Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

XtremeTrainer
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So in many of the posts in this thread people have talked about muscle memory and reacting spontaneously without thinking about it if you are in a self defense situation. So in terms of using martial arts in the street or in self defense you could say, "You do but you don't" and that's what it means.

mirkoinbrazil
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can plainly see whats going on and what he is about to throw at you, or tries a common street grab, then you can unleash whatever you need to stop the threat, but if it leads to a full hands on brawl, it will probably be wild scrambling and most of your training has gone out the window. i dont count on this aggressor to throw a pretty karate style punch that will land on its intended target, what he will throw will be so sloppy that his punch to the nose will probably hit your throat. And he probably has a buddy coming up behind you. I think its good to practice at least your punching in funny positions, such as getting your bob bag in a head lock and punching his head, or hitting a heavy bag while its on the ground, etc.
At least you will probably be better at punching in general from any position than a normal person. There is no telling how you will actually be standing or sitting when you get attacked. I think you be able to counter instinctively at least starting out, but dont count on being able to square off in your fighting stance like in the movies.

Fat Cobra
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like what mirkoinbrazil is saying. I call this the difference between "fighting" and "self-defense." In my view, "fighting" is when you square off with someone. IMO, this occurs mainly when you meet after school to fight someone in the parking lot...or when you are in the cage for a competition. "Self-defense," alternatively, is when you are attacked on the street, in public, at the pub, wherever, when you don't have time to square off and you are--possibly--defending your life.

I believe you should train for both situations, but in the latter, your goal is to a) avoid the situation altogether by constantly being aware of your surroundings and keeping a level head to try to diffuse bad situations, b) get away if possible, and c) end the situation as quickly and efficiently as possible if it comes to violence (which means using everything in your arsenal--weapons, dirty fighting, etc.).

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Self defence depends on awareness and out thinking those that could or may cause you bodily harm.

Violence is the ultimate last resort to use, as if you use it against those that out number and out power you, this is when violence begets violence and justification towards hurting you becomes something past a point of no return.

As there is no turning back, as once you have lashed out at them, this is when things will turns ugly for you.

As they are in waiting for you to pick an option whilst intimidating you, such as for you to run or to put up a fight, being calm but un- noticeably ready for anything, will lull them, to losing interest in you.

As similar to yawning they will become bored with you, which is what you want, but if on the other hand you become hysterical and jump about in a way that excites them and then you bencome entertainment and interesting for them, which will prompt them to sort you out physically together as a group.

The element of surprise, some times, could be to do nothing at all, as it can be for some, to be very unnerving and intimidating in its self, as you are now confident and unpredictable to them.

Drag out the situation without violence, as there are those that are looking for the slightest excuse to fight, so don't give them what they want instead starve them of violence and they will go elsewhere looking for it.

Revenge is something to consider also, as it might carry over to escalating in to bigger problems for you and others you care about.

Yes you know how to fight but knowing when it is to your advantage takes some serious thought.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fighting and self-defense differ in many aspects, but one of the main differences is the goal. The aim of fighting is to beat the opponent as in competition or kill the enemy as in combat. In either case, one tries to “win”. In self-defense, however the goal is not to “win”, “submit” or otherwise defeat the attacker. Self-defense is about to self preservation and escape from danger with minimal injuries to oneself.

Erica_Joel
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it may seem obvious to most of you, but Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) is one of the most beneficial things you can do for self defense. Not only is MMA good for self defense, but it’s also great for fitness, confidence, physical health, and even mental health. I understand how beneficial MMA can be first hand as I’ve personally trained all forms of MMA, Muay Thai, and Jiu Jitsu.
Of course every situation is different, MMA fighters perform in a cage while real life self defense situations can happen anywhere and don’t involve a referee. This is why many self defense experts advocate against MMA for self defense, they claim real life situations can’t be applied to MMA training. However I disagree, MMA has many useful techniques that are great for self defense. Boxing and Muay Thai are both great for stand up techniques, while martial arts such as Brazilian Jiu Jitsu are great for mastering grappling and submission techniques.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: