Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Do you think that firearms instruction should be part of combat martial arts training?
Yes (if yes why)
86%
 86%  [ 25 ]
No (if no why not)
13%
 13%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 29

lordtariel
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: (Past)Judo, Yang Family Tai Chi, (Current)Shito-Ryu Karate, Kobudo(Tonfajitsu)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karateone wrote:
where i am from 9 out of 10 people own and shoot guns on a regular basis either for hunting, competition, of just fun. guns are a part of everyday life in a small town. i own five myself. teaching defense against guns is a must. although crime rate is very low here the gun rate is alot.

Funny you should mention that. I just read an interesting article about 90 out of every 100 Americans owning guns.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=3533675

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I would not have guessed it was that high! Very cool to know, though. Good article.

NightOwl
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Working on Judo and BJJ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karateone wrote:
where i am from 9 out of 10 people own and shoot guns on a regular basis either for hunting, competition, of just fun. guns are a part of everyday life in a small town. i own five myself. teaching defense against guns is a must. although crime rate is very low here the gun rate is alot.

Heh, that's the interesting thing- in cities with the highest gun ownership the crime rate tends to be the lowest. Reverse trends can be seen to such as crime in Britain after their gun ban.

~Theodore Roosevelt

ElShaft
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shoto-Budo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Scotland there are very few instances of gun crime although you never know whats going to happen and must prepare for every possible situation

Kuma
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not required in my chosen art, but I think anyone who seriously considers themselves studying self defense needs to know how to use them effectively.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's required for a black belt in my primary art. Basic care and use of both a revolver and automatic handgun. This is in addition to defenses and such.

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't teach people how to shoot in my class (most know already) but we spend time monthly learning disarms and control against opponents that are holding a gun on you. I have an old .22 cal revolver that we use. One person holds the weapon (verified by all in the class that it is unloaded) on another and we practice techniques for gaining control and disarming.

The very first, and most important lesson I teach in that respect is... "If someone points a gun at you and says "Give me your wallet/purse ..."...GIVE THEM YOUR WALLET AND PURSE! No amount of money that you have in your wallet/purse is worth dying for, so give it to them as nicely and slowly as you can. Heck, write them a check if you have to!

Disarming techniques are used ONLY if, and when, you feel your life is in danger regardless of what you do to comply with your assailant.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

tufrthanu
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: American Tae Kwon Do, Sin Moo HKD, WHF HKD, Song Moo Kwan TKD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that use of various types of blades and firearms would be a good part of a self defense class. They do count as being martial in nature and knowing how to use one whether you are defending your home or using one that you have taken away from an assailant is important. I do feel however that many schools including the one I belong to teach some unrealistic gun defenses.

I was trained by a guy that teaches police officers how to use their guns and so I have a fairly good idea of how to properly fire a hand gun. When I hold the gun it is in my right hand with my left hand cupping it. This means that most of the techniques that have a single handed assailant or that rely on batting the gun out of their hand probably wouldn't work as it will be well controlled and between both of my palms.

Another issue that is rarely brought up in gun defense is that of distance. Many of my friends and I laugh about this in the movies. The bad guy holds the gun right up to the good guys temple or whatever and the good guy then swings around and takes it away. This leaves out the most important facet of a firearm and that is that the bullets actually leave the barrel. You don't have to shove it through someones flesh to make it effective. What this means is that an assailant with a firearm may not need to stand right next to you to be able to threaten and/or kill you with their gun. I very rarely see self defense for a gun where the victim has to cover 10/15 ft before effecting the disarm.

Now these two items may not be that big of an issue if you are dealing with the local moron who just wants to rob the liquor store down the street but if you are dealing with a terrorist or experienced killer who may have been trained by a military or police expert or something along those lines it changes the whole dynamic.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points, tufrthanu. Although I have done some work, it has been at close range, what we call "slap leather" or "Rambo" drills. We usually do them with rubber band guns, which adds a touch of realism to the scenario.

tufrthanu
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: American Tae Kwon Do, Sin Moo HKD, WHF HKD, Song Moo Kwan TKD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you do as part of your rambo drills?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: