Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

XtremeTrainer
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Using Pretend Stories To Make Real Points Reply with quote

Particularly with children all too often we like to use pretend stories to make real points. An example would be the story of the Tortoise and the Hare. Perhaps it would be more accurate to call the story part pretend and part real. The part about a tortoise and a hare running a race, that part is obviously pretend but the lessons that the story teaches, that slow and steady win the race, that you should pace yourself, and that just because you're ahead doesn't mean you should get comfortable and take breaks, those are real lessons. So the point Im trying to make is just because a story is partially pretend doesn't mean it isn't also partially real.

Now, what might this have to do with martial arts? Well I know some examples of fictional martial arts stories that make real points. I would like to mention some of these stories but in doing so I don't want them to be dismissed as pretend stories and that therefore there is nothing real that can be learned from them.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Share them with us.

I love parables.

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Tang soo do

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rabbit that knows one way to escape the fox, escaped.

The rabbit that knew a hundred ways to escape the fox got eaten while deciding which method to use.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it!

Give us some more.

XtremeTrainer
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im thinking of the Karate Kid movies. They're fictional stories but they do make some real points. For instance it makes the point about balance being a lesson of life that goes beyond just physical balance, also, Karate is in the head and the heart, not in the belt, and in the third movie it points out that Karate comes from inside the student. The instructor provides the roots which are a necessity but the development of the art happens in the student and eventually the student will develop it his own way and do it his own way.

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Tang soo do

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XtremeTrainer wrote:
Im thinking of the Karate Kid movies. They're fictional stories but they do make some real points. For instance it makes the point about balance being a lesson of life that goes beyond just physical balance, also, Karate is in the head and the heart, not in the belt, and in the third movie it points out that Karate comes from inside the student. The instructor provides the roots which are a necessity but the development of the art happens in the student and eventually the student will develop it his own way and do it his own way.

And...

If you walk on one side of the road, chances are you will be OK. If you walk on the other side of the road, you will be OK. But if you walk in the middle of the road, sooner or later you'll be squished like a grape. - Mr Miyagi

I've always taken that to mean, if you're going to bother with martial arts or anything in life, do it properly, otherwise those that do do it properly will always beat you.

XtremeTrainer
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneKickWonder wrote:
And...

If you walk on one side of the road, chances are you will be OK. If you walk on the other side of the road, you will be OK. But if you walk in the middle of the road, sooner or later you'll be squished like a grape. - Mr Miyagi

I've always taken that to mean, if you're going to bother with martial arts or anything in life, do it properly, otherwise those that do do it properly will always beat you.

Yes I've though of that too. The book expands on it a bit more. In the book Mr. Miyagi says something along the lines of, "either do Karate yes or Karate no. If you do Karate guess so you get squashed like a grape." So it makes sense to do things properly or not to do them at all. So if you're say, sparring in Karate, you can either throw a technique or you can not throw a technique but if you sort of throw a technique, if you throw it half heartedly, you will be squashed like a grape.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you squash enough grapes, you can make some wine...!

XtremeTrainer
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Well, if you squash enough grapes, you can make some wine...!

Not if you're the grapes being squashed.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate thieves and liars; no use for either!! Pretend stories, to me, is lying; not interested, and their credibility is lost forever!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: