Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Tong Zuo Fa
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido, Tong Zuo Fa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Unofficial Tournament Reply with quote

I'm unsure about a few things . I want to have a small martial arts tournament , maybe 8 or so people, just for fun. The thing is, I'm not an instructor, and the only place I can do it is outdoors (which I would prefer anyway), and I would like it to be full-contact (only headgear, for safety). I looked in my city code, and the only law about it I could find was Rioting, stating something like: any group of 4 or more people participating in an unruly act, whether it may seem otherwise legal or not, is guilty of rioting... Anyway, I don't think it would be considered assault, but if any passer-by saw us, they might interpret it that way and call the cops. The main things are, it would be organised by minors, unofficial, and full-contact, so I'm afraid we could get in some trouble. Does anyone know if this would be breaking any laws or not? I'm in Ohio, if it helps.

Last edited by Tong Zuo Fa on Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:52 pm; edited 2 times in total

GhostlySykanRyu
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Using no way as way, having no limitation as limitation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't sound like the best idea...if you're going to go through with it, I suggest running it in a private place.

pressureguy
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kindai No Karate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like a very bad idea.

If you want to go full contact, you need more than just headgear. You need some type of padded gloves and padded footgear.
Also, you stated that you are not an instructor. How much training do you have? Do you know CPR and basic first aid, which you need to know if you are going to be running a full contact match.

If it is only going to be about 8 people, why not hold it in your backyard?
But if you are going to hold it in your backyard, you need to check your homeowner's insurance to see what they cover.

The most important thing it the first aid though. If someone takes a blow to the nose (which headgear does not cover) will you know how to handle a broken nose with blood everywhere?

pressureguy

1kickKO
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, it doesn't sound too good...How old are ya exactly?

Tong Zuo Fa
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido, Tong Zuo Fa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pressureguy wrote:
It sounds like a very bad idea.

If you want to go full contact, you need more than just headgear. You need some type of padded gloves and padded footgear.
Also, you stated that you are not an instructor. How much training do you have? Do you know CPR and basic first aid, which you need to know if you are going to be running a full contact match.

There are going to be some rules, I don't think it will be intense enough to need CPR, but I do know it, as well as quite a bit of first aid, I'm not even sure yet how I'm going to distinguish a winner, whether I'll count points like a regular tournament or think of something different. Thinking over it, I probably will use foot and hand pads, at least one or the other.

Quote:
If it is only going to be about 8 people, why not hold it in your backyard?
But if you are going to hold it in your backyard, you need to check your homeowner's insurance to see what they cover.

I thought about that, and I do have a good-sized yard for it, but I'm on a corner and wouldn't get much privacy, but it would be better if I were on my own property.

Quote:
The most important thing it the first aid though. If someone takes a blow to the nose (which headgear does not cover) will you know how to handle a broken nose with blood everywhere?

It all depends on what rules I set up, the more feedback I'm getting, the more I'm reverting to a safer setup. Even though some headgear covers the face, you're right, most types don't, but I may just instate no strikes to the face (of course, accidents can happen). I may have been getting in over my head with my original ideas, but I think if I think it over a few times and keep it safe, things should be okay.

pressureguy
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kindai No Karate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many tournaments have you competed in? Have you ever been an official at one?
Also, what does your instructor think of this?

pg

Chado
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Okinawan Goju-Ryu, Torite-Jutsu, Kendo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pressureguy wrote:
How many tournaments have you competed in? Have you ever been an official at one?
Also, what does your instructor think of this?

pg

I'm kind of wondering the same thing.

In your profile you have 3 styles listed...but you stated you are a minor...so how long have you been training for and do you compete regularly? Why do you want to have an official tournament...can't you find one someone else is holding? Around here there are plenty of tournaments of different calibers all year long except between end of nov. and begining of march (maybe the odd one but its pretty dead because of the weather I think lol).

Anyway you avoided the age question someone else posted...so I'm just wondering (no offence) but is this just a bunch of kids looking to wack each other?

:?

krzychicano
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: KSW

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't do it your just asking for trouble.

Ben Martin
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ i agree when i was younger me and my mates used to do backyard wrestling and 1 fight we took through the house and out to the street it was all fake but it looks real and my nose got busted open during the fight some 1 called the police and we had 2 stop half way throughand they thought we were really fighting coz i had blood running from the side of my nose. stupid i know but what im getting at is the its almost 100% likely that some1 will call the police and you guys will get stopped. if you are doing full contact you should always have a doctor on had like they always do at full contact fights. people have died in the ring before you know. personally i think this is a really stupid idea. my mates whanted to do the same thing but when they thought about it propperly they realised that someone could get really hurt and its not work the risk. just my 2 pence.

Peace

I would love it if everyone i spoke to or met throughout my life would benefit from being with or speaking to me. - Life goal

I See The Sunshine But Their's A Storm Holding Me Back.

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting together with your friends and training or having light sparring bouts is good, but you need to make sure that you know what you're doing. If you are all minors then make sure that there's at least one adult there. Also, I'd suggest that you let your instructor know what you're planning - he may offer to supervise.
It might be wise to lighten up on the contact, make sure that you all wear sparring gear and that there's a competent adult with a first aid kit on standby.

Sheffield Steelers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: