Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

yfconan
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:04 am    Post subject: Unfriendly sempais in the dojo Reply with quote

I am learning shotokan karate as a beginner in a dojo in London and I find the sempais there are not friendly. For example, the black belts deliberately ignore me during the kumite, making me standing alone there. If someone comes to stand opposite me, they start to laugh at him/her. The sensei is an excellent Japanese karate master, but I really dislike the atmosphere in the dojo. How could I deal with it?

Last edited by yfconan on Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:51 am; edited 2 times in total

shortyafter
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kyokushinkai, Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, unless there's some backstory I'm missing here, this one seems to be real simple: find a new dojo. Karate is challenging but it is never abusive or humiliating.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, welcome to the forum!

And I agree with Shorty... Something sounds off.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

100% agree with Shorty. Karate is awesome, but not worth being treated poorly to learn. Find another place that treats their students better. We may forget it sometimes, but you're a paying customer. You have a right to get good service.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to KF, yfconan; glad that you're here!!

Speak first with the CI immediately to express your concerns, but do it professionally. If after you speak with the CI, and you're not satisfied with what the CI's answers, then, seek out for another dojo.

IF you're satisfied with the CI's answers, then train hard. However, monitor those Sempai's to see if they retaliate against you in any way, then immediately bring it to the attention of the CI.

You don't have to put up with anything from anyone ever!!

Last edited by sensei8 on Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

yfconan
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shortyafter wrote:
OK, unless there's some backstory I'm missing here, this one seems to be real simple: find a new dojo. Karate is challenging but it is never abusive or humiliating.

Thank you very much! The only backstory is that I am a foreigner. I will think about another dojo.

shortyafter
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kyokushinkai, Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yfconan wrote:
shortyafter wrote:

Thank you very much! The only backstory is that I am a foreigner. I will think about another dojo.

I am a foreigner, too, and at my current dojo people treat me with care and respect. I feel at home here. Funnily enough, at my dojo back home the feeling was the opposite. So don't worry about these guys... it has nothing to do with you being a foreigner, and everything to do with them being jerks.

Talking to your chief instructor as sensei8 mentioned is an option. However, if you get a bad vibe all around and don't really have much attachment to these guys, I'd just get out while you're ahead. That's my 2 cents.

Take care and welcome to the forum.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to KF.

You need to address this with the head instructor. State the facts as you see them and if brushed aside or dismissed then you have your answer and know that this comes from the top down. If not he will address his BB's and correct the issue.

There is never a reason for senpai to abuse (verbally, mentally or physically) Kohai.

However if the head instructor is Japanese you may find this is acceptable to him/her. I studied under a Japanese Sensei when I was younger and this was very much common place behavior. Students were very much treated like dogs by the senior students.

If you find this is the case, find another school. Time is too short to waste it trying to learn from those that will not teach or hold back until you've reached some benchmark of acceptance.

That and there are too many fine schools and teachers out there to waste time in an atmosphere like this.

yfconan
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Welcome to KF, yfconan; glad that you're here!!

Speak first with the CI immediately to express your concerns, but do it professionally. If after you speak with the CI, and you're not satisfied with what the CI's answers, then, seek out for another dojo.

IF you're satisfied with the CI's answers, then train hard. However, monitor those Sempai's to see if they retaliate against you in any way, then immediately bring it to the attention of the CI.

You don't have to put up with anything from anyone ever!!

Thank you so much!

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Tang soo do

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've trained several styles at several clubs. I've heard of clubs like you describe but never experienced it. Everywhere I've been, there's been a culture of respect and mutual support.

If I found myself in the environment you describe, I'd just leave and train in one of the many other better clubs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: