because he trained with Insanto...but face the facts he is a 60% fighter right now...In fact he is only a 50% fighter since Warring.

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2001 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL.. well ok, your facts seem to be different from other facts, but that's ok, Erik is still a world-class fighter regardless. Your Master Po... hardly known. Has your Po guy fought in any MMA, NHB type of events? I would place my bet on Erik before an "Iron Fist" person anyday.

Iron Arahat
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2001 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen Paulson's advertisment, for costly seminars. In WCC he was Jun Fan, now he's greco-roman, machado jujitsu, judo, freestyle, sambo, I'm sure there might be the kitchen sink in there as well.

I think alot of these guys tend to be jacks-of-all-trades, rather than good and effective.

The link to his fight info Paulson has been posted in this thread for all to see.

If I were a betting man I would want to have a better than 60% chance. Even so outside of Shooto he has won a huge 33% of his fights. Impressive.

MuayTB1
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2001 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I'd like to see the iron fist fight alex gong..."

Well, what is the point of the iron fist when it is wraped around with leather and foam?

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2001 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both men have the leather and foam wrapped around their fist, it's equal terms. Also, i thought someone said that the Iron Fist fought in San Shou, don't they wear gloves also? Nto a very good arguement on your side.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Gaming, Movies, TV, and Entertainment All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: