Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pred wrote:
So is the SKKA like a corporation? Meaning there are multiple owners or is there just one owner?

Partnership!!

Before that, the SKKA/Hombu was a Sole Proprietorship!! Soke to Dai-Soke to San Dai-Soke [Before San Dai-Soke was abolished. After that, the term Soke was abolished.]

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would you do??

The SKKA/Hombu, for now, is a ragtag ship, kind of left adrift, with no save haven port in sight. While the ship might be kind of ragtag, it's core is still in tact. However, key positions are left unfilled. If these key positions can be filled by qualified people within the SKKA Network, it's very possible that the ship can be saved from the impending storms forecast.

Needed:

1 Kancho, must possess, as a minimum, a Hachidan as well as a Shogo Title of Hanshi. This position is part of the Executive Team for the SKKA. This position is also the Chief Instructor of the Hombu.

5 Regents, must possess, as a minimum, a Hachidan as well as a minimum Shogo Title of Kyoshi. The Regents are the Administrative Team of the SKKA.

We're, well I mean, I'm stuck in the mud, so to speak. These positions are as they are per how our Soke designed them to be. However, what was doesn't have to be; a new model can be adopted.

*How to restructure those two teams?
*How to restructure those two teams in a different manner?
*How to entice those that are qualified in the SKKA Network to step forward?
*How to choose those that remain in the SKKA with temporary voting authority?
*Is temporary voting authority practical and/or necessary?

If blessed enough to find, interview, and vote as de facto for these positions, all voting authority responsibilities will then immediately reside with the Executive and Administrative Teams, and them alone!!

Hopefully, those here at KF can lend me some advice. After all, none of you have any ties with the SKKA, and that expels any preconceived notions as to any bias involvements. In short...

HELP....any and all suggestions will be seriously entertained!!

Thank you, in advance!!

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would assume the 1 Kancho is essential, but the 5 regents, could you in the short to medium term operate this team with less than 5? 3 for example, is it a question of workload or voting rights for example?
If, something similar happened in an MA organization that I was a part of, and Kaicho delegated all new positions, to my mind I would accept without question! You, that are left to steer the ship, are charged with making the big decisions and will do so with the well being of SKKA paramount in your heart. That is what one would hope, that all members will see and understand. It is an extraordinary situation and sometimes committees are not the best option, until perhaps when the stability returns with time.
In the interim, representatives or a single individual making the decisions is the question. From the little I know based on this forum, you have the mandate to decide as you see fit, and if your charter insists on a certain number of appointments, then this can happen with time.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulltahr wrote:
I would assume the 1 Kancho is essential, but the 5 regents, could you in the short to medium term operate this team with less than 5? 3 for example, is it a question of workload or voting rights for example?
If, something similar happened in an MA organization that I was a part of, and Kaicho delegated all new positions, to my mind I would accept without question! You, that are left to steer the ship, are charged with making the big decisions and will do so with the well being of SKKA paramount in your heart. That is what one would hope, that all members will see and understand. It is an extraordinary situation and sometimes committees are not the best option, until perhaps when the stability returns with time.
In the interim, representatives or a single individual making the decisions is the question. From the little I know based on this forum, you have the mandate to decide as you see fit, and if your charter insists on a certain number of appointments, then this can happen with time.

Solid post!!

The path you're proposing has merits!!

What I need to separate myself from, in order to make a more clearer decision, is to look into the future, and stop living in the past. What our Soke created, and what we amended during a time of betrayal, in our Charter and the like into our current By-Laws, can still be upheld, but not forgotten. Our pass is, and can be the stepping stones done a renewed path that both honors everyone, and not just one, of the few.

We've less than 30 days to rekindle the fire within the SKKA/Hombu, otherwise, closure, as the final solution, even though temporary, will occur, and that ship might not ever sail again.

This is my responsibility! One I've accept wholeheartedly, and without any reservation and/or ambiguity along time ago; one I plan on upholding.

The proposals that you've laid out, Bulltahr, afford me a new avenue to present to our Legal Team, as well as the few key individuals within the SKKA. Not even the Reconstruction company we hired, nor have our Legal Team, nor have anyone else for that fact, and I know for sure, I've not thought of it/them either.

That's my fault, and my fault alone!!

I've steered everyone, in-house as well as those that were out-sourced, to continue the By-Laws and the like as they've been established through all of the proper channels. I DIDN'T WANT TO INVEST INTO ANYTHING ELSE THAT MIGHT APPEAR AS THOUGH I WAS BEING UNFAITHFUL TOWARDS THAT WHICH WE'VE ONLY KNOWN!!

To me, the By-Laws and the like weren't broken, therefore, there's no reason to fix it/them!! However, the deaths of Kancho and the Regents has made vital parts quite broken.

Yet, plausible and viable and fixable!!

Tomorrow, I'll make a conference call to those concerned party within the SKKA and provide them with your proposals with a firm, yet open heart.

Still, the biggest issue I/we face is securing qualified candidates, providing we continue that paths unbridled and unmolested in our intents.

Fingers crossed!!

The Pred
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the Kancho is considered to be the CI. However, if the buck stops with you as the kaicho, couldn't one say that you're technically the de-facto CI?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pred wrote:
So the Kancho is considered to be the CI. However, if the buck stops with you as the kaicho, couldn't one say that you're technically the de-facto CI?

One could, however, it would be incorrect. De Facto...no!! De Jure...yes!!

Our By-Laws, through our SOP are formally endorsed, as well as, how the SKKA ratifies each SOP through its official procedures and gives the standards its stamp of approval.

By title, I'd assume the CI post until a newly elected CI is sworn in. I've both the experience as well as the knowledge to assume the CI post, even if it's only temporary.

The buck stops with Kaicho, but that's the Executive/Administrative portion, and not of the Technical Department. That buck, stops with the Kancho!!

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Bulltahr said. With the utmost respect, I think you're taking the By-Laws too literally, whereas you should be focused on the By-Laws' intent. Yes, the positions need to be filled. But more importantly, they need to be filled by people who are 100% committed to the job and not by people doing it out of obligation or guilt.

People declining to do the job tells me that they're confident in your decision making. It also tells me it's too soon, and they're still grieving.

As far as I can see (from reading your posts for some time now), you're not a dictator type. You put the needs of the organization above all else. Keep that outlook, and everything will eventually fall into place. It'll probably get worse before it gets better, but eventually everything will be as it's supposed to be.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
What Bulltahr said. With the utmost respect, I think you're taking the By-Laws too literally, whereas you should be focused on the By-Laws' intent. Yes, the positions need to be filled. But more importantly, they need to be filled by people who are 100% committed to the job and not by people doing it out of obligation or guilt.

People declining to do the job tells me that they're confident in your decision making. It also tells me it's too soon, and they're still grieving.

As far as I can see (from reading your posts for some time now), you're not a dictator type. You put the needs of the organization above all else. Keep that outlook, and everything will eventually fall into place. It'll probably get worse before it gets better, but eventually everything will be as it's supposed to be.

Sensei8 I am writing this as honestly as possible, but do not wish to cause any disrespect on those lost or to you. As such i shall apologize if I unintentionally cause such disrespect or anything else.

From what I've seen you've discussed your By-Laws here on the forum, there would have been no clause for what has happened. As such Personally I believe that even for the meantime if you cannot find persons that cannot fulfill the requirements due to rank or otherwise you should consider finding people that can undertake the role even if they don't meet such requirements.

Maybe have discussions with the most senior instructors in each region, and discuss with them about shared responsibility and take up additional jobs.

In relation to your Hombu Dojo, it may be beneficial to employ someone in the meantime to take up any responsibilities that aren't running classes; unless they are students of the Shindokan. Yes this may be an expensive operation but may still allow for classes to operate without that added undue stress on you and the legal department.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sensei8,

First my deepest condolences.
My organization has gone thru this similar type of thing twice. Our Soke died in 1999. When this happened the organization was in ruins as our Sensei did not bow down to the new leadership based on ideological disputes. We'll just say he was VERY traditional and the new leadership sought to modernize.
Being a Hachidan and holding the Hanshi teaching license he decided to create his own organization. During this time membership fell to record lows and the only thing left was my Shinshii and a hand full of Mudansha, Yudansha and one Kodansha.
In 2014 he fell ill and decided to move to Okinawa where his wife was born and still had some family left. At the age of 85 he decided to retire. I did not know such a thing could ever happen but it did.
His next in line refused to take the reins. He offered it to his second in line and then finally to all board members. All refused thinking he would just continue but from his home in Okinawa. This was not to pass.
Essentially we spent 8 months fighting amongst each other. No one felt that they were worthy of taking the reins and student membership dropped to an all time low. His first and second in line left and joined another organization and four of our board members left as well, leaving myself and two other instructors as the senior membership. One Rokudan and two Godans.
The membership called me a short time later and asked if I would along with the other two senior members step up and run things until a new board could be established.
It took a year and a half before things got back to normal and the blood letting stopped. We have never elected a new head but his first in line did return to give us a Hachidan that could lend legitimacy to Yudansha and Kodansha promotions. We essentially operate under a board of elected members without a head of organization. We do however have a president (Kaicho). Our second in line returned just 3 months ago and we are starting to see progress in the right direction.

My advice is find at least three senior Dan grades willing to step up and carry on the organization until others will do the same.
I am un-familiar with your style but if it's Okinawan or Japanese in foundation it only take three Kodansha to promote senior ranks. Meaning ranks above Godan. If you are the Kaicho I would imagine you hold at minimum the rank of Hachidan and hold a Hanshi license.
Do what ever it takes to keep things going or you might find out that all is gone before you have a chance to do anything about it.
We dropped membership from 856 to 149 in 8 months. We dropped a further 38 in the year an a half it took to get our act together.
Our problem was none of the membership felt worthy to step up and take the reins. By the time some of us finally stepped up our organization was all but diminished.
There are some organizations that are solely run by one person with two or three subordinates. If you have three or more willing and have at least the rank of Godan, run with it until you convince others to step up. Don't travel the road we did.
Good luck.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
Sensei8,

First my deepest condolences.
My organization has gone thru this similar type of thing twice. Our Soke died in 1999. When this happened the organization was in ruins as our Sensei did not bow down to the new leadership based on ideological disputes. We'll just say he was VERY traditional and the new leadership sought to modernize.
Being a Hachidan and holding the Hanshi teaching license he decided to create his own organization. During this time membership fell to record lows and the only thing left was my Shinshii and a hand full of Mudansha, Yudansha and one Kodansha.
In 2014 he fell ill and decided to move to Okinawa where his wife was born and still had some family left. At the age of 85 he decided to retire. I did not know such a thing could ever happen but it did.
His next in line refused to take the reins. He offered it to his second in line and then finally to all board members. All refused thinking he would just continue but from his home in Okinawa. This was not to pass.
Essentially we spent 8 months fighting amongst each other. No one felt that they were worthy of taking the reins and student membership dropped to an all time low. His first and second in line left and joined another organization and four of our board members left as well, leaving myself and two other instructors as the senior membership. One Rokudan and two Godans.
The membership called me a short time later and asked if I would along with the other two senior members step up and run things until a new board could be established.
It took a year and a half before things got back to normal and the blood letting stopped. We have never elected a new head but his first in line did return to give us a Hachidan that could lend legitimacy to Yudansha and Kodansha promotions. We essentially operate under a board of elected members without a head of organization. We do however have a president (Kaicho). Our second in line returned just 3 months ago and we are starting to see progress in the right direction.

My advice is find at least three senior Dan grades willing to step up and carry on the organization until others will do the same.
I am un-familiar with your style but if it's Okinawan or Japanese in foundation it only take three Kodansha to promote senior ranks. Meaning ranks above Godan. If you are the Kaicho I would imagine you hold at minimum the rank of Hachidan and hold a Hanshi license.
Do what ever it takes to keep things going or you might find out that all is gone before you have a chance to do anything about it.
We dropped membership from 856 to 149 in 8 months. We dropped a further 38 in the year an a half it took to get our act together.
Our problem was none of the membership felt worthy to step up and take the reins. By the time some of us finally stepped up our organization was all but diminished.
There are some organizations that are solely run by one person with two or three subordinates. If you have three or more willing and have at least the rank of Godan, run with it until you convince others to step up. Don't travel the road we did.
Good luck.

Thank you very much, MatsuShinshii!!

Let me say this...WOW...you weren't by any chance hiding somewhere at the SKKA, were you?? You've pretty much explained our situation to the nth degree; kind of spooky, to me.

Shindokan was founded in 1950. SKKA was founded in 1957. Shindokan is Okinawa based; Okinawa-te and Shuri-te based. Both our Soke and Dai-Soke were born and raised in Okinawa, what is now known as Nanjo.

My Shindokan journey began in 1964 in Canoga Park, CA; suburb of the San Fernando Valley, just north of Hollywood, CA. I'm the highest ranking student, directly under our Dai-Soke; I'm in my 52nd year, this October. I'm the current Kaicho of the SKKA. I've a Kudan in Shindokan Saitou-ryu Karate-do, as well as a Hachidan in Shindokan Saitou-ryu Kobudo. My Shogo is Hanshi.

Soke passed away of natural causes when he was 91 in 2008. Dai-Soke passed away after suffering two strokes, just months apart from each other in 2010.

The SKKA/Hombu suffered some back in 2010 when our San Dai-Soke closed the them both, and tried to relocate them back to Okinawa without any notification and the like. Shortly thereafter, San Dai-Soke was expelled, left without any authority whatsoever, and a new SKKA/Hombu was established. That effort, was a shocking revelation, and things were done, like amending our By-Laws, By-Laws penned by our Soke, to secure as well as guarantee a long existence for the SKKA/Hombu. We've one fantastic Legal Team, which isn't associated directly with the SKKA/Hombu.

That closing was an easy one to negotiate because all of the pieces were still intact. Just the San Dai-Soke was missing. In fact, part of our amendments include abolishing any and all Soke types, in the fear of a drastic repeat of history occurring.

Fast forward to now. You, as well as many here, have advised me, and each will be considered wholeheartedly.

Conversations, many conversations, are made everyday with those who are qualified. In that, these many conversations are revisited, and often, in the hopes that the few will reconsider their options, not for the one, but for the many. Our Student Body, network wide, at the time of this tragedy, was just shy of 10K. However, those number, as of now, seem to be standing on very thin ice, and they're just waiting for it to finally break, casting them into the abyss.

Those that are qualified to step forward, cast their concerns, and they speak that their plates, both personal as well as professional, are full; too much for them to consider. I respect that! Each of them, after many, many hours, have spoken that they don't feel worthy to assume a position on the SKKA's Higher Hierarchy, and even more so, they feel that it's way to close since the passing of our Kancho and the Regents, to assume such positions; a mark of honor and loyalty to them.

Time heals all wounds, however, time knows no limits!!

The history's, yours and ours, are quite identical, yet, in ways, they're not. Albeit, I'll hold your proposal close to my heart, in that, I'll consider it, and bring it to our Legal Team as well as those remaining executives, for a possible solution(s), as I will for everyone here that's offered their valuable proposals.

Soon the SKKA/Hombu will shut down, for an undetermined time, and what I fear is that after some time, the entire student body might not want to return to a ship that's sank, and let them down, twice. A ship without a port or a dock to call its own!! I'm afraid that a new governing body might emerge, and the SKKA will be no more. In which, I will have failed them all in more ways than I can ever think about.

As Kaicho, the Student Body of the SKKA comes before ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING!! As I've said before, I don't need to be Kaicho or anything, and I'd step down in a quick seconds if it'll benefit the Student Body of the SKKA. I will fight for them to the nth degree!! Yet, I know change is inevitable, and I embrace change for the sake of the SKKA's Student Body!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: