Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137; of course artists use tools, but tools don't make them artist, skillfulness and imaginative problem solving combined with finesse and artistry, creativity and originality are just a few examples. Bruce Lee is an artist; he could have easily chosen to be a xerox copy of Ip Man.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But without the appropriate tools, than that individual is quite incomplete; tools are a necessity of the art, whatever that art might me.

Imho!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
But without the appropriate tools, than that individual is quite incomplete; tools are a necessity of the art, whatever that art might me.

Imho!

Performance artists don't need tools.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes, we think too hard about something. A simple analogy has really gone off the rails here, I think.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conceptual artists don't need tools.

Tools are not the art, as much as tools are not the house, building or fixing or improving things yes.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Sometimes, we think too hard about something. A simple analogy has really gone off the rails here, I think.

Quite a bit so, Brian.

Allan -

You're taking tools too literally. Any technique is a tool in my analogy. Ducking, slipping, stepping in, etc. are tools. Just because they're not hand, arm, leg, foot, strikes or grapples doesn't mean they're not tools.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

Imho!

A dancer uses his/her mind and body. Those are tools. A singer uses his/her mind and voice; tools.

I really can't take this any further.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

Imho!

A dancer uses his/her mind and body. Those are tools. A singer uses his/her mind and voice; tools.

I really can't take this any further.
So as it stands "everything" is considered a tool?

Just not by me; perhaps I'm not the sharpest tool in the tool shed.

The next time someone has an axe to grind with me, hopefully I will not need to put my nose to the grindstone, with my newly found MA toolbox, I will easily be able to rewire their circuitry and fuse out their lights.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:

Mechanics don't win races, drivers do.

Mechanics and engineers definitely win races, watch any race series like Formula 1 or rallying and the car (tool in this analogy?) and the mechanics make or break a driver.

Anyway I digress. I think this analogy is spiraling out of control now.

What I, and I guess many members of the forum envisage when we say "tools in the toolbox" is that we all have a number of responses in our personal repertoire. Whether that be strikes, locks, throws, bobbing and weaving. The right tool for the job is just selecting an appropriate response from our proverbial toolbox.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like the mechanical connection with tools with everything (including martial arts) has firmly taken hold, as there is no escape from this technological phenomenon.

I'm all for technological improvements that saves lives or improves the quality of life for those that are unfortunate for whatever reason.

As martial arts (hand to hand combat) has all been mapped out long before we were born, to use our modern day tool tech to understand it better is certainly understandable.

Body mechanics is a recent term invented within my lifetime. I constantly learn and enjoy the benefits from this way of understanding.

Martial arts and geometry is another fascination for me as well as the human nervous system and fight physiology.

However my interest in ancient Chinese understanding (wisdom) that spans back almost 40 years, has personally stood the test of time.

My martial art practice is 50% theory and 50% practice; this is the Chinese way.

I Ching, Bagua and Yin/Ying including Taiji are doorways of understanding my martial art way; no technology or theory can escape the profound understanding of these gifts from the ancient Chinese past.

As we all need new ways of seeing or using every day objects for examples in explaining our ideas to others as similarities are usually close by.

Leverage principles from engineering can make a mediocre martial artist in to someone outstanding, with enough practice and understanding that person could become close to invincible.

Using the right tool for the job in my mind is not the end all answer for using a technique for a target. This way of thinking is actually discouraged in some ma styles that I have learned that are energy awareness based.

If references to tools or any ma concept works for the style, then who am I to disagree.

Not to use what works isn't intelligent reasoning, how ever using what works is.

As reasoning prevails, I have incorporated modern day objects in to my teaching. This is on a trial basis only, as a way to motivate and inspire enthusiasm for my martial arts students.

Moments before a sparring class this evening, I ask them "If you were a motorcycle which one would you choose to be?

One answered "A Kawasaki Ninja"

A class they will probably never forget; very enjoyable to say the least.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: