Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think its a male/female question, really. The idea of mechanics really just refers to the moving parts of an apparatus. Our bodies are the apparatus, and how we move is the mechanics. Feet on the ground, hips, shoulders, etc. All part of the "power train," I guess you could say.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
I don't think its a male/female question, really. The idea of mechanics really just refers to the moving parts of an apparatus. Our bodies are the apparatus, and how we move is the mechanics. Feet on the ground, hips, shoulders, etc. All part of the "power train," I guess you could say.
As a martial artist, I am more than my moving parts.

The (male) predictabilities of the mechanically inclined martial artist loses out on the adaptability qualitys of (female) spontaneity and unpredictable surprise maneuvering.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
As a martial artist, I am more than my moving parts.

The (male) predictabilities of the mechanically inclined martial artist loses out on the adaptability qualitys of (female) spontaneity and unpredictable surprise maneuvering.
The conversation appears to be changing directions. But, that's great.

I don't think you've accurately described a difference between males and females. Nor do I think the idea of using the term "mechanics" to define how the actions of Martial Arts techniques takes place lends itself to male or female. It just "is."

Lowkickr
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Judo, Kyokushin, Kenpo, Wing Chun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based only on my experiences, mechanical inclination, adaptability, and spontaneity are not gender specific.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely fine to use mechanical or engineering terminology to describe martial arts. As they are a small part of the bigger picture of Yin/Yang.

Using the right tool for the job is not art, ask any artist. Art is about expressions not mechanical paint by numbers.

Any brute can fight, that doesn't make him a martial artist, just because his favorite tool is a hammer fist.

Tempest
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Judo, HEMA

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Any brute can fight, that doesn't make him a martial artist, just because his favorite tool is a hammer fist.

It doesn't? Where do you draw the line as to who is a martial artist?

Peter Seisenbacher competed at the olympics 3 times and won 2 gold medals, back to back in '84 and '88. He also won a world title, and a european title and is now a very successful coach and generally has had a successful life in the martial
That being said, he basically did 1 throw most of the time in competition.
He had his hammer, and it worked for him. If someone has a tool, is able to use it in a variety of circumstances, and is successful, who are we to say that they are not a martial artist?

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the group that agrees it's an apt analogy. But at the end of the day it's only an analogy, practice is what defines the application of tools.

As for the analogy, I can't agree more with it on so many levels. If a weapons doesn't match a target, then there is a better "tool" to drive efficiency. If an attack doesn't match a rule set for competition not only is it illegal, it's a poor choice of a tool. If a level of use of force doesn't match the threat, you're using the wrong tool at a strategic level.

So yes, it's a good analogy on many levels. Musashi wrote that from one thing understand many. Speaking specifically to the art of strategy in relation to running the sword. It's no different here, the same concept can make sure your strike is as effective as it can be and make you understand that your force selection can be correct or land you in jail.

Just because an analogy does not date back to the Edo period does not make it ineffectual or accurate.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tools; for some, when they have a hammer in their hand everything looks like a nail.

A reverse punch is like a hammer for many martial artists and the opponent looks like a nail.

Which tool is used to fight without fighting? Is the answer, using the brain?

Some martial artists equate a Dojo as a garage; why?

Using the right tool for the job. This Is a very rudimentary way of looking at things.

The reverse punch is a very handy tool for the mechanical martial artists, why? because it is very handy against likewise individuals.

Handyman martial arts is very handy because it doesn't take much thought and is always close at hand. This is why Jackie Chan played the part of a handyman in a "Karate Kid" movie. Ironically he was not teaching Karate! The movie was playing up to the toolman mentality, which is easier to sell as a karate movie, that was actually a kung fu, flick.

Jackie Chan was showing the boy the essence of martial arts with the Yin/Yang fish and not his handyman toolbox.

Isn't karate "The art of the empty hand" or should it be changed to "The art of using a tool"

Funny for me to notice that a mechanic can never have enough tools. Also to solve a problem the answer is to go out and buy another tool. Japanese can build without nails, a lesson for many to learn how.

Tools are only as good as the person holding them.

Last edited by Alan Armstrong on Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Using the right tool for the job is not art, ask any artist. Art is about expressions not mechanical paint by numbers.

Artists use the right tool for the job. Type of paint (water, oil, acrylic, etc.), type of brush (size, shape, material), and medium (paper, canvas, wood) are all tools of the trade. Artists, particularly great artists, use the right tools for the job. The tool may be completely unexpected and non-traditional, but that doesn't make it not a tool nor the wrong tool.

Sculptors use tools. Photographers use tools. The analogy still holds with artists - use the best tool to get the job done (getting the job done doesn't mean as quickly and as easily as possible).

Since you're referencing art and artists, I'm reminded of a phrase that's said quite a bit in photography - learn the rules of photography, get good at using them, then learn how to break them.

Your definition of tools is a bit too simplistic IMO. The most important tool a martial artist can ever use is his/her mind.

But now I'm drifting.

I do however wholeheartedly agree with a statement in your last post - tools are only as good as the person holding them.

The person holding the tools has to know which one to use, when to use it, and how to use it. Using one's brain and walking away without resorting to physical violence is a great tool to have. We all have it, but sometimes we forget when to use that tool and how to use it.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tools can be over rated. Some people need the latest and greatest tool to compensate for their inadequacys.

Many times the answer to a situation is not to block with a tool, but rather to avoid it or flow around it, or even be too close, to stop it before it has any momentum.

Slipping punches, ducking and bobbing are not tools. Deflecting kicks by moving directly in to an opponent is more efficient and better than trying to use a tool/technique.

Battling with am opponent at full speed, to pick and choose which tool/technique to use is not practical. There is no time to pick or chose a tool to fit the situation, because for me personally, all of my weapons are aiming straight at the opponent, hair triggered for instant effectiveness.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: